89 SC The Rocky Road ..@NY

f1rocco

I seen this 92 SC 3 weeks ago parked next to my mothers house and thought....Hey I want one of those..I totally forgot they made these cars....I parked my car and then noticed...Wow no plates and a for sale sign $3K 5 Spd .....I used my mother to call her neighbor and see if I could get a deal.....Moms will do anything...
Guy wants 3k for a 153k mile brand new rebuilt ported and all that Jazz motor...By him a finicky master mechanic....Same price he has been asking for years.....I tell him Ill take a look and have some cash maybe we can work a deal..........I look at the car and see the thermostat isnt seated properly....Oil is dirty and smells like fuel..Body rot under the hood inside of corners of ground effects.Tires bald..So I offer him $2300..Which was dumb by me but I wanted one...He says no he wants $3k..I walk away and I didnt look back....

In between this time I was on this site trolling for info on the good and the bad going back years....But there was the approval process by the admins...I couldnt get in and at one time my account was deleted....

So I didnt buy the SC and couldnt get into the forum.....I was getting frustrated........

Well two days ago after searching all of craigslist SCCoA TCCoA and ebay in a 3 state area I found one.....

Off of Ebay a 1989 SC 5spd..Blown head gasket...Guy has new bolts and head gaskets...He owned a few SCz before and noticed a vapor trail on cold November morning and shut her off....Hasnt driven it since..."Appears" to have little body probs...Yup I said "appears"....I go Monday to pick it up....I trust the guy but this has been a Rocky Road so far....

$805

100B2080.jpg

Im 36 yrs old from Rochester NY...

Current wheels

2001 Ford ZX2
2.0 auto...Cause Id kill it if it were a stick..Bought smart

1975 F150
2whl 390 4brl

1978 Bronco
460 ci
1 Ton Axles
Full Cage
44" tires

Used to work at Kodak now work as an Electrician

Well thanks everyone ahead of time....
Ill be here for a while..Im a auto forum type guy........

F1

Last edited:
Welcome!

You're smart to walk away from the rotten one. Hopefully, the one you're getting is solid. I don't know about you, but I'm willing to do about any amount of mechanical work if I don't have to deal with body problems! Make sure your car doesn't have any coolant in the oil from the H/G problem, and you'll probably be okay with a head gasket swap. I had a 90LX that popped the gaskets, and it was okay with new head gaskets. Just depends on how they go. This is an excellent site for anything and everything pertaining to the SC. The $15 membership fee will pay back hundreds of times over...

JD

Ill give it a good check.....

I figure Ill get the heads decked the bare min..New valve springs..Check out the clearance...Guy also has a spare running 89 motor and 5spd 130k Im buying off him....A 460 is in his other SC now...

I live near Watkins Glen and have buddies that race down there with Mustangs..This has been something Ive always wanted to do..Run some laps at The Glen..Post a lap time...

My old job pays up to $5k for re-education ...I think I will become a race car driver on their tab...They might even cover the cost of my car...Rule says schooling must be twice as much as supplies to cover all cost...After tax...This is good for $2600.......lol.

F1

Welcome aboard F1, this is definately the site to search if you are new to owning a SC, or in my case a long time owner that doesn't know squat. :confused:
Soooo much info here from people that know their stuff. :D

Thanks..

Well even more troubles.......

The seller got in an accident in another car and messed himself up pretty good....A person ran a stop sign at him...Hes walking and talking but sore....

My buddy who is the trailer guy...Well his sister got in an accident and might be in some legal troubles...And still in the hospital after two days ...So the pickup of my 1st SC is delayed another week...

Oh and we got 20" of snow in the last two days....

Oh one more big one......

Last Friday I seen another SC with no plates just 5 minutes down the road..In the rich neighborhood...Well I stopped today.....Very Clean 89 SC 5 speed...Keith Black Pistons and all that...200 miles on rebuilt but the 5 speed is shot.....He has another tranny in his garage....50 year old owner with bad wrist..Cant wrench anymore......No time and not interested in the car anymore..He boughta truck now as he puts it...Oh and outta work on disability..I told him to call me later today on a price he might want.......But yuuuuuck the ugliest interior...No offense but its that purple wine color...Thats now faded in spots....Almost not worth buying the car just cause of the interior...I dont even want to touch it....Yuck.....

If I can get this other one for $1000 and I see under the hood and I get the other tranny......Well Ill just own my 1st two SCs in one week......$2200 for both.........Instead of the $2300 for the 1st one I that didnt work out...

Welcome

Hope to see anyother SC at some of the cruise nights around Rochester. There has only been about one or two others who come out.

Attachments

• sc.jpg
    sc.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 42
I might be up and running by 4/1....

I stopped by again to buy another SC locally..#2..If the cruise nights consist of cruising and not just drinking coffee in a Resturant I will show....Too many local auto clubs just like to chat and tell stories once a month......I like to convoy around in a pack........Thats how I like to roll....

Cya Soon and thanks..

F1

I made quite a few trips out to the Gorham area last year and saw more than a few SC's sitting in yards with no plates wasting away. If I had room I would have made more of an attempt at picking them up, but I didn't have the space and realisitcally, I don't have the money to keep adding SC's to my collection when I have 2 right now that need work to be roadworthy again.

As for the head gasket issue, I would definitely have the heads checked at your local machine shop and planed at the very least to ensure there is no warpage from the blown gaskets. It's relatively cheap insurance to make sure you're not tearing your engine back down because your heads were warped and you tried to save a few bucks.

Also, feel free to check out this site: http://nymn12club.proboards83.com/index.cgi

Anyone residing in New York is welcome there and we'd love to see you there as well. Welcome to the wonderful world of SC ownership. I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

Well after a 10 hour road trip I finally have my 1st SC.....

And just as clean as the seller said.....Tires are even good.....

Here is a good one..Whats the chances

We pick up the car and drive 15 miutes down the road to fill the truck up with some fuel before our long trek home.....SC on the trailer.....A wrecker truck pulls in 2 minutes behind us with a junk car on it......Yup a Cougar with the SC engine...Bigger Maf and cold air tube and the K&N..Has a few mods....He asked if I wanted to buy it...Runs and drives and fairly clean $1000.....He then tells me he has a junkyard up the road with a couple more SC $1000 each....Says he has a 1990 and one with a 302... If I only had a few extra hours...

Well I got the Junk guys number and I also have the seller of the SC I just bought that lives right next to the Junkyard.................

I can see these SCz becoming an addiction

They can become an addiction, but be careful about getting too many and not having enough money to fix any of them properly. These cars take money to keep running efficiently, hence the reason this junkyard guy probably has so many in his yard. Alot of people think they have found the exception to this rule, only to find out what everyone else has, these cars are very maintenance intensive and need alot of attention to stay roadworthy.
All I'm saying is, don't spread yourself too thin in buying a bunch of cars all at once and then not being able to afford to fix any of them. That's the quickest way to get discouraged and end up dumping all of them out of frustration.

They can become an addiction, but be careful about getting too many and not having enough money to fix any of them properly. .

Very True.....

I currently own a few 1975-1979 Ford trucks and do alot of hard 4x4ing...I believe in taking my time and finding cheap parts or donor parts vehicles that dont interfere with paying bills..I spend money and time on one at a time....Slow and Cheap is the key.....

Heres a pic of my main squeeze

78 Bronco
460ci
44" tires
1ton axles
Full cage

untitled.jpg

And the latest pic of SC#1 after getting her home

100B2050.jpg

Newer pics below

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h184/f1rocco460/SuperCoupes/

Well thanks to everyone here...

and a special Thanks to members

KMT

xr7dave

For helping me out to get the ball running full speeed on my SC in time for Spring get togethers with other SCCoA members........

Parts have been ordered for phase 1

Cam/springs/pushrods/HGz/ARPz/Taylorwires/doublerollerchain/

Not bad for only having the car 5 days...Showin her some luv...

Thanks all

Last edited:
J:

I think you're off to a good start. Got your SC and already made a parts connection.

Can you continue to run the car with no front plate? I wish I could. Hate having to hide the 'SC' in the nose. Good color on it too :)

Ken

makes me miss mine. i wonder what ever happened to it... the kid got a solid solid bodied car that was easy to run... i hear alot of these girls are rotting away pretty good now.

Thanks....

I actually tracked mine down to the original owner since I had some paperwork....His wife had an odd spelling of her first name and I found a recent pic of the original owner and his new project....It appears it was his wifes car......She had all the paper work in her name up til 1994...

Picture Below...

1925 Fire Car Roadster

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/ncmtfc/tommy3.jpg

Attachments

• tommy3.jpg
    tommy3.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 43
Back