Thread: how to make octane booster?

how to make octane booster?

Tolulene and Xyelene

I heard something about these products being able to make your own octane booster.

So has anybody tried it?
    How do you make it and where do you get the products to make it?

Thanks

Raymond

You should be able to buy Xylene or Toluene at a hardware store. My friend runs either one in his 1987 Grand National. He said he uses about a 10% mix with 93 octane (ex: 9 gallons of gas, one gallon xylene) and he also said be sure too put in a cap full of tranny oil or marvel oil in the gas mix too, otherwise the xylene/toluene will eat through the metal gas lines after time.
    -TY

There are links on the web to give you that info. You need to watch the percentages very closely as you can damage oxygen sensors.

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/gasoline-octane.html

Toluene appears to be the more popular additive. A very information link on toluene is found here:

http://elektro.cmhnet.org/~audi/audi/toluene.html

Hmmmmmm......I've got access to both in my paint shop. Maybe I'll give it a try.........maybe.

if you want to blow your motor...use them. They suck. Basically...they lean out your mixture, running lean will give you more power, but with high heat. I say dont waste your time, spend the money get race fuel....104 oct. just my 2 cents

Read the links. Toluene would not cause lean conditions as it isn't adding any additional oxygen to lean the mixture, it is pure hydrocarbons containing only Hydrogen and Carbon atoms. It also has a higher energy output per unit volume than typical gasoline.

High percentages of Toluene could cause issues with cold starting due to it's dramatically higher temperature required to burn. With long hydrocarbon chains, it takes more heat/pressure to trigger ignition, and they are slower to burn.

I wouldn't run enhanced high octane fuel unless I was actually racing. Because it takes longer to burn and higher pressure, normal driving when not under boost isn't going to allow for complete ignition of the mixture. That will create tons more carbon deposits that are not the best for the cylinders and exhaust valves.

When under boost, our cars have sufficiently high enough cylinder pressures/heat to completely burn 92 octane fuel and probably even 102 octane fuel.

Tech stuff in the non tech area... oh well.

I've started just running a gallon of track gas either 104 or 110 instead of octane boosters and I'm running better than with the octane boosters. It's about the same price, too. I add a gallon to just under 1/8 tank.

a certain someone that wrote a trans article also did a octane booster article. check tccoa.com under articles for it.