Sunroof or No

Sunroof

• Total voters
Mine doesn't have a sunroof which is something I really miss from a previous car. I never had any problems with leaks, and if I did I would have fixed it anyways. Re-upholstering the headliner is a very cheap fix if you do it yourself.

Like Tim, my car is a pretty low option SC from the factory. 5-speed, non-electric rearview mirror or auto headlamps. Base sound system with cassette, and cloth seats. I'm not sure if floormats were options on these cars, but this car and my first LX were pretty base model cars and neither had floormats, at least since before I owned them. The important options, are the ones that every bird comes with standard like power windows and door locks. I may have a sunroof put in my car one day, but it would have to look as factory as possible. We have a place that does good work like that in my area.

Chris

Last edited:
So I'm guessing that I must own one of the lowest optioned SCs made. Most people on here have a sunroof, mine doesnt. I also dont have VMM, leather interior, split fold rear seat or auto dim headlights. Also has a regular rear view mirror instead of the auto dim one. It's also a 5-speed; anyone else have one like this?

I had a 1990 Supercoupe like that - it didn't have the autodim headlights or mirror, no sunroof, no leather, no VMM. It had Premium sound (not JBL), and it did have power everything. That one was totalled, however.

The one I have now is also a 1990, but high-option. Moonroof, auto-dim lamps, JBL sound.

Got one, and love it. their is nothing like opening it all the way up were it moves back into the header. Those also come on the Lincoln mark 7, or 8 if any body wanted to throw one on their bird .

The 35th has a sunroof, the 93 does not. I voted with the 35th since it's completely wrong to say I don't have a sunroof, since one of my cars does, and only unspecific to simply say I do have a sunroof, as there was no way to vote for yes and no.

Had a moonroof in my 91 and it is the reason i scrapped it, as ford in it's infinite wisdom lets the sunroof drain water go right into the rocker panels.
Therefore the rockers rot out faster than the non roof cars.
My 89 does not have a moonroof and for the same mileage it's rockers are mint.
Also my dam moonroof seal was shrunk and leaked air and water like a bastard which rotted out the drivers floor to the size of a football(neglect on the previous owners part).
All in all it's a cool option but for the rot,noise and hassles of it possibly breaking down i don't need a hole in my roof anymore and i thank god my 89 does not have one.

On a side note my 89 was a wierdly optioned car when i got it,cloth interior,no vmm,manual climate control,no moonroof,regular radio(not even premium) but it did have auto lamps/auto dim/cornering lights and an auto.
It now is a fully loaded car with every option except the moonroof(all parts came out of my scrapped 91 including the black leather interior as it was a loaded car with every option but the 89's autolamps,go figure:D).

Would not own one with a moornroof. :) Have had 3 without....so far. Never thought it would do much for body structure stiffness to cut a hole in a perfectly good roof....whatever the reason. Also the routing of the drain lines is problematic.

When I bought mine new, I did not want a moon roof. It added weight and did nothing for rigidity.

I did not want ditch lights, auto climate control, leather or an automatic either. There was not many to choose from, but I did get everything I wanted.

My car isn't an SC (so I wont do the poll), but I have a sunroof and an opinion on them. My 91 XR7 has the sunroof and I almost never use it. I don't like the hot sun on me, so don't want it open on a sunny day. Don't want it open on a cold day. The ONLY time I like it open is on a hot night. It's pretty nice then, but I think the inside of a car stays cleaner (from dust) if you keep all the windows closed, so even on hot nights, I prefer A/C over an open moonroof. I guess in my case, "moonroof" is a better name since I only like it at night. I've had the car since 1993 and have used the roof maybe 5 times.
Kids love the roof! I'm single and had a divorced lady (that I liked) and her kid and niece in the car. They wanted it open. So in that case, the roof was cool to have.
I've had wind noise in the car for a long time now from the bad weatherstrip. I replaced it but it still makes noise. I have to adjust it, AGAIN. I think sunroofs are sort of cool. but at the same time, a very overrated option. The people with the 68-70 Cougars that have them really like em, especially the G cars. I guess because they are relatively very rare compared to our cars.
I'm a little surprised that they make the car less stable for racing. How fast are you making those turns?? But if it adds weight, that's bad. Like someone at mercurycougar dot net said "if it doesn't make it go faster, it makes it go slower". I guess a hole in the roof could be less safe in a bad accident.

92 with
90 & 92 without
Don't like any type of holes in my roof. They will eventually leak!

Danny

I have had SCs with sunroofs in the past. My current 92 doesnt have one. It's nice in the fall but as stated before they eventually leak and I hate the wind noise at high speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the look and the options it presents.

We have 2 mths of heat and the rest is in a state of flux. Nothing like running the heat full with the roof open.

Cover up does everything it should to protect interior.

Smoking in the car is a viable option.

You get to beat the groundhog in the spring.

Interesting option with a date.

Car is in motion, water runs down hill. Drill the back of the rocker, repaint the hole and enjoy.

92 with
90 & 92 without
Don't like any type of holes in my roof. They will eventually leak!

Danny

My 1991 has a sunroof, it leaks on the drivers side.

I'm not a huge fan of convertibles, T-Tops, or sunroofs (I don't like weak points on a car) Since mine came with a sunroof, I might as well try to enjoy it. Once it doesn't leak I'll probably like it more.

With my A/C not working (and my passenger window not able to roll down) the sunroof is a real life saver in the summer. Between the driver window, roof and decent cruising speeds, there's enough breeze to keep fairly comfortable below 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

Gonna get my window and A/C fixed up before next summer, it was a bit difficult to stay cool at 90 degrees in stop and go traffic :D

I have an 89 SC without and just picked up another 89 SC with. At 6'2" I prefer the headroom over having the sunroof...as a matter of a fact I may weld a piece of metal over the hole since I have to paint the newest acquisition. It needs a headliner too so.........

Back