Thread: Is this from an SC?

Is this from an SC?

Here is a shot of a mustang getting a rear end and SC engine swap done to it but the rear brake rotors are on the inside beside the rear end??? Anyone see something like this before?? Sorry...but here are some bad digital shots of the car, only had my pda camera with me.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

It's hard to see what's going on in those pictures, but it isn't that uncommon to use a Jaguar type IRS setup on older hot rods, which locates the disc brakes directly on either side of the centersection.

-Rod

The control arms and spindle are from an SC (or could be any 89-97 tbird/cougar) but the differential and brakes are not from a bird. Probably a jaguar diff with the SC control arms. I don't know why he would do that instead of just putting the 8.8 diff in there and running SC disc rear brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
    I don't know why he would do that instead of just putting the 8.8 diff in there and running SC disc rear brakes.

Less unsprung weight.............

The Jaguar IRS also uses the half shafts in place of upper control arms...not sure why you wouldn't just stick to one or another here.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhawg View Post
    Less unsprung weight.............
    Ok, that's a logical reason. I personally would prefer the ability to do brakes in under an hour instead of 6 hours, but at least there is an explanation for it.

Yeah, I don't see anything that looks like Jaguar-ish in the pics. I'm sure a few other companies besides Jaguar used inboard brakes but can't think of who they were/are off hand. Jag went to ordinary outboard brakes ages ago but of course there are still loads of the old inboard brake IRS units out there.

Cheers
    DD