What I learned today

Miller

I pulled the tbird outa the garage where its been sitting since november...

- Manual steering is the worst idea, ever.
- The brake booster did not fix my brakes.
- My car is loud
- Bondo dust is hard to clean off

Last edited:
Millugh...Why do you have manual steering? What did you use for a rack? Do you have the full size tires on the fronts?

Chris

Chris I actualyl have No idea why I have manual steering. At the time I thought YEAAAAAAAAA SAVE SOME HP SWEEEEEEET. i also did an electric waterpump... but that waterpump is on my shelf now, so the Ps was a big waste.

I think its an old falcon manual rack. I got it made by the guy that made Tims rack. I have the stock size tires on the front now, yea. I think im gonna have to go a little skinier on the fronts. I never drive crazy or push my car handling wise at all, so im not worried about it really.

I am upset about my brakes tho. They get real hard after hitting the brakes once or twice. I have a big vac can and replaced the booster but still same shiz. I dont know what do to now, its real dangerous how it is now.

give you a brake???

I am upset about my brakes tho. They get real hard after hitting the brakes once or twice. I have a big vac can and replaced the booster but still same shiz. I dont know what do to now, its real dangerous how it is now.
Maybe I should say "your car"
I came up with one setup that works fine for me. I gave that info to Tim and he put it on his car as well. There have been a few other people that have used other masters with mixed results. You could do a search and see what comes up or I could tell you what Tim put on his car. It is a full manual setup and there is a lot of room left when it is all set....Rich

Rich, my cars a 94 so I dont have the massive ABS system that the early cars have on there so idk how much room i'd really save , if any

a bunch

Rich, my cars a 94 so I dont have the massive ABS system that the early cars have on there so idk how much room i'd really save , if any

You get rid of everything and replace it with a master that is 3"x4"x6" and that's it. As you can see there is a lot of room you pick up. aand you don't have to worry about vacumm any more....Rich

Miller old falcons didnt have "racks"

Your car has a MUSTANG RACK....As I told you it would be before you bought the one you did from Tims guy

Tims rack

Miller old falcons didnt have "racks"

Your car has a MUSTANG RACK....As I told you it would be before you bought the one you did from Tims guy

Tim got a rack from a mustang II. That is the most used rack on the road today. He had talked to me about rack before he did his. He was going to use the one I have, but it was too $$$ for him. I have a "wildwood" rack in one car, the other one is also a mustang II. Hope this helps you as well....Rich

question, how mcuh easier is a manual rack(like the mustang 2) over the OEM rack?

I still run the OEM rack, and with skinnies, its not really that bad to turn.

Now, compared to my first car(1964 Fairlane), it had a manual steering....it was no easier than what I'm running now on the bird.

Miller if you like your cam, and its really big, give the Rhoads lifters a shot. You will gain back 4-5 in of vac and that should make your brakes work better.
You will have to take the intake manifold off, but at least you will not have to take the front cover off to change out the too big of a cam.

Tuning should not change too much at high RPMS.
http://www.rhoadslifters.com/Pages/OriginalOERoller.html

Miller had a vacuum leak originally which I believe he fixed..So the brake issue is most likely unrelated to the cam

So his brakes were working fine after the leak was found and now the leak is back causing him to loose vac :confused:

Or the brakes worked poorly all along precam, vaccum fix, and after canister. The canister helped but did not cure my problems the smaller cam and the rhoads lifter too care of it once and for all.

So his brakes were working fine after the leak was found and now the leak is back causing him to loose vac :confused:

Or the brakes worked poorly all along precam, vaccum fix, and after canister. The canister helped but did not cure my problems the smaller cam and the rhoads lifter too care of it once and for all.

Brakes never worked quite right. Pre-cam... post cam... before the vacuum leak was discovered... after it was fixed... didn't matter. He has always complained about them.

I think he just needs to get rid of those stock front pads and get some braking power in the damn thing.

Ira

Miller are have you tried bleeding the system the proper way with the tool that also bleeds the ABS unit.

never tried with zee tool. anybody around here have one and wanna help out ? its not that the pads arent working, its that the pedal gets hard. brakes worked pre-cam.. cams not big, just ~~~~~~.

there is a difference

question, how mcuh easier is a manual rack(like the mustang 2) over the OEM rack?

I still run the OEM rack, and with skinnies, its not really that bad to turn.

Now, compared to my first car(1964 Fairlane), it had a manual steering....it was no easier than what I'm running now on the bird.

you can tell a car with the power steering off over a car that is built without power. If you drive one you could see the better steering. Now for the track, there is not much reason to do it, unless you get the car "sideways" then you will be thanking everyone if you have the correct rack in the car....Rich

you can tell a car with the power steering off over a car that is built without power. If you drive one you could see the better steering. Now for the track, there is not much reason to do it, unless you get the car "sideways" then you will be thanking everyone if you have the correct rack in the car....Rich

don't know if this makes much difference, but I don't run the pump.....just have the lines at the rack routed together..

This is still harder to turn.

don't know if this makes much difference, but I don't run the pump.....just have the lines at the rack routed together..

That is what a lot of people do. It is harder to turn that setup then it is to use a rack from a mustang II. There is also the weight that you save. I admit it is not a lot of weight, but it is some.....Rich

That is what a lot of people do. It is harder to turn that setup then it is to use a rack from a mustang II. There is also the weight that you save. I admit it is not a lot of weight, but it is some.....Rich

allright, thanks.:)

oh, I'm all about saving weight.

question, does any pinto/mustang 2 style manual rack, bolt in and go?

Back