ABS brake parts needed

kieron

Hello, I need an ABS pressure switch and should probably replace the pump motor relay for my 1992 SC. I am having a hard time finding the parts and I have the feeling that even if I do, they are going to cost me an arm and a leg. Any ideas on where to get these parts? Also, is it ok to use used parts in this case? I have another SC the same year that has a blown head gasket, worst case, could I use the parts off of it?

I would really appreciate any info regarding this, my car is in great shape and was running well. Now, I have no breaks and no transportation-HELP
I live in the Santa Cruz area, just in case there is someplace local that can help me (slim chance, but you never know). Thanks, Kieron

There are folks in your area that might be able to help. I'm sure they will jump in here in a bit.
Ford Auto recyclers in Rancho Cordova sell the ABS brake unit REBUILT for around 450.00 with core.
Give them a call to see if they have one and if the price is still the same..........and yes they are spendy.

Kurt

Are you sure it's the switch and not the accumulator ball......

It could even be the relay switch.....

How did you trouble shoot the system to figure out its the pressure switch......

i bought the switch

new last year from the ford parts guy for around 100 bucks

its a pita iirc....not that i put it in;) ddubb might be able to recall the pain it was...

and even if its not the relay, buy one anyways for the new pressure switchs sake...they are cheap and available at winchester auto...

as for your parts car, i say yes on using the parts...to find so you can drive it again, but you should still buy new parts for longevity...

Are you sure it's the switch and not the accumulator ball......

It could even be the relay switch.....

How did you trouble shoot the system to figure out its the pressure switch......

o Depressed brake pedal, hard, 20 times.
o Turned IS to RUN.
o ABS pump did not activate.
o With 1 person pressing on brake pedal,
o o Grounded pin 4 of ABS Pump Motor Relay connector
o o Relay energized, and brake pedal dropped a little bit.

So it isn't the relay, doesn't act like it's the accumulator,
and doesn't appear to be the pump (fingers crossed).

Anything else I should try before swapping the pressure switch? (and relay)

Thanks,
Kieron

new last year from the ford parts guy for around 100 bucks

its a pita iirc....not that i put it in;) ddubb might be able to recall the pain it was...

and even if its not the relay, buy one anyways for the new pressure switchs sake...they are cheap and available at winchester auto...

as for your parts car, i say yes on using the parts...to find so you can drive it again, but you should still buy new parts for longevity...

Thanks for the Winchester Auto tip - will do.
Ford parts guy? Who/which/where?

Thanks,
Kieron

Hey K...

So you did the basic review of the issue...

Is the car leaking ? if so... it may be leaking from the pressure valve under the drivers area... they go bad...

So if it leaks from here you need to get another one from a junk yard.
Accc. ball could be still be faulty if its the original one --- but to be honest... sounds like a half working relay... very easy to fix and worth doing just in case.

Overall...

Accumulator ball.
Relay
Brake Valve Sensor under the car ( oh... check to see if it's plugged in)

Those are the areas I had problems with... no need for Master Cyl and all that... let me know what you find...

John ( Tracy,CA)

Back