Year One AutoX

Mercutio

SCCoA Member
When I left today I was still in first place with a 27.00. This is the first chance I've had to run my SC on an identical course to where I've run my LX. Two years ago on the same track with the same model and size of tire the LX ran a 27.39, so that's a nice piece of objective data to have. At least now I have proof that the SC is a better autocrosser than the lighter LX. Anyway, I don't think my time will hold up against some of the Corvettes and Scoobys that are likely to show up tomorrow, but I have to admit I really want to win the media division. We'll see what happens tomorrow...

Oh, and autoXing on street tires after doing it exclusively on Hoosiers for a year and a half takes a HUGE driver adjustment.

Congrats on the first place, I hope it stands up. What's a Scooby and what are the street tires you're running.

A Scooby is a Subaru. Two years ago a kid brought an STI to this event and ran a 25.xx. There's just no way to fight AWD on a tight course.

is there anyway to make a tbird handle like its on rails? i'm to scared to take corners with my lx:p

Are they in your class or would they knock you out of first overall only?

The classes at this show are pretty basic: 1981 and earlier domestic, 1982 and later domestic, and import. But I guess anything another media person drove would be in my class.

Tim G, you can definitely make a T-Bird handle well, but it will never be a Porsche (although I have beat some of those). My simple recipe would be this: Koni shocks, ST springs, Addco sway bars, wider wheels and the best tires you can afford. That last part is crucial--buying those other parts is a complete waste of money if you cheap out on tires. I run Goodyear GSD3s.

Overall results:

1. Kyle Tucker, Detroit Speed & Engineering 69 Camaro (top vendor car, but not eligible for awards): 26.73
2. Me (top media car, not eligible for awards): 26.80
3. Some guy in a Z06 (first place in the actual contest): 26.97

No one else was under 27. The top time in the pre-82 class was somewhere in the 28s. And wow, can Kyle (and Stacy!) Tucker drive. That car is amazing, too. If anyone here has a first or second gen Camaro you need to talk to them about chassis setup. The car that won is their test mule, with 335 rubber in back and 275 in front. If I had gone out again and again and again I might have beat them, but there's no shame in finishing .07 behind that car.

Excellant Will! That must be a lot of fun. I did it twice in my Cougar but it wasn't prepared at all, I mostly just tore up my tires.
If anyone here has a first or second gen Camaro you need to talk to them about chassis setup.
Well if they're the guys to talk to about camaro's I guess that makes you the man to talk about setting up an SC!
When is your next competition? I may be able to come down and watch or maybe even run, probably just watch.:p

I believe someone from Air Ride Technologies, who sponsored the autocross, was taking pictures, but I'm not sure. I'll see if I can email them Monday and get some pics. There were other mags shooting the autoX but I can't imagine any of them would run a picture of my car, or even take a picture of it, for that matter.

Congrats on the good showing. You may be media, but that doesn't mean you have a ton of money sunk into that thing. Shows how nice the mn12 chassis can be.

Congrates Will. Gosh a 27 second course is such a teaser, small parking lot?

Oh a side note, Will when you are running your Hoosiers do you run into any tire rub on the fenders?

Shane
Glynn Motorsports

No rub with the Hoosiers. The offset on the 95 Cobra R wheel isn't perfect for our cars, so they do stick out a bit. However, I've never had a problem on a flat autocross course, especially with the shocks on full firm--but I'll bet that if I ran that wheel and tire combo on the street the rears would definitely touch the fenders.

Hmm I'll have to order the adjuster knobs from Koni soon so I dont keep cutting into my tires when I autox my car. I dont have much body roll at all but they still are rubbing. I am considering rolling the fenders as a solution.

Shane
Glynn Motorsports

Hmm I'll have to order the adjuster knobs from Koni soon so I dont keep cutting into my tires when I autox my car. I dont have much body roll at all but they still are rubbing. I am considering rolling the fenders as a solution.

Shane
Glynn Motorsports

If you feel like fabbing, it works better to just cut the lip off. Start from about half way down on both the front and back of the wheel well, and cut the lip off for both the inner and outer fender.

Then grind it to a bevel, and weld a strip of steel around that circumfrence to add some stiffness back to the fender. That will give you the most possible room there. If you just roll the fender lip, you still get about a 1/8"-1/4" of metal that can be in the way. Cut it and weld a strip in there and get 1/16th to 1/8th back.

Back