Kooks headers - blah. FMIC - blah. MP Plenum, not so Blah anymore...

Nice seeing the updates with what little things you have done and how each improved or didn't improve. Its seems many of us try to get a ton of things at once and have you tune it and hope for the big numbers.

Anyway to see ring problems like you describe by looking at the plugs or is it just something that doesn't perform well and leaves you guessing until you finally break out the money and do it right?

chris

Haha! Therein lies the secret. See he *needs* me help on some things with his car so he has to pay for that one way or another. Plus he's not allowed to (further) mod his car until he has 1 yr behind the wheel.

Oh, and his car is already faster than mine so you know what that means. :cool:

Let's here it for the boy! :D

Ira

So Phil's car made it to the dyno tonight. How depressing was that you ask?

Well, his made 268rwhp all while making only 13.5psi boost. Fail.

Seriously though, look at the mods and consider the facts.

My car:

FMIC
MP2 (with coated rotors)
Raised top
75mm TB
85mm CAI and MAF
UD pulleys
Kooks mid lengths, loud exhaust
Alcohol injection
16.5psi boost

His car:

Cam (mild, pulls 18" vacuum and idles @ 700rpm)
Unported heads but big valves and 5 angle valve job.
Ported 89 blower with coated rotors
Raised top
65MM TB
75MM intake and MAF
Quiet exhaust (2" downtubes) and stock manifolds
5% pulley
13.5psi boost.

We both have 50lb injectors and are properly tuned.

His car basically has a junk blower and stock intercooler, a wimpy exhaust by SC standards, and a bunch of other cast off parts.

My car has all the trick bolt ons - all of them!

Tells you something about the benefits of "choosing wisely." I had no idea how this was going to turn out but it so happened that we had all the parts laying around to do this and I thought it would be fun to try. Granted my car is going to get a lot of engine work soon so the things I put on it really were intended to support a lot more power than this, but the point remains - know what your goals are and focus on things that are going to net results. Cool stuff isn't cool if your junk is still slow.

:)

Dave,

Well at least Phil's is running good. There must be an internal issue with your motor, that's killing the power.

David

Dave, are you sure that your car is properly tuned??? I mean.....I think you should recheck that just to be on the safe side. MUHAHA

Is phil's car a 5-speed or auto?

Sounds aggervating. I'm going through the same issue with my 03. Run last year on 13psi trapped 96 mph, swapeed to bigger headers/crossover raised boost to 17psi and still a 96mph trap, 20psi/ 19*timing with purple kool aid and still a 96mph trap lol, ~~~!!! I sure do hope a converter swap fixes this.

I remember back in the day I had exhaust, MP inlet, late model blower, CAI, and 15psi. Made 269/388. Sounds like Phil's right on the money.

For instance, you get to a point where it seems like you have a governor on your car, regardless of what you do to it. This happens to most drag cars, too. For mine, it'll be fast at one race then put it in the trailer and take it out somewhere else and all of a sudden be four tenths slow. Doesn't matter what you do to it, it still runs four tenths slower. Compression tests even pass. Then you pull the motor out and it's .010"+ piston-to-wall. Or possibly a crack in a ring land.

Intake- You know you have plenty of it, but it's not reciprocating.
Fuel- I know those AFR's are dead nuts.
Ignition- Runs obviously and timing's there.
Compression- Only thing left!

I know you understand, Double Deez. Just throwing it out there for JT, too.

Ya, this motor was always weak. Even stock. I mean come on, 182rwhp??? lol

Funny thing is I've never observed any excessive blowby or oil consumption. I'm thinking that someone in it's previous life ran too much regular gas and rattled the rings at the top of the bore causing severe wear in the last 3/4" of travel. I've seen this before. We'll see whenever I pull it apart.

David, yes Phil's car is quick, no doubt on that. Even with that early model blower on it.

Ya, this motor was always weak. Even stock. I mean come on, 182rwhp??? lol

Funny thing is I've never observed any excessive blowby or oil consumption. I'm thinking that someone in it's previous life ran too much regular gas and rattled the rings at the top of the bore causing severe wear in the last 3/4" of travel. I've seen this before. We'll see whenever I pull it apart.

David, yes Phil's car is quick, no doubt on that. Even with that early model blower on it.

As I was reading through this post I was going to ask about blowby. My old svo mustang was passed among my racing friends that tried they're best to kill that motor. We're talking about Nos, overboosting, race gas and crazy timing, etc. One point the headgasket blow out against the inside fender. It had several headgaskets done over the years but the forged pistons always held. Finally and I mean Finally what made the motor come out for a rebuild was the blowby under boost. Without boost the motor ran perfect but anything more than 6 psi would just blow right past the rings. The gauge would get 15psi but the motor would only make about 30 more hp. I bet with fresh rings that motor will pick up 45 hp easy. Another thing I've seen that kills hp is a hyper sensitive knock sensor. You would never know when that little bastard is stealing timing from you. Disconnect it and see if there's any change. I doubt there will be but you never know.

It's not the knock sensor, it's disabled. But the rings are a very high probability. I had hoped to make 280rwhp with it which is another 25rwhp. I don't think there's 45rwhp in there though.

It's not the knock sensor, it's disabled. But the rings are a very high probability. I had hoped to make 280rwhp with it which is another 25rwhp. I don't think there's 45rwhp in there though.

OH I think 45 is very possible, because its just so hard to resist putting a cam in and head work while you have it apart. Be strong Dave resist! resist the call of hp! :D

OH I think 45 is very possible, because its just so hard to resist putting a cam in and head work while you have it apart. Be strong Dave resist! resist the call of hp! :D

Nononono, I meant 45rwhp from rings alone. No, if it comes apart it will make 400rwhp afterward, not 300rwhp. ;)

Haha! Therein lies the secret. See he *needs* me help on some things with his car so he has to pay for that one way or another. Plus he's not allowed to (further) mod his car until he has 1 yr behind the wheel.

Oh, and his car is already faster than mine so you know what that means. :cool:

That's not good.....dad's gonna have to step it up. I thought when they turned about 17 or so they knew everthing and we didn't know squat anymore??

Back