Just when you think things are going well...

007_SuperCoupe

Got the SC running again finally...even had it on the road just a bit. Then today while idling it started sputtering and running really rough. Tach started jumping around (I'm thinking cam sensor at this point), then the CE light comes on. I turn it off and pull the code.

Code 511: EEC processor ROM test failure.

I'm going to guess that's NOT the cam sensor. Does this mean a new EEC and IIRC? I'm thinking so...Just want some confirmation from someone who has experienced this. I've already asked Ken, but he didn't actually pull any codes when he had his eec mishap.

I was bored and search for codes..Not sure if they are all the same though..

Says to try this

Battery disconnected, check KAM fuse. if OK module faulty

or

ROM Fault, No power to PCM pin 1 or bad PCM (processor)

Or

Replace PCM

F1

I didnt know what a Kam fuse was so...

Copy and paste...

You simplest solution is to pull the KAM fuse for 15 minutes if you don't have a scanner handy to clear the code. The 5A fuse in the engine compartment mini-fuse box..Pulling it instead of the battery negative cable will reset the computer without messing with your clock and radio settings.

I'll check the KAM fuse tomorrow...I'll also reset the computer as well. I wasn't aware of a KAM fuse either, but will check it out. I'm just not excited about having to replace the eec/iirc. Not that it's hard...I just don't have the money to do it.

Sam,

I get 511 everytime I run the codes on my car...thought that had something to do with having a chip. How old is the gas ?

David

Got the SC running again finally...even had it on the road just a bit. Then today while idling it started sputtering and running really rough. Tach started jumping around (I'm thinking cam sensor at this point), then the CE light comes on. I turn it off and pull the code.

Code 511: EEC processor ROM test failure.

Sounds like you have not found the real code. 511 just means you have a chip and isn't the source of your CEL. You need to retrieve all 3 sets of codes (constant, operating, and memory) to see what's up.

I've never received the 511 before, even with the chip. And that's all there was for codes. I checked all 3. I'll have a little more time this afternoon to dig into it and see what's going on. It was running fine yesterday until I got the 511 code.

Sounds like I've got some more digging to do before I can find out what it is for sure.

I've never received the 511 before, even with the chip. And that's all there was for codes. I checked all 3. I'll have a little more time this afternoon to dig into it and see what's going on. It was running fine yesterday until I got the 511 code.

Sounds like I've got some more digging to do before I can find out what it is for sure.

I get the same code with my chip, ROM means something about memory. Start looking elsewhere. If you want to inspect your computer, take it out of the casing. Mine was literally fried once.

I'm going to try clearing the memory first. I'm just going to disconnect the battery as it's been off for over a year, (different battery) and I haven't had a chance to reset any of the "memory" stuff on the radio. At this point, it's no big deal. :)

The gas is old, but I don't understand why it would run just fine for all my test drives (a total of about 20 miles) and then now it's sputtering and such. It won't take long to disconnect the battery, so that's the first easy thing to do.

I'm sure it's related in some way, but it didn't do this before I hooked my amp up...Not sure if it's really related or not, but I've disconnected it now and will leave it disconnected if that ends up being the source of my issues.

Who knows sounds like the amp and stereo might have killed the old battery....Or a fuse when you were hooking up the amp if the battery was still connected.....Not sure were you tied the amp to...Solenoid...

Hope its simple and a cheap quick fix....Fingers crossed..

F1

Just disconnected the battery and that seems to have fixed it for now...it idles smooth, no CEL. Not sure what went on, but I guess I'll have to keep a close eye on it. It sure would be nice to be able to monitor everything that's going on in the eec...

Drove it to work this morning...kind of...

I was able to get it to reproduce the problem. And, good news here, I was able to get some better codes once I got to work.

My CEL would come on and the car would act as if all the timing had been pulled...then it would go out and the car would run like a champ...then come on...sputter, run like crap...then the CEL would go off and it would be great...all the way to work. Fortunately it's only about 7 miles to work and it's all highway.

I got 2 running codes, 137 and 173...both related to running hog rich. This does not mean I need new O2 sensors as I JUST installed 2 brand new ones last week. I'm confident that they are good and related to the other code that I got.

The other code is 216, EEC processor detected Coil 2 primary circuit failure. This points directly to the DIS module. It would also help explain the erratic tac that I had while I was getting the CEL.

I did make a heat sink for the DIS, but the grounds appear to be really good. I will however go back and insure the grounds are good. I believe I can also have the DIS checked. I'll get that done as well just to see where the issue actually lies. At least I've got a better point to start from now.

Confirmed...DIS is junk. Failed in every possible way that it could. This was likely the source of my intermitten CEL light a couple years ago that I could never hunt down the source of. Allowing the car to sit for a couple years didn't help it get better at all. I'm just not sure that I'm ready to fork over the $250 for a replacement DIS! Ouch!

Got to search for that receipt where I bought one 5 years ago or so...hehe...

Back