shifter bushings f5tz-7228-a

Thanks Ed,
There was nothing between the top and bottom of the ball on the shifter under the boot. Do you know where I can get an exploded view so I know what parts I need and of course the order they go in?

As you can see in the pic, (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113666 #6) the inner plate is beaten up and the boot on the top dust cover plate is cut/ripped.
Sorry for the link, the site will not let me attach the picture to this thread.
I am guessing I am up a creek hoping to find these parts.
Thanks again,
-Dave

If you google the M5R2 you will see a subject in bold [PDF] M5R1, M5R2. It provides a full PDF exploded view of the M5R2 trans. The COMPLETE shifter repair kit is available on Ebay, auction # 190329417479

Does the Shifter Rebuild kit fit?

I know its hard to believe but a simple google of M5R2 will reveal a whole new source of info. ...Try this link, you may have to copy/paste: http://www.google.com/search?source...T4GGLL_enUS346US349&q=m5r2+shifter+repair+kit.

You will also find an ebay auction with the M5R2 Shifter repair kit{complete} auction # 190329417479 for$15.94 w/$5.94 shipping.
The kit fits: 1991-up Ford Thunderbird 5 speed manual RKE ...
As I said just google M5R2 as see what you didn't know..
Also, the part number given here on this post F5TZ-7228-A breaks down F5=1995,TZ=Truck,7228 the specific part group.
It's also a little off of the subject but HURST makes a short throw shifter for the M5R2 trans, looking under truck shifters.
Bob

Thanks Bob, I will work on my myopia.
Bob, have you read this post? Maybe you can help a lot of people.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109130&highlight=Syncros

This is a rebuild article from MN12 Performance.
http://www.cintcc.com/mn12performance/mn12how-to/m5r2_rebuild/m5r2-rebuild-howto.html
Note the shifter on the trans is a Ripper.

BTW check out post #8 of this thread http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113640
It is discussion about a Hurst shifter for a RKE trans, never happened, it appears.

I have never worked on this trans before, so I don’t know much about them. When I do a search and get 1M hits, that is not very useful when the first several pages are just noise for what I am looking for. I have spent 100's of hours attempting to get up to speed on this trans. I choose not to be the first to try something. If one of the old warriors(David Dalke(XR7 Dave), Mike Puckett, ricardoa1, Duffy Floyd, fast Ed) on this forum says this will work, then I would listen. I am interested in personal experience and how the product performed.

I have been searching on this subject in SCCoA, TCCoA, and the Internet in general. I have yet to find an exploded view of the shifter for the RKE M5R2 with part numbers. I have found lots of discussion on the differences in the Ford truck M5R2 and the Ford SC M5R2.

The eBay auction you reference 190329417479, the top cover is not the same as what is on my trans. There is also an inner plate that is not shown in this kit. It is a GREAT price, if it will really work. The 3 black bolts, I have. The other 2 silver ones, I have no idea where they are used. Maybe the bushings are the same.

When I pulled the shifter out, I had 3 pieces, the top can with boot, an inner plate, and the remnant that looks like a flat spring.
-Dave

Thanks Bob, I will work on my myopia.
Bob, have you read this post? Maybe you can help a lot of people.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109130&highlight=Syncros

This is a rebuild article from MN12 Performance.
http://www.cintcc.com/mn12performance/mn12how-to/m5r2_rebuild/m5r2-rebuild-howto.html
Note the shifter on the trans is a Ripper.

BTW check out post #8 of this thread http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113640
It is discussion about a Hurst shifter for a RKE trans, never happened, it appears.

I have never worked on this trans before, so I don’t know much about them. When I do a search and get 1M hits, that is not very useful when the first several pages are just noise for what I am looking for. I have spent 100's of hours attempting to get up to speed on this trans. I choose not to be the first to try something. If one of the old warriors(David Dalke(XR7 Dave), Mike Puckett, ricardoa1, Duffy Floyd, fast Ed) on this forum says this will work, then I would listen. I am interested in personal experience and how the product performed.

I have been searching on this subject in SCCoA, TCCoA, and the Internet in general. I have yet to find an exploded view of the shifter for the RKE M5R2 with part numbers. I have found lots of discussion on the differences in the Ford truck M5R2 and the Ford SC M5R2.

The eBay auction you reference 190329417479, the top cover is not the same as what is on my trans. There is also an inner plate that is not shown in this kit. It is a GREAT price, if it will really work. The 3 black bolts, I have. The other 2 silver ones, I have no idea where they are used. Maybe the bushings are the same.

When I pulled the shifter out, I had 3 pieces, the top can with boot, an inner plate, and the remnant that looks like a flat spring.
-Dave

I have 10 years of Auto Mechanic {Mercury Dealer} experience. I left the dealer for Ford Motor Co to be a leader/Technician working on the company lease cars. All total I have 30 years as an auto mechanic.My buddy, has been rebuilding transmissions {All brands}for 30 years. He said he used one of the gears and syncros from the truck trans to solve an issue with a supercoupe trans. My experience is mostly in driveability and electrical/electronic systems but When he tells me something will work, I believe him. Here is the Google page I talk about. There are alot of different avenues you can follow just from this page. you may have to copy/paste if the link doesn't work. http://www.google.com/search?source...T4GGLL_enUS346US349&q=m5r2+shifter+repair+kit
Bob

Exploded View M5R2 RKE shifter

Actually found a link on this site that referenced a rebuild article for the SC shifter. http://www.frontiernet.net/~miketoni/images/tbird/M5R2 Shifter Rebuild.htm The Lever Boot, E9SZ-7277-A, is obsolete. The Ranger part is round as the SC part has a flat on the passenger side.
Current p/n's seem to be 1L2Z-7228-AA(2), 1L2Z-7Z120-AA(1), E8TZ-7E018-A(4).
slowpoke, suggested a solution of the torn boot of "at autozone in the brake pump fliud lid area you can find some that the flex circles are close to the size of the boot needed for our shifters. they cost around $4. cut the circle flex part out and use an oil resistant resin to mold it to the original plate.

I feel well armed with information and ready to get the parts and rebuild this shifter.

The eBay auctions by partswomen, 190329417479, looks to only have bushings, 1L2Z-7228-AA common to the parts neede to rebuild a SC shifter. The spring that goes in the back of the bushing, 1L2Z-7Z120-AA and the washers E8TZ-7E018-A, are not shown. The Lever Boot is round, the rubber boot look smaller.
-Dave

Actually found a link on this site that referenced a rebuild article for the SC shifter. http://www.frontiernet.net/~miketoni/images/tbird/M5R2 Shifter Rebuild.htm The Lever Boot, E9SZ-7277-A, is obsolete. The Ranger part is round as the SC part has a flat on the passenger side.
Current p/n's seem to be 1L2Z-7228-AA(2), 1L2Z-7Z120-AA(1), E8TZ-7E018-A(4).
slowpoke, suggested a solution of the torn boot of "at autozone in the brake pump fliud lid area you can find some that the flex circles are close to the size of the boot needed for our shifters. they cost around $4. cut the circle flex part out and use an oil resistant resin to mold it to the original plate.

I feel well armed with information and ready to get the parts and rebuild this shifter.

The eBay auctions by partswomen, 190329417479, looks to only have bushings, 1L2Z-7228-AA common to the parts neede to rebuild a SC shifter. The spring that goes in the back of the bushing, 1L2Z-7Z120-AA and the washers E8TZ-7E018-A, are not shown. The Lever Boot is round, the rubber boot look smaller.
-Dave

Dave,I see what you mean in the ebay parts kit. My thought though{looking at the exploded view link you sent} makes me think thr TWO silver screws are actually the two shifter posts themselves. I'm half tempted to buy a kit just to find out. If I spend $20 at least I know I can use Parts of this repair kit. I'd be iteresting to see if we all can get together{start a new post} to solve the dilemma we all face w/5spd M5R2 transmissions. Our only optoins will be to start transplanting t-5/t-45 or the tremec into out Supercoupes...UGHHH
Bob

Dilemma Solved

Dave,I see what you mean in the ebay parts kit. My thought though{looking at the exploded view link you sent} makes me think the TWO silver screws are actually the two shifter posts themselves. I'm half tempted to buy a kit just to find out. If I spend $20 at least I know I can use Parts of this repair kit. I'd be interesting to see if we all can get together{start a new post} to solve the dilemma we all face w/5spd M5R2 transmissions. Our only options will be to start transplanting t-5/t-45 or the tremec into out Supercoupes...UGHHH
Bob

Bob,
I believe you are right about the pins. In Ranger rebuild articles, they press out and press in new pins.

Check out this thread http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=879639#post879639.

$20 for the bushings and the Lever Boot, is a GREAT deal since people have been paying $30 just for the Lever Boot. Of course, it needs to be modified to work. http://www.frontiernet.net/~miketoni... Rebuild.htm

Shifter location is the issue with using other transmissions. I have been watching this link on T56 http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75969&highlight=T56
Hope someone gets done soon so it becomes known what it takes to complete this swap.
-Dave

Bob,
I believe you are right about the pins. In Ranger rebuild articles, they press out and press in new pins.

Check out this thread http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=879639#post879639.

$20 for the bushings and the Lever Boot, is a GREAT deal since people have been paying $30 just for the Lever Boot. Of course, it needs to be modified to work. http://www.frontiernet.net/~miketoni... Rebuild.htm

Shifter location is the issue with using other transmissions. I have been watching this link on T56 http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75969&highlight=T56
Hope someone gets done soon so it becomes known what it takes to complete this swap.
-Dave

I wish I could read some of these threads but I do not have permission yet!!! UGHH another sore spot. Paid my dues in January but SCCOA has still not entered my membership. Those of us in this position have started another thread in the SCCOA discussion forums.

Shifter Rebuild Exploded view, Parts, procedure

I wish I could read some of these threads but I do not have permission yet!!! UGHH another sore spot. Paid my dues in January but SCCOA has still not entered my membership. Those of us in this position have started another thread in the SCCOA discussion forums.
Bob,
I looked for and didn't see your new thread. I made a PDF of the two articles I was talking about. Top part is ricardoa1 updated exploded view and current p/n's. Bottom part is the article, by txsc, on how to modify the truck Lever Boot.

BTW I ordered the partswomen kit yesterday just for the Lever Boot, they raised the price $1!!! I am getting the rest of the parts sent to me today, to complete the list of parts required. At the bottom of the PDF, you can see the 2 lever boots side by side. The truck one, the boot is a lot smaller in OD than the SC one. I hope there is enough room for the shifter travel path.

Hope you can open the PDF. If there is any problems, PM me your email and I will email the document(s) to you.
-Dave

Attachments

• SC M5R2 RKE Shifter R_R.pdf
    223.9 KB · Views: 184
Bob,
I looked for and didn't see your new thread. I made a PDF of the two articles I was talking about. Top part is ricardoa1 updated exploded view and current p/n's. Bottom part is the article, by txsc, on how to modify the truck Lever Boot.

BTW I ordered the partswomen kit yesterday just for the Lever Boot, they raised the price $1!!! I am getting the rest of the parts sent to me today, to complete the list of parts required. At the bottom of the PDF, you can see the 2 lever boots side by side. The truck one, the boot is a lot smaller in OD than the SC one. I hope there is enough room for the shifter travel path.

Hope you can open the PDF. If there is any problems, PM me your email and I will email the document(s) to you.
-Dave

Got it to open and also became OFFICIAL yesterday!! HOORAH. 3 months after dues were paid. Let me know when you have all of the parts and from whom...
Bob
Bob

Shifter rebuild M5R2

Getting the housing off the tailshaft was an issue. I decided rebuild the shifter in the car. I used a pair of vise grips to press the back pin out, had a spacer on the outside of the housing. This turned out to be the lever I needed to break the seal of the housing to the tailshaft. I continued the rebuild on the bench. One of the old shims was hanging on the internal shifting assembly.

I placed an E8TZ-7E018-A, shim, between the 1L2Z-7228-AA bushing and the 1L2Z-7Z120-AA washer, on the bottom.
Then the shift rod
I used 2 shims on the top side to take up a little bit of the movement.
The wavy washers actually were taking up the current slack in the assembly.
I smoothed down the surface of the "reusable" gasket. It was pretty beat up from all the slop in the shifter assembly, I am guessing for some time.

I am waiting on the Lever Boot, that needs modifying, from Allstate Gear aka partswomen on eBay.
They showed it was shipped 4/27, yet the Post Office didn't get it until 04/30.

Test drove the car and the shifter felt great. I still think I have the clutch dragging and the blockers in the transmission have seen there day.
-Dave

Getting the housing off the tailshaft was an issue. I decided rebuild the shifter in the car. I used a pair of vise grips to press the back pin out, had a spacer on the outside of the housing. This turned out to be the lever I needed to break the seal of the housing to the tailshaft. I continued the rebuild on the bench. One of the old shims was hanging on the internal shifting assembly.

I placed an E8TZ-7E018-A, shim, between the 1L2Z-7228-AA bushing and the 1L2Z-7Z120-AA washer, on the bottom.
Then the shift rod
I used 2 shims on the top side to take up a little bit of the movement.
The wavy washers actually were taking up the current slack in the assembly.
I smoothed down the surface of the "reusable" gasket. It was pretty beat up from all the slop in the shifter assembly, I am guessing for some time.

I am waiting on the Lever Boot, that needs modifying, from Allstate Gear aka partswomen on eBay.
They showed it was shipped 4/27, yet the Post Office didn't get it until 04/30.

Test drove the car and the shifter felt great. I still think I have the clutch dragging and the blockers in the transmission have seen there day.
-Dave

So you were the Guinea pig! Sounds like you have figured out the dilemma in rebuilding these shifters?

So you were the Guinea pig! Sounds like you have figured out the dilemma in rebuilding these shifters?

Bob,
I did the same thing as shown in ricardoa1's post that was referenced. In one of the articles, it suggested cutting the bottom bushing and sliding under the pins. The pins are very easily pressed out. No point in cutting the bushing. The bushing is a tight fit into the bore and forcing a cut bushing under the pin could/will damage the bushing IMO. Pressing the pins out and replacing them would seem to be easier and a superior solution.

My pins showed a little wear on them and I just turned them 90* to have a new surface.

USPS tracking says my Lever Boot got to PDX about 1AM yesterday. Since I am just across the river, I might see the new lever boot today.
-Dave

Lever Boot Modified

Got time today to finish up the rebuild with the Lever Boot for the truck transmission. The OD is the same. The boot OD, the new part is smaller. ID of the gasket that seals to the housing on the new part is smaller,39mm vs 42mm. I made a jig and used the old part as a template to drill new holes in the new part correct bolt circle diameter. All is complete.

I was concerned about the Lever Boot being too small. When assembled, I found no interference when shifting thru all the gears.

Now, last Tuesday, I believe I discovered I have the opportunity to replace the head gaskets. Thought I had a leaky water pump. When the engine was cold, I opened up the radiator and watched water pop out at me like hot grease. Lost over 1/2 gallon on a 24 mile trip. Hope to keep this repair less than 1/2 of what I paid for the car! These repairs can get so out of hand.
-Dave

Attachments

• IMG_7668.JPG
    IMG_7668.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_7665.JPG
    IMG_7665.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_7666.JPG
    IMG_7666.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 113
Kit

Can u still get the shifter bushings for M5R2
Yes. Check out eBay auction 200522411915 from partswoman.
This kit contains the bushings, shims, boot(which needs to be modified) and 2 screws. If you read the thread, you have the part numbers and there is a PDF with the exploded view. The large flat washer has to be reused and is usually damaged if the shifter has a lot of slop.

If you read the thread, all the information is in it that I just listed here less the current eBay auction number. Just do a search on eBay Motors for M5R2 and the kit(s) will come up.
-Dave

Yes. Check out eBay auction 200522411915 from partswoman.
This kit contains the bushings, shims, boot(which needs to be modified) and 2 screws.
Same kit/seller that I used. Works great! I did have to drill/enlarge some new holes in the new cover, but it wasn't difficult and the feel of the shifter is tight now.

New Holes in Cover/Boot

Yes, the new cover has the holes in a smaller bolt circle. Elongate them to the large bolt circle surely will work. I put the old and new covers together and used the old cover as the template to drill new holes in a drill press.

What a world of difference after the rebuild.
Good Luck!
-Dave

I know it's two years latter, but I would also like a set. Do you also have, or have info on getting the rubber seal at the top of the shifter?

Ron

Back