Stainless Steel Brake Line Kit Install...

DrFishbone

SCCoA Member
Anyone that has installed the stainless steel brake line kit (particularly on 89-92 cars), I've got a question for you...

At the driver's rear wheel well, the block that is attached to the factory flexible hose has two threaded ports: one from the ABS assembly and one that goes over to the passenger wheel well. What did you do to replace that block - or essentially "tee"? Whatever details (PN's or thread sizes) you have would be appreciated too. Also, if you had the 89-92 kit, were all four car-side connections the same?

Seem like I may need to buy and tee and/or adapter in addition to what I received in the kit.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Are you talking about the stainless braided lines that go out to the calipers?

Yes - more correctly - the stainless braided hoses.

I spoke with the vendor and it seems like the manufacturer may have mis-labeled the package.....

If anyone can confirm or deny that they had to purchase additional fittings beyond what was included in the Stopflex kits, that would help though. If I need to order anything else, I can get it in time to install before the Shootout! :D

I got my braided stopflex kit from Victor and installed them on my '90 Anny, along w/fresh calipers, and don't remember having to go shopping for anything except brake fluid & extra crush washers just in case...make sure they are the right size, both id and od. The fitting block on the caliper side needs to sit in a specific direction as I recall. On the front, that might make it hard to get to the caliper bolts - be sure to steer full left/right (engine running) so you can confirm those lines drape and extend correctly. Don't reuse crush washers ;)
IMG_0085.jpg

Ken

Matt,
I just ran across this with the kit from Spinning Wheels. They told me to call classic tube.
I am emailing Tim from Classic a pic of the rear line.
It appears that this is on the cars with abs. Mine is a '91. The kit I received has 1 line with a male fitting on it that would seemingly go into the "distribution block" or "T".
Both vendors made it seem like this is the first they ever came across it.

I'm hoping to have some kind of resolution today or tomorrow..

Ugg!

Just spoke to Tim at Classic tube.
I have to send my original hose back to them with the new one and they will make something that will work.
He said it should only take a week or so....

Maybe....

Matt,
I just ran across this with the kit from Spinning Wheels. They told me to call classic tube.
I am emailing Tim from Classic a pic of the rear line.
It appears that this is on the cars with abs. Mine is a '91. The kit I received has 1 line with a male fitting on it that would seemingly go into the "distribution block" or "T".
Both vendors made it seem like this is the first they ever came across it.

I'm hoping to have some kind of resolution today or tomorrow..

Tim - sounds like we have the exact same problem. :eek:

IMG_3718_edit.jpg

Diane said there should be a two-port block on one of the the lines. That would make everything right, in my mind.

Since the brake hose (drawn in) has this two-port connection on the driver's rear, rather than a single port like the other three wheels, you need something to take it's place when you remove the old hose. You need more parts than the kit has as pictured above.

acces%20hole%20DS_EDIT.jpg

Last edited:
I should be getting the replacement kit in the mail today. I'll post up what I get for future reference.

I had another manufacturing problem with this same kit (you can see it in the picture on far left)...one of the fittings was drilled/tapped crooked. It may have not ever sealed up when tightened down. :eek:

I have purchased a few sets of the braided lines from Victor in the past and never had a problem.

I purchased a set a few weeks ago and had the same issue with the 3-way block. I was told I had the last set. We ended up having to purchase a 3-way tee. We asked for instructions (see below). Other than that the installation went well.

----Forwarded Message-----
>From: Mike McGraw <mikemcgraw64@yahoo.com>
>Sent: Sep 9, 2016 1:23 AM
>To: Spinning Wheels-SC <spinningwheels-sc@earthlink.net>
>Subject: Brake lines
>
>Hello,
>I have installed a set of these brake lines
>on my 1990 super coupe. These brake line
>work very well. When I installed my set
>of brake lines, I put all the mounting brackets
>the brake lines from the kit. You can do this
>two ways, I removed all of my old brake line
>brackets from the hoses. You have to grind the back side of the crimp that holds the brake brackets and just pry them off with a screw driver. I then mounted the brackets on the car install the hose so you can see where to put the bracket so you have even slack when you steer the font wheel right and left.
>Holing the new bracket up to the old bracket. Mark the new bracket to the old.
>Remove old and new bracket, lay the new bracket on the old one and weld them together. The other way would be to just mount the new bracket to the cars frame so that the brake lines have enough play and slack for proper movement.
>If you have any questions with the installation of these brake lines please contact me at mikemcgraw64@yahoo.com
>or (720) 585-1784
>Thank you!
>Mike McGraw

Attachments

• IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Hey Matt,

What was the end result?
Did you end up getting your stuff swapped out?

Tim

I got the missing tee, and finished the back brake lines this weekend. The tee looked just like the one I had sourced as a back-up....off Jeg's or Summit, etc.

IMG_3746.jpg

I ended up bending the bracket to mount closer to a factory configuration. This allowed be to get away with minimal line bending! :D

Matt,

Just installed a set of these hoses a couple weeks ago at SCU inc. We had to bend the tab on the supplied fitting block 90 degrees before it would work on my 91 SC.

Attachments

• stainless brake hose DS rear.jpg
    stainless brake hose DS rear.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 117
Back