Shootout

Why call it the SC shootout if all are welcome? :D Its kind alike..Ya yall can come..But we arent really catering to you..But you can come...If you reallly want to.

The mn12 nationals would still be going on if the persons responsable for it wanted to keep it going on. Thats the bottom line. Same would go for this shootout. Face it you guys started this event because the other was gone. Perfect oportunity

It just seems what people are voicing is more then just including other then SC vehicles but making the other vehicles just as much a part of the event. Thus making it less then an "SC Shootout" and more like an MN12 Nationals where all is welcome and catered to equally.

I'm not saying one is better then the other. Two different concepts. Ones inclusive ones exclusive. Regardless of saying all is welcome.

Either way the chances of me going to either is equal and dependant on personal reasons and distance.:eek: SO no matter what you do it isnt going to get my butt there any faster.

Damon,

The MN12's were still held in 2003, the same year we started planning the first SC Shootout. The SC Shootout was in motion before MN12 Nat's officially ended. To say that the SC Shootout simply picked up slack from the MN12 Nats shows just how little you know about the SC Shootout. It is true that many people who would have attended the Nats came to the Shootout instead, but I think you are missing out on the "WHY" in this case.

I attended the MN12 Nats in 2001 and 2002. I, along with a good number of other people, found that the Nats were disappointing because there was no real organized racing venue. Since racing takes a significant investment on both the part of the event and the participants, to us it made sense that the event focus on and center around racing. History tells the story as to which approach is more effective and is more attractive to participants.

Could the SC Shootout be blended in with an MN12 Nats program? Sure it could. Could Ford, Chrysler, GM, and Toyota all be blended into one super car company? Sure they could. Don't think anyone would really like that too much though. We have our identity and we are proud of it. If anyone wants to start another event and call it something else, by all means go ahead.

The SC Shootout is what it is because that's what we like. MN12 Nationals no more caters to FN10's than the SC Shootout. We've had the discussion about changing names several times, and it's always the same people wanting to change the name. Sorry, but there are no plans to change the name. As you said, there is nothing we can do to convince you to attend and I feel the same applies to most people. They will attend if they feel so inclined and bending over backwards in our attempts to accommodate them isn't going to change anything. We have no intentions of watering down our event.

If the name were so important, then I think that our "car show only" registration numbers would show that non-racers don't attend the SC Shootout. However, history has shown that the name has not prevented the people who want to car show only from driving significant distances to attend.

Thanks for the input guys, but we've already pretty much covered these topics. If anyone wants to help out, on the other hand, we are all ears. :D

...Sorry, but there are no plans to change the name.

It has a nice ring to it anyway. :D

Like I was saying...I think all the clubs should have their own "shootout" and welcome participants from all clubs, like this past shootout was conducted. It would give us more big events to attend. :D

Duane, if you'd like to be more involved with the Shootout, we are looking for new committee members who can contribute materially to the event. For example we are looking for someone to take over the promotion and administration of the car show portion of the event. If you are interested, you clearly have the credentials......

David

It's not that I want to be more involved but give more people that opportunity. Hence, the term limit on committee members so that different perspectives can be viewed. A voice for the V8 community....etc.

As far as the car show, yes, I'll help out. I really didn't see anything wrong with the way it was handled this year but maybe I missed something. I do feel the location would have been better at the back of the hotel or somewhere on Walmart's parking lot, but other than that, I really didn't see any problems. With that said, you can count me in on what you need done.

If this helps - for the 01 MN12 meet I stole the idea of a central meeting place from looking at other car club sites. What are others currently doing for their "shootouts"?

It has a nice ring to it anyway. :D

Like I was saying...I think all the clubs should have their own "shootout" and welcome participants from all clubs, like this past shootout was conducted. It would give us more big events to attend. :D

In theory that's a great idea. In reality you'll have events with 25 cars.

As far as the name in years past it worked with the format, now, not so much but it's got some history behind it so there really is no need to change it. What needs to change is the participants view of it. It's no longer just a sc thing. I tried to get the people on tccoa onboard, I posted on one of the largest racing boards there is.

It would also help if it was announced before the racing was concluded that there was a cash prize for a v8 car.

Any thoughts on moving it up to mid sept so it's not as cold?

I have to agree on moving the time. A few weeks could make a difference. We want cool weather but the cold weather is too much. If we put it off another month we'll have to have an ambulance on hand to get some of these guys tongues off the flagpole.
As far as the rest of it goes, somebody will always be complaing that they want to do it differently. The way I see it is that it is working so why mess with it. I for one am happy with the way it is handled.
Another successful event. I'd love to see everyone show up ready to compete in one way or another, but most people just make excuses.
I am sad that none of my cars made it this year. The entire bracket class that I am used to seeing was not present. I have the winter to make that happen and get some practice in for next year.
Alan

In theory that's a great idea. In reality you'll have events with 25 cars.

As far as the name in years past it worked with the format, now, not so much but it's got some history behind it so there really is no need to change it. What needs to change is the participants view of it. It's no longer just a sc thing. I tried to get the people on tccoa onboard, I posted on one of the largest racing boards there is.

It would also help if it was announced before the racing was concluded that there was a cash prize for a v8 car.

Any thoughts on moving it up to mid sept so it's not as cold?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keith,

Whats the problem having 25-30 cars at an event? We have that every year at the JBMN's. Sometimes more. That includes SC's, V8's, Lincolns and even the fox Cats/Birds. But where is the massive participation? How many on this forum or on any of the others show? How many times have YOU ever traveled here to run or any of the OTHERS from out in the midwest? I can tell you, none. Our group (MAMN12) gets together and races usually several times a year. Quite a few of us get together in the fall for Private track rentals with the NVMC Mustang boys, SSOTN Mustang boys at Cecil, the MIR All Ford Event as well as the Mason Dixon All Ford event. Our event at the JBMN is bracket racing, in a class one day, not a private track rental, though I am looking into possibly changing that next season.

Whats with the TCCOA? Are there no one that lives in the area where these events take place? Of course there are. Do they participate no. Are they invited yes. So whats the problem? Answer - they could care less. They just want to complain cause there is never anything around them to do. IF they wanted to the majority of them could be there. The same goes for the SC guys that are within a couple hours of our event. Just the way it is. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think Dave and the rest have done an excellent job promoting the event and inviting the V-8 cars. Yeah, its the SC shootout, so what. I never saw anything that says V8's aren't allowed, nor stock non SC V6's. The bottom line is its all in what one chooses to do and participate in. The problem is most want to bitch about something and choose to do nothing. If the V8 cars are inclusive in that, so be it.

As far as the payout for the NA V8 cars, that was not Dave's fault. That was mine. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to do that until the last minute. I did it last year too. Blown38 actually met with me on his travel out and picked up the prize money to be presented as well as the "Golden Piston Award". Dave didn't even know it was coming until it was there. I hope that clears that up.

Personally, far as the weather, I'd rather see it 2 weeks later LOL. Likely everyone would get a chance to run in very cool conditions. But thats me. I know and like cool air. So does the car.

You can lead a horse to water but that doesn't mean it will drink. The same goes for these events for the MN12's/FN10's. Whichever organization is holding it.

:)

No problem on the prize thing

The problem with low car count is if you want the event to grow you can't.

As for tccoa I agree with you on eveything you said.

2 weeks later are u nuts?? It's 45* there.

Date, kinda depends on luck, to be sure it would have to be in early sept. Last 2 years were last week of sept or early oct, I cant remember. I do remember it being hot tho. 07 shootout was cookin.

There are many challenges that are presented in securing a race track for the type of event we run. To name a few:

• Price. We can't really afford $5000 and up for a race track.
  • Quality. We all like to have good pit facilities, a good launch pad, an absence of craters in the raceway, etc. A low price facility isn't a bargain if the place is a dump.
  • Location. SC ownership is not evenly distributed across the country. Putting the venue in the middle of the country simply means that it will be equally inconvenient for everyone.
  • Date. The good tracks are pretty much all booked up on weekends during the summer season. It is a matter of convenience for us that we like cool weather and the normal racing season ends in September most places.
  • Exclusivity. There aren't many club events that gain exclusive use of a well prepared track on a weekend day. We could share a track but we'd be limited to 2-3 classes instead of the 8 we now enjoy. We'd also lose the ability to dictate exactly how our classes are handled and we'd be subject to oil-downs, wrecks, and other typical delays that are part of normal drag racing events.
What it boils down to is that other than some tweaks to our system (we'll be taking suggestions posted above seriously) we've already covered all the major hurdles and come up with a best solution for the type of meet we want to present. While lots of ideas are appreciated and helpful, the Shootout has been and remains a focused event with a mission and purpose (read the main page at www.sc-shootout.com for a refresher on that) and to that end we have remained true in purpose and form. Any changes we do make will continue to reflect that goal and mission.

• Location. SC ownership is not evenly distributed across the country. Putting the venue in the middle of the country simply means that it will be equally inconvenient for everyone.

I'm not trying to argue but I don't believe that statement holds true anymore. Now that all Thunderbirds/V8 cars are included, that's why I made this reference I made below.

• Make the event more centrally located<br><br>
    • Our highest Thunderbird turnout was at the 01 National event which was held in Oklahoma. Now that all Thunderbirds are included, maybe it’s time to move the event to better represent the population.

The point I'm trying to make is, the greater population may be in the south if the TCCoA community started to get serious and really wanted to come. I just picked the south but it could be any where. That's also why I mentioned having a TCCoA representative on the Shootout committee.

Last edited:
The view from a non-racer. I am always amazed at the Shootout. I have been to the last 3. I literally plan a vacation around it. The travel is the only drawback for me but I adjust to make it and still be able to enjoy my time at the Shootout. Seeing people that I met and dealt with here on the SCCOA and other sites is another plus. Seeing the work that others have put into their cars. I think the group that puts this all together does a great job. There are always little things that might not work as planned but it still comes together due to their hard work and time. Thanks for taking the time to consider the views of those post up here.

I come to see some great people, some great cars in the show and the in the go and have fun.
I'll be back next year.

Exclusivity. There aren't many club events that gain exclusive use of a well prepared track on a weekend day. We could share a track but we'd be limited to 2-3 classes instead of the 8 we now enjoy. We'd also lose the ability to dictate exactly how our classes are handled and we'd be subject to oil-downs, wrecks, and other typical delays that are part of normal drag racing events.
To me this is the most attractive aspect of the Shootout. Priceless.

While lots of ideas are appreciated and helpful, the Shootout has been and remains a focused event with a mission and purpose (read the main page at www.sc-shootout.com for a refresher on that) and to that end we have remained true in purpose and form. Any changes we do make will continue to reflect that goal and mission.
The type of heads up racing by class described here was new to me, and although I ran in the bracket class which was familiar to me, I surprisingly enjoyed that type of racing.

Stay the course Dave, it was a great event and I only make one day.

Well, here we go again. Same argument, different day. Being an owner of both an LX and an S/C. I can tell you, that for many years I owned only an LX and was accepted by the SCCoO as a member. I took a lot of crap about it, but what the hell, its all in good fun. I attended my first two SHOOTOUTS with the LX, and felt nothing but welcome. I had that car tuned by Dave D, ran slow as hell, but still managed to have a great time at each event. In 2008, I was fortunate enuff to purchase a S/C and attend with that car. Pretty bone stock, a driver who is useless on the track, an issue with the tranny of my own doing, but still managed to have a great time.
I have been at Carlisle a few times, had a great time there as well, and hope to attend again in 2010. Now that show has a definite division between the cars. The LX's and the S/C didnt seem to mingle a great deal, but thats just the nature of the beast.
I have nothing but praise for the committee in the job they have done organizing the SHOOTOUT. I missed this year due to other commitments, and it felt like hell doing so. Last year, I heard from many LX people that they would be attending, and the same people showed up. Thats OK as well. Having a core of people there means there will always be old BS stories to go over again.
Just let the event take its course. Money is tight everywhere, people cant always afford to travel. The issue of breakage is always important in non trailered cars. But lets not lose sight of what its all about. Its a "bring it on, I will whoop your ~~~" kind of event. The car show is a great meet and greet. but secondary to the racing.
Location means little to me. Its a long drive no matter where they put it. Just as long as I have a chance to go!!!!!!

Just my 2 cents.

Matt

i will throw something out there.

A few years ago we did a deal around here, it was the midwest bash for those that remembered. I hooked up what I thought was a great deal at the track & the dyno. I can do this again. Heck we even got the local hotel and cops to get involved so we would not have issues. That whole event went off without a hitch. We even went back to my place for a cook out and when the rain came that night I opened up one of my buildings and the party kept on till the last person left.
This is a trail idea and if someone wants to have me go forward let me know. Prices were good,location was I think good and we still got like 20 people to show up even thou someone had to go get married that same weekend and pull all the St. Louis guys out of the mix...
Let me know and lets see what we can do to make this happen.....Rich

In case you all have forgotten here is a list of Threads from 2003 on how the Shootout actually got started.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23542

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23841

The first one is fairly long and is really where the meat of the topic began. I will completely agree that the current Shootout Committee has done a fantastic job of truely making the event what it has become. I also think that with anything the event needs to mature and grow. Just remember the EVENT was started as a RACING/DYNO event. It was started as such because several of us wanted to make it an ALL OUT racing event to PROVE that your car is the fastest on the same given day at the same track than someone elses. It was and is the event to claim I'm the FASTEST so sit down and shutup.

I'd be more than happy to be a part of committee again now that my personal life isn't in the way. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Chris

I’m not saying the committee is doing a bad job at all. What I’m trying to point out is that the committee needs to look forward and consider that the population just changed since any FN10/MN12 is able to race in any class now. Does that mean the event has to move? No. Does it mean that the event might be better served at a different location since the population just changed? Maybe. Don’t know until the committee polls the population. Yes, that means the whole SC/LX/V6/V8 population. Should they? Probably since the decision was made to include any FN10/MN12 in any class.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the event, the racing, the car show, the trophies, Brian cooking steak and shrimp (why cater anymore when Brian’s around) but I think the committee has a lot more decisions that need to be made now than in the past.

So, when can I be a Shootout committee member. :)

In case you all have forgotten here is a list of Threads from 2003 on how the Shootout actually got started.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23542

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23841

The first one is fairly long and is really where the meat of the topic began. I will completely agree that the current Shootout Committee has done a fantastic job of truely making the event what it has become. I also think that with anything the event needs to mature and grow. Just remember the EVENT was started as a RACING/DYNO event. It was started as such because several of us wanted to make it an ALL OUT racing event to PROVE that your car is the fastest on the same given day at the same track than someone elses. It was and is the event to claim I'm the FASTEST so sit down and shutup.

I'd be more than happy to be a part of committee again now that my personal life isn't in the way. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Chris

Interesting....same thing 6 years later....except Jimmy D. isn't posting.

oh, cold, sooooo cold

Interesting....same thing 6 years later....except Jimmy D. isn't posting.

I say to all, instead of being part of the problem, why not try to be part of the solution. GET INVOLED with the committee and lend a hand... That goes for all of us.. Dave D. and the boys are doing a great job, now lets all lend a hand to help, not cry....Rich

Back