front license plate bracket

1bad67cat

due to circumstances beyond my control, we have to move back to iowa.:( Unfortunately, there you need a front license plate, and I don't want to drill any holes in my bumper. :mad: Any ideas?

What I did was I bend the license plate about two inches down to a 90* angle and I put 2 holes under the bumper with 2 flat head bolts and nylon lock wing nuts going up into the bottom of the bumper.

What I did was I bend the license plate about two inches down to a 90* angle

YMMV, but here in VA, that would get you a ticket in a heartbeat. Any modification to a plate will cause you to be on the wrong side of the law. Even seen people that put a "Heart" sticker between their initials on their custom plates get harassed... My dad got pulled over a month or so back and was issued a ticket because of the Dealer Lic. Plate frame they put on there when he bought the car. It covered part of the VIRGINIA across the top.....
One of my birds already had a couple of holes drilled into the underside of the bumper. I got a piece of Angle Aluminum, drilled two holes to match the bumper, two to match the plate and put it on there. Didn't want to cover up the "SC" embossed in the bumper there.

YMMV, but here in VA, that would get you a ticket in a heartbeat. Any modification to a plate will cause you to be on the wrong side of the law. Even seen people that put a "Heart" sticker between their initials on their custom plates get harassed... My dad got pulled over a month or so back and was issued a ticket because of the Dealer Lic. Plate frame they put on there when he bought the car. It covered part of the VIRGINIA across the top.....
One of my birds already had a couple of holes drilled into the underside of the bumper. I got a piece of Angle Aluminum, drilled two holes to match the bumper, two to match the plate and put it on there. Didn't want to cover up the "SC" embossed in the bumper there.

Wow... now that is friggin anal! I would hate to have cops like that here, since most of the winter, part or all of the license plate is covered up with snow build up on bumpers.

due to circumstances beyond my control, we have to move back to iowa.:( Unfortunately, there you need a front license plate, and I don't want to drill any holes in my bumper. :mad: Any ideas?

I've thought about this in the past, too. Texas requires a front plate, but I'll be dammmmmed if I'm going to drill my pristine "SC" bumper cover. And, I hardly ever drive the car so I'm not at great risk. Plus, the cops here in San Antonio don't seem to bother with looking at that. Probably because it's such a big military city, and there are cars from all over the county here; some with required front tags, some without.

Anyway, I'd planned on getting some elastic strapping, and attaching small hooks to each end after threading it through the top and bottom mounting holes on each side of the plate. Probably have to put a soft bow in the plate to make it lay flat against the bumper cover contour. Then I was going to attach some heavy felt cloth to the back of the plate (like front end covers are lined with) to prevent marring the paint. With the elastic and hooks, it could easily be removed for cleaning, and reattached. The down-side is, it would be easy to steal if someone noticed it was just "bungee'd" to the car. I never did it, but that was the general plan.

JD

Back