Cobra brake 11.65" rotor upgrade kit.

Dave could these be used with the sport rotors or the GenIII SHO rotors both 11.6" IIRC.

If the response to this question is yes I'll paypal you tomorrow.

TIA Dave

Last edited:
I don't have any info on that. Are you talking about using front rotors on the rear? If so, are the SHO and Sport rotors the same offset?

Will these kist allow the use of 15 inch wheels on the rear?

Unlikely. It'll depend upon the wheel width and the offset, but you'll probably need at least 16's. In addition to caliper clearance, you have to watch for interference from the parking brake cable on the inside of the rim.

I don't have any info on that. Are you talking about using front rotors on the rear? If so, are the SHO and Sport rotors the same offset?

I'm sorry to keep pinging you Dave, I just checked on Rockauto auto and the sport rotor is the same as the SHO 96+ front rotor. I run these rotors on the front of my 95 with the FN72 caliper bracket, then there is a bracket mount block like what your selling to accomodate the 11.6" rotors on the back of the SHO and using the wide throat 92 vented rotor caliper.

My ultimite goal is PBR calipers in front on 11.6 rotors and 11.6 rotors on the back of both SHO's and SC's. Looks like I'm there!

Given the Sport rotor and the SHO 96+ front rotor is the same part I wound't have to change bolt pattern and can use the same wheels on birds and Taurii. My last question is what caliper would I be using on the back of the bird with your bracket all being applied on a 11.6 Thunderbird/Taurus lug patterned rotor?

Last edited:
For those who have installed these, how do you get the nub on the end of the parking brake cable to clear the top rear relocation bracket bolt?

The parking brake cable end piece (nub) hits the top rear relocation bolt, and doesn't allow you to bolt on the caliper with the parking brake cable in place. I tried filing down the nub on the end of the parking brake cable, and got it to fit, but the first time I pulled the parking brake lever, the end broke off (lesson learned, don't file the nub).

I think the kit may need one bolt with a shorter head on it (like a standard hex head bolt instead of the nice allen head bolts). Thoughts? Anyone else have issues?

Jeramie

I have always installed the cable after bolting the caliper to the bracket and knuckle.

I have always installed the cable after bolting the caliper to the bracket and knuckle.

I tried it both ways.. It just won't fit.. This is on a '94.. I wonder if the ends of the parking brake cable are different between late an early model maybe? It needs about another 3/16-1/4" clearance. I'm thinking of replacing one of the nice allen head bolts with something with a shorter head on it, after I replace the parking brake cable of course..

Jeramie

I tried it both ways.. It just won't fit.. This is on a '94.. I wonder if the ends of the parking brake cable are different between late an early model maybe? It needs about another 3/16-1/4" clearance. I'm thinking of replacing one of the nice allen head bolts with something with a shorter head on it, after I replace the parking brake cable of course..

Jeramie

I have a '95, and I've been doing it for over 10 years with my original relocation brackets, using socket head bolts. I haven't tried it using David's bracket yet, but the bolt is in the same location, so I don't see why that would make a difference.

This bracket does add thickness which is why the longer bolts are required compared to this ones made from 3/16" steel. I have installed a couple sets and don't recall any problems but I don't have any in hand right now to check. It may be necessary to grind a bit off the bolt head though or something. I'll check it on the next set I get in. There are some small slight differences between early and late model calipers though. I've always used the late model calipers.

I picked up the latest batch from the machinist this morning and will be taking them to the annodizer's on Tuesday. I should have them in stock ready for shipping by the end of next week.

Dave I used the steel brackets from Ed and had to grind material awt from my mark 8 spindles to make them fit do these have that issue? Also I need some hub centric rings if you have some let me know how much shipped to 62948

I used early model calipers with DD brackets with no grinding of the bolts in any way

Was this with the Socket head stainless bolts? One of the bolts absolutely has to be either ground down or replaced with a thinner head hex bolt on a '94 SC for clearance to the parking brake cable. You don't have to grind much, maybe 1/8" or so..

Jeramie

Was this with the Socket head stainless bolts? One of the bolts absolutely has to be either ground down or replaced with a thinner head hex bolt on a '94 SC for clearance to the parking brake cable. You don't have to grind much, maybe 1/8" or so..

Jeramie

My bolts look just like the black ones pictured in the first post of this thread. This is early calipers on a early car.

David,

Has your email changed? I sent you an email and did not hear back. I know you don't usually have much to do;)

If it has, let me know. I am hoping to get that cam reordered and two sets of these shnazzy brackets. What color is the anodizing?

Back