Need help! Is something wrong with the front suspension of my SC ? Camber question.

phils89sc

Hello everyone. I noticed today that if I back into a park spot, then turn the car off and go around to the front of the car, looking at it dead on, you can tell that the tops of the tires are pointing inwards (negative camber). If I get back in the car, pull back out of the spot and drive forward a car length or so, then get back out, go look at the angle of the wheels, they are back to normal. (as far as how it looks). Camber looks ok.

I just had new tires put on (235-55-16 Kumho's). I don't have any pulling or any strange steering function or strange noises from the suspension. I do know I need to replace my junk engine mounts, and already have new solid rubber ones ready to go in. All of the suspension looks ok (tie rods, control arms, etc.). She rides smooth going down the road, and the factory struts still are in good shape.

Any idea if this is a problem or if this is normal for the MN12 tbird? I actually first noticed it when I was towing the car home after purchasing it (towing by the back wheels). The nose was pointed down and the camber had gone very negative while I watched it being towed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone.

I'd say it's not normal. When you say things look good, does that mean you eyeballed them, or the car was checked on a jack/lift to see if anything moved when it shouldn't?

Car ever been wrecked?

>factory struts still are in good shape.
The front shocks are not struts. Can you bounce each front corner? When you stop bouncing, how many bounces do you count before it stops?

Has the car been lowered? Why were the front tires replaced? What was the wear pattern on them?

You might want to have an alignment shop check it over good, then if they think it can take an alignment, turn them loose...but only if they are 4-wheel qualified. Might help to find a shop that knows these cars.

Last edited:
Yes, all of this so far is just from and eye ball point of view. I probably do need to bring it to an alignment shop. It will be this weekend before I can get her on a jack and check things out.

I had to replace all of the tires because the old ones were dry-rotted and very bad.
As far as ever been in an accident, I don't think so. There is no visible damage to the chassis anywhere. I did not lower the car, but the front seems lower to me than my last SC (89). But it has been years. There was no abnormal tire wear either.

As far as a bounce test goes, I get just one rebound when the suspension is in normal mode. It handles great, drives straight.

Thank you

... and the factory struts still are in good shape.

No, they're not.

First, they're not MacPherson struts; they're technically a coil over shock.

Second, they're not in good shape after, what, at least 24 years (maybe 30)? They've gone bad.

But they won't affect the camber.

Strut rod bushings are the first most likely problem here; even if they look good, see note about being 24 to 30 years old. Rubber rots over time.

RwP

As far as a bounce test goes, I get just one rebound when the suspension is in normal mode.

Not bad for original ;) Surprised they still have any response left.

At the least, you can jack it up in the front and do a push/pull on each wheel 12/6 o'clock then 3/9 to see if any movement that would indicate issues. Work the steering wheel just a tiny bit to check for play...not too much w/the engine off, tho, or you might puke power steering fluid. Look for split balljoint rubber covers, rotten bushings etc. If you spot any grease fitting and you have a grease gun handy, this would be a good time to top them off.

If you don't see anything obvious, watch for wear on the inner edges of the tires, but if you're concerned, take it to a shop. Photos of obvious negative camber might be fun.

Good luck.

Regarding my shocks, I don’t think there is anything wrong with them. They pass the bounce test and they switch between firm and normal ride, the car handles great, so until she starts doing the Uncle Buck, I will leave them alone.

The strut rod bushing do look like they have seen better days though. I know those are factory. For just daily driving, are rubber replacements ok or should I get upgraded versions, like polyurethane or similar?

Thank you.

Back