Shootout

I’m not saying the committee is doing a bad job at all. What I’m trying to point out is that the committee needs to look forward and consider that the population just changed since any FN10/MN12 is able to race in any class now. Does that mean the event has to move? No. Does it mean that the event might be better served at a different location since the population just changed? Maybe. Don’t know until the committee polls the population. Yes, that means the whole SC/LX/V6/V8 population. Should they? Probably since the decision was made to include any FN10/MN12 in any class.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the event, the racing, the car show, the trophies, Brian cooking steak and shrimp (why cater anymore when Brian’s around) but I think the committee has a lot more decisions that need to be made now than in the past.

So, when can I be a Shootout committee member. :)

Duane,

The Shootout has been open to all MN12 and FN10s for years (especially the show portion). This year we decided to experiment with a new set of racing rules that would allow the v8 cars to race against the supercharged v6s in all classes instead of only a few classes. It also allowed the v6 guys to have their car modded however they wanted and still be able to race against cars of similar ET.

Proir to making these rules changes there were threads posted on TCCoA soliciting input from the people about the proposed rules changes. There were also several post made after the rules were made official and the change of location happened. Positive feedback from the TCCoA guys was pretty good, but I think we actually ended up with less V8 cars participating this year than we had last year.

I'm sure the bad economy has a lot to do with why we didn't see more of the v8 guys this year. But even when the economy recovers, I don't expect to see a huge surge in attendance just because of the rules changes we made. There is a core group that pretty much always attends, and then there are people who almost always attend, then there are a bunch who are hit or miss.

IMO, many of the TCCoA guys are just not into the meets like they once were. I think the age of these cars and the owner demographic also plays a big part (both for SCCoA and TCCoA). Many of the guys with the nicest cars have sold their cars and moved on to other newer models, or gotten away from modding their cars to start a family or buy a house or just got bored. Look what happened to the T-bird attendance at WFC or Carlisle over the past 6 years.

I think there are still enough people interested in these cars that we can continue to have a well attended Shootout for several years to come, but I don't really see this meet ever becoming even twice as large, no matter where or when it's held.

David

[*]Price. We can't really afford $5000 and up for a race track.

A weekend event held at Tri-State Raceway is $3000. Is this low enough to be considered for a shootout?

I'm sure a suitable hotel could be found in Manchester (11 miles) or Dubuque (36 miles). For reference Portland was 21 miles from Muncie Raceway.

This years location was a longgggggggg ride from my house and if it were to be any further I would not attend, just my 2 cents......;)

I had a lot of fun this year and plan on attending future events.

Moving the location--no matter where--will inherently prevent some people who attended this year from showing up while also encouraging other people who did not attend this year to show up. It took me a bit over 8 hours to get to this year's shootout from Chattanooga, TN, so naturally I'm not keen on moving the event any farther West. Now what I prefer isn't entirely important but consider this: the Club Clash in Iowa and Joel Bender Nats in MD provide alternatives for people who, thanks to geography, can't make it to the Shootout. In addition I feel that there exists a regular crew of Shootout attendants who feel, with justification, that this is "their" event. I've attended the last four Shootouts and I know lots of other people have been to more than that. I really think that this event belongs to the people who attend it (including the organizers, certainly) and that moving it out from under them wouldn't be right.

I really think that this event belongs to the people who attend it (including the organizers, certainly) and that moving it out from under them wouldn't be right.

I'm fine with traveling 8-10 hours to go to a shootout. But if money is becoming an issue maybe we should consider other locations.

That is why I suggested that XR7 Dave make another one of his nifty maps. It would show the location of each of the attendee's over the past few shootouts. Like this one:

attachment.php

Unless most people moved, it isn't going to change much. The location was already decided based on people's locations; Dayton! There may have been other factors that I'm not aware of.

There wasn't a shortage of car this year, it was still a good turn out. It seems that most of the attendees are from the Midwest area.

A weekend event held at Tri-State Raceway is $3000. Is this low enough to be considered for a shootout?

I'm sure a suitable hotel could be found in Manchester (11 miles) or Dubuque (36 miles). For reference Portland was 21 miles from Muncie Raceway.

Tri State is too far out in the middle of nowhere to be considered for a Shootout.

Well I cannot believe I read that whole thing but anyway.

Dave keep it up, dont change a thing.

What needs to be kept in mind is the fact that "The SC Shootout" is talked about on here, it is not an SCCoA sanctioned event. It is just a central location for it to be discussed. I challenge anyone to host their own event and get great results. I am not saying it cant be done, but Dave spends so much time and money to make sure the event only gets better. Now that Dave has so many events under his belt, he only continues to make the event better. It seems each year an obstacle is overcome each year, location, dinner, dinner location, track.......bla bla bla. If you dont like the location of the event, have one close to your home.

Be part of the solution, and back up your suggestions. I hope if your going to offer the suggestions and help you better come through.

See you guys in 2010.

Chris

Why don't some of the people who want to see the event moved start their own event? I'm not saying that to be a jackass--I think it would be great if, in addition to the Shootout, there was a "Spring Shootout South" or "Texas SC Nats" or whatever. I'd also love to see an SC gathering for a road course or auto-X event but I'm not going to try to turn the current Shootout into that event.

I can see that people don’t quite understand my initial post. My post was meant to inspire, discuss and generally think about the bullets I had posted for the committee. It doesn’t mean the committee needs to do anything different than they have been doing but it does open up the possibility to say; “You know what, I’ve never thought of that before”, “That does raise a question if ….”, “That’s a totally different angle”, “Nice idea but not practical”..blah..blah..blah.

If no one took different angles or views on things, where would we be?

try this for size...

A weekend event held at Tri-State Raceway is $3000.

When I put together the "Midwest Bash" track rental was FREE. YES, FREE.... Everyone just paid the normal price for racing and that was it. We got to use the short lane and whenever we had 4 or more cars in the line we got to go. There was no real waiting and everyone had a great time... Something to think about and yes it is a NHRA track with lots of room.....Rich

A weekend event held at Tri-State Raceway is $3000.

When I put together the "Midwest Bash" track rental was FREE. YES, FREE.... Everyone just paid the normal price for racing and that was it. We got to use the short lane and whenever we had 4 or more cars in the line we got to go. There was no real waiting and everyone had a great time... Something to think about and yes it is a NHRA track with lots of room.....Rich

as long as Marcell is not in the picture, ill consider going there, but highly unlikely after what he pulled this past weekend with the true street event

Rich, the club clash is held twice a year on the same day as Test and Tune the only cost is the entrance fee. When not racing as part of the club clash you can make as many passes as you like and you could easily get in as many passes as you would want to do. I've never seen test and tune "busy" there. I believe Tri-State also kicks in for the trophies, I'd have to ask Albee what they all do for that event.

For a 20 car field only and only one class of racing (bracket) this works great but for the number of classes a shootout uses I don't think it would work very well and that is why I inquired about track rental.

Back