Sc staring problems

Jam1989

Have an 89 thuderbird sc. After running awile i shut it off and it wont start back up. Let it sit for half hour and starts up. Any ideas on what is wrong with it.

We don't really know for sure what causes this, but it has been suggested that injector leak-down causes a flooding condition. Next time on start up, floor the pedal (it shuts off the injectors) and crank for about 5 seconds to clear the intake. Let off and.. see if it helps. If that does the trick, add some injector cleaner to the fuel for a while and see it that helps.

When you say won't start up - does that means it spins over and won't fire or won't spin over at all?

Has the multi-wire ignition switch, down on the rt. side of the steering column (not the lock cylinder) ever been replaced that you know of?

In my 90 I use to have to turn the key on, pull the fuel pump fuse, jump the solenoid, and put the fuse back in before it died. Replaced the DIS module and now starts no problems. 89 and 90 SC's run rich from the factory causing it to flood when the ignition cuts out and hiccups at restart.

Last edited:

Turns over fine just wont start. Have tried the putting it to the floor trick dont help. This car sat for two years. I just bought it and had to replaced intake gasket.

How much of the engine was taken apart? Anything on the engine painted during that process?

When i have it running. It runs just fine and the cheak engin light comes on and off dont know if that has any thing to do with the problem. Going to get code reader as soon as i can.

When i have it running. It runs just fine and the cheak engin light comes on and off dont know if that has any thing to do with the problem. Going to get code reader as soon as i can.
Aye.. engine light means there is a code set for something. Check that first. You can also pull codes with a paperclip, pencil and paper. Search on how-to.

Dont know much about the cars history other than it was overheating and the previous owner had the heads and every thing els tested. Thats why i put intake gasket in it and that took care of the overheating.

Back