New SCU 4.3 engine pics

That's always good to hear.

I think you should bring it to the May meet.

Casey,

It's not going to be ready to race that soon. Bringing the turbo car, mainly to redeem itself after it's poor showing at the Shootout.

David

Last edited:
Thats good to hear David. Can't wait to see that bad boy run! Got mine back up and running too... and like Casey, still in bad need of a tune.

My new engine is still on the stand next to the car, I'm jealous of your new toy

I'll be making test passes @ GIR by the end of the year......hope to see you there

My new engine is still on the stand next to the car, I'm jealous of your new toy

I'll be making test passes @ GIR by the end of the year......hope to see you there

Curtis,

If you have the new engine on the stand, why will it take until the end of the year to be making test passes ?

David

After replacing the cam sensor this morning the car starts and runs much better. Took it for a 12 mile drive to test some tunes, and other than getting some CELs and running a little warmer than usual, everythings seems to be fine.

Decided to see how much boost it's making with the larger motor and it's making a max of 17 pounds which is pretty close to what I was hoping for. At the same drive ratio I made 20 pounds with the old motor, so the 3.00" diameter pulley I've got should put it back to about 20 pounds. Currently using a 3.25" dia pulley.

It feels strong, just not quite as strong as my old motor did, but the timing is set a lot lower and I don't have any idea what the A/F ratio is it WOT. I'm sure it's going to be fine once we get it tuned and increase the boost a little. For now I'll just be driving it around to put some miles on the motor.

David

Last edited:
Thats great David, sounds like you just need to get her dialed in. I am sure it must be nice to have her on the road again!:D

Stephen

Curtis,

If you have the new engine on the stand, why will it take until the end of the year to be making test passes ?

David

I'm running the Camaro in street car that will take up most of my time, as far as the SC goes I still have to address all the suspension + install a cage. I liked the way my car hooked with the old motor but I don't feel I have enough when it comes to hitting the IRS with a brake

While messing with the car last night trying to remove air from the cooling system (wasn't any) and seeing if it started any better on another program, I found where my meth injection fluid has been going.

Somewhere along the line (probably when we installed LT headers), my washer fluid hose coming off the washer pump was disconnected from the windsheild washer nozzels. There was some plastic fitting in the end of the hose that ended just beneath the master cylinder that looked like a check valve. Looks like another hose was supposed to connect there to get fluid up the the nozzels that spray on the windsheild.

Anyhow..I had the front of the car jacked up (to help remove air pockets) and motor was running for about 15 minutes to get it up to temp and after I was all done and lowering the jack I heard a sizzeling sound and what sounded like water running. Shined the flashlight down where sound was coming from and saw washer fluid pouring onto one of the header primary tubes. I'm guessing this is the same thing that happened when I first started the new motor and not a stuck open anti-siphion solenoid as I first thought. Dumped about half a tank of fluid before it quit running out the hose.

I actually upgraded and relocated the anti-siphion solenoid last year because of fluid being lost from the washer tank. I never saw any fluid on the ground, so I guess it was drying up before I noticed it. Anyway that mystery is solved and I feel alot better knowing that the new motor didn't swallow all that fluid on the initial start up. Hose is now plugged and I'll disconnect the power wire to the washer pump.

Other than running a little hotter than normal, it seems to be running good on the tweaked mail order tune from Dave. Can't wait to see what it does with the timing put back in and boost increased to usual 20 pounds.

David

Last edited:
Glad the Snow controller doesn't appear to have been the problem:D

Kurt,

The new controller is still acting a little flakey, but does not appear to be the reason for the loss of fluid. I restested the controller with pump set to start spraying at 2.5 volts and it activated about where it should (aprox 7 pounds), but didn't shut itself off when partially getting out of the throttle. That was strange because it was enough to show vacuum on the gauge, and the motor started missing. The indicator light didn't go off until I got completely off the gas pedal. With starting voltage set to just under 3 volts, it seems to be turning on and off okay, but the activation boost level is a little higher than I'd like (aprox 10 pounds).

David

Back