Roughly whats my Hp/tq and what 1/4 mile could I expect

TOOFAST87

I've got an 89 5spd sc its running close to 14-15 according to gauge, gasket matched ported polished heads, scorpion 1.73roller rockers, arp rod bolts, arp head studs, matched potted polished inlet outlet SC intakes, supercharger pulley 10%, gasket matched ported polished oem manifolds, 2 1/2 to xpipe to single 3 to dual 3 with borlas. Brand new Riken raptor zr 245/50zr16 on rear 225/55zr16 on front. 190k miles thanks
And another question it was running over the 15 on gauge when blew hgs at 188k. That's before the mods. I thought it'd be running way more boost could've I lost boost psi from at the porting. Thanks. Just curious what to expect from car.

maybe low 14's i see no cam in that list or intercooler mods or tuning. those 3 can make a big change. i run the 17 inch raptors 245/45/17 i air them down to 20 pounds and have gotten 2.0 60 fts out of them pretty good for a street tire. what size intake and maff are you running? did you port the 89 charger? I wouldn't trust the stock gauge they suck for being accurate.

Last edited:

I've got an 89 5spd sc its running close to 14-15 according to gauge, gasket matched ported polished heads, scorpion 1.73roller rockers, arp rod bolts, arp head studs, matched potted polished inlet outlet SC intakes, supercharger pulley 10%, gasket matched ported polished oem manifolds, 2 1/2 to xpipe to single 3 to dual 3 with borlas. Brand new Riken raptor zr 245/50zr16 on rear 225/55zr16 on front. 190k miles thanks
And another question it was running over the 15 on gauge when blew hgs at 188k. That's before the mods. I thought it'd be running way more boost could've I lost boost psi from at the porting. Thanks. Just curious what to expect from car.

I don't see anything you have listed that will increase power except for the 10% supercharger pulley, and possibly the ported heads (depending on what work was done to them). Based on that, I would expect it to run mid 15s in cool weather, if you can launch it cleanly.

David

Last edited:
The ported & polished head work wont yield as much a bang for the buck due to the smallish valves. The head work would produce more bang if bigger valves had been added. The stock cam is very mild and a big bang for the buck is a better cam, the roller rockers, while nice add nothing to the HP equation. If you have the stock blower and intake, they really suck. You need a 94-95 ported blower with a MP plenum. The throttle body is a restriction as well as the MAF. The 10% pulley is going going to be way to much without a intercooler upgrade like Jason said. Any exhaust work? If not the stock cats and resonator are a big restriction. I would say with the 10% pulley it takes off good but falls off as the computer pulls a ton of timing from the high ACTs. My guess is closer to Davids

Ken

in regards to the boost question-boost is back pressure, relieve the back pressure and lower the boost and go faster. back in the day my son had a 90 automatic. it was running 16.s when it popped a head gasket. to make a long story short, with new gaskets some minor porting and polishing, cutting the cats apart and then rewelding them and a 5% pully he went into the mid low 14s. depending on the launch and lost about 6lbs of boost.

Stock intake tube, tb and maf. K&n tho. Yeah got full exhaust system built for it. What's best bang for the buck for a low budget married guy lol.

do the exhaust. if you cant get by without cats then spring for high flow models. next would be gears. that wont add power, but it will feel like it and will make the car quicker. i spent a lot of time on my sons exhaust. i ported and polished the stock exhaust manifolds to the point that the inside was like a mirror.

Same here and no cats full 2 1/2 into 2 1/2 x pipe into 3 single under tank back into dual 3 with borlas. Still has original gears.

And no on porting supercharger. It's the only thing that wasn't Never done one before didnt want to mess it up. If there good directions on it I'd do it. Does that help alot?

It gets great mpgs. It runs around 1850rpm at 65 in 5th. Only runs it to 2800-2900rpm at 120 in 5th. It's a cruiser but bro in law challenged me in his v8 s10. And wanting to give it a shot. Lmao says he's got 500hp but no way it only ran a 13.70. And it's just the skin completely gutted with 4.10s and mickeys. Swapped to manual brakes and steering. Sounds fast as he'll but going down the road looks and feels slow. I think my car feels way faster but SC's are torque monsters.

It gets great mpgs. It runs around 1850rpm at 65 in 5th. Only runs it to 2800-2900rpm at 120 in 5th. It's a cruiser but bro in law challenged me in his v8 s10. And wanting to give it a shot. Lmao says he's got 500hp but no way it only ran a 13.70. And it's just the skin completely gutted with 4.10s and mickeys. Swapped to manual brakes and steering. Sounds fast as he'll but going down the road looks and feels slow. I think my car feels way faster but SC's are torque monsters.

Every guy I know who has a v8 thinks the motor makes 500hp and every guy I know with an import thinks it makes 300whp. lol Your car would probably be in the 14's somewhere. You should race him though! These cars are really fast off of the line but are kinda turds on the top end. You would probably keep up with him for a little ways but a s10 is a lot lighter than a Super Coupe so he would start to pull away on the top end.

the power in these cars comes from getting the engine to move air better and building up boost once your engine is moving air

so since you have stock valves and no cam increasing boost might not help you very much at this point

also, if you plan to increase power and get torque to lets say 350rw then be very careful lowering your gear ratio from the stock 2.73 as your 1st gear will tend to disapear

also I have 342rwhp and 403rwtq and I average 16mpg and have pulled 22mpg on highway...I think I can do better but I will prob never know because I built my car so I can drive it hard

The problem is the older style blower, they are just junk for making HP. You need to swap a 94-95 blower at a minimum, a ported one would be a plus. There are many guys who would help you out with porting information. The next thing about the roots style blower is it needs the least amount of restriction on the intake side of the blower. Thats why you will see the big dogs running 95MM TB and big sewer size fresh air tubes to match. In your case a 75MM throttle body, 76MM MAF, matching air tube and the biggest cone filter you can fit will make a big diffrence. A K&N panel filter is not big enough, go to the cone. That will make a diffrence. Quit thinking of boost #s. If you do things right the boost number will drop & HP will go up and than you add over drive to pump more air and make more power. It really is all about moving air through the engine. Dont forget that once you start down the path of modding the engine tuning it all to work right becomes the most important part of making good power

Ken

Last edited:
Ok. I also have autolite xp iridium plugs in it. But when I put motor in I just gapped them to stock gap. Is that ok or should I change with what I have done to it. And whats probably the best gap to set them Now Thanks.

I'd love to have atleast the 94-95 blower what do they runs price wise. Lol I know a AR, whipple, kennebell outta my piggy banks reach. From what I've read on here it's barely worth it ported94-95 to a mpx. Especially price between the two I'd imagine.

Last edited:
I'd say high 14's. Depending on your elevation higher or maybe a bit lower.

As had bene said not much has been done to go faster. Look for a 94/95 blower setup an dget an S port on it. The earlier blower is useless in comparison. Should have gotten a camshaft. In my experience teh camshaft makes a world of difference wven with stock valve heads.

So if hes running 13.7's..no chance

Ok. I also have autolite xp iridium plugs in it. But when I put motor in I just gapped them to stock gap. Is that ok or should I change with what I have done to it. And whats probably the best gap to set them Now Thanks.

I'd love to have atleast the 94-95 blower what do they runs price wise. Lol I know a AR, whipple, kennebell outta my piggy banks reach. From what I've read on here it's barely worth it ported94-95 to a mpx. Especially price between the two I'd imagine.

If it's not missfiring under a load then leave the gap at stock settings. I'm using the same plug (XP103) and mine are gapped down to .030 to avoid missfiring when the motor is cold and it's running too rich.

David

I miss my 2.73 gears. I should have never swapped them out. Especially with today's gas prices. Hell when I did gas was under $2.00/gal and I was all about every inch of speed I could squeeze out. But it sure was fun shifting out of 3rd at 110 mph. Now I have to shift into 4th before I cross the 1/4 mile stripes at the track.

If that S10 had 500 hp he'd be running low 11's. If he's running 13.70's he's probably putting down 260 whp in it maybe less.

I know I laughed cuz he's always bragging that everything he's done to the motor he's got around 500hp. He's wife says he's a race car builder. I just started cracking up when he said he ran a 13.70 and got smoked by a maruader at Tulsa speedway. Ain't no way he'd run 13.70 with 500hp. Just another chevy guy that thinks there beasts.

Back