Door lock went "click" when turning key...and its now inop

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Driving the new-to-me 35th the past couple weeks. All good, but this morning when I went to use the key to open the door, the key turned, I heard a subtle "click" and the door lock didn't open. It was a subtle click, but definitely sounds like something gave out and broke. Any clues? I've used the keyless entry pad to unlock the door, but would like to sort out the issue. It doesn't help that it's been cold as bawls, even with ice, so maybe some plastic piece became brittle and gave out.

I was planning on bringing out the shop manual later, but always interested in any suggestions from the group.

Thanks!

Most common is the small white plastic keeper clip on the rod from the lock cylinder to the lock rod (?).

Good news it they should be readily available at your local parts store, they get brittle like most parts using the same material on our cars after all these years - bad news is you'll need to pull the door panel, glass up, to access. Kind of a puzzle as I recall, not a lot of access, but you'll get it.

75451 is it, I think:
https://www.autozone.com/collision-body-parts-and-hardware/door-lock-rod-clip/ford/thunderbird/2002

Last edited:
Most common is the small white plastic keeper clip on the rod from the lock cylinder to the lock rod (?).

Good news it they should be readily available at your local parts store, they get brittle like most parts using the same material on our cars after all these years - bad news is you'll need to pull the door panel, glass up, to access. Kind of a puzzle as I recall, not a lot of access, but you'll get it.

75451 is it, I think:
https://www.autozone.com/collision-body-parts-and-hardware/door-lock-rod-clip/ford/thunderbird/2002

That's what I'm hoping it will be, a clip. I had a clip go in my olg titanium 89, but it was a differnet one (door handle wouldn't work). I keep forgetting there are several of those back there. Still yet to peek at the shop manual diagrams to confirm which one I need.

Thanks for the input my friend!

75451 is it, I think:

Hey Ken,

I just checked my 89 & 95 shop manuals and I could have sworn there was a diagram showing the clips for all those door lock rods. Am I missing it?

Not that I'm doubting you, but I wanted to double check the diagram to see what other clips are round there. I was going to consider getting the other clips too, just in case.

I have 75451 on order. I will be tackling this on the 35th this week.

My '90 shop manual is most likely same as yours... section 44-16-1.

44-16-3 shows the lock cylinder and rod(s), but no clips or bushings and no details on those rods at the cylinder or of the cylinder.

All the references at the latch 14-16-3 View B are 'bushing'...don't see 'clip'. P/N 385666-S, shown three times on the latch assembly 21812 - The clip I'm thinking of is actually a bushing with a keeper, tho, so...

Might be my recall failed, sorry :confused: and/or I was working on a different rod/clip, maybe the lock rod or the rod at the handle.

These should be our door lock cylinders - you can see the clips (definitely not what I had in mind before) at the lock cylinder in the images:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-DL62B-...ash=item3a9ca69c7b:g:J9IAAOSw7GRZHb3K&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
My '90 shop manual is most likely same as yours... section 44-16-1.

44-16-3 shows the lock cylinder and rod(s), but no clips or bushings and no details on those rods at the cylinder or of the cylinder.

All the references at the latch 14-16-3 View B are 'bushing'...don't see 'clip'. P/N 385666-S, shown three times on the latch assembly 21812 - The clip I'm thinking of is actually a bushing with a keeper, tho, so...

Might be my recall failed, sorry :confused: and/or I was working on a different rod/clip, maybe the lock rod or the rod at the handle.

These should be our door lock cylinders - you can see the clips (definitely not what I had in mind before) at the lock cylinder in the images:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-DL62B-...ash=item3a9ca69c7b:g:J9IAAOSw7GRZHb3K&vxp=mtr

Gotcha, I was trying to prep for the job but I think i'll just remove the panel and inspect to see what broke.

Thanks for the input Ken.

Yeah, it has to be either the plastic clip attached to the lock tumbler or the one attached to the door latch mechanism. The little kit in KMT's AZ link has both pieces.

I have at the lock cylinder rod just pop out of the lower plastic clip before. Just had to pop it back in and rock-on. The plastic should be in good shape if it hasn't been tampered with before though.....that original stuff has always been pliable on the numerous MN12's I've messed with.

Back