Tubular K-Member (Round 2)

fastsc92

Well after a long time away from the SC scene...I've had the opportunity to gather some parts and dive back into it (for better or worse...)

I've been toying around with the idea to start up tubular k-member fabrication again. There are 4 units floating around out there to date and the design will be nearly the same as what was produced in the past.

For those that haven't followed the threads in the past, this k-member will be fully tubular construction and utilizes all stock suspension components. All stock parts will bolt in and you will still maintain all the stock suspension adjustment capabilities. Construction is from DOM steel tubing and the weight is slightly less than half of the stock k-member. It is approx. 24lbs different. The biggest factor is that there is now MASSIVE amounts of room under there to work on headers, plugs, steering, etc. Large oil pans wont be an issue at all.

Prelim pricing with steel costs on the rise would be about $600 + shipping.

At this point I'm trying to gauge interest (not taking orders) to see if it's even worth it for me to up-rev my jig one more time and start cranking out another 10-15 units. If you're interested let me know so that I can weigh the demand vs. time spent getting set up again.

Damon....don't worry...you're not forgotten :cool:

I have one of Jay's K-members and have been running it for a long time (5 years I think). It is one of my favorite mods. Forget the weight savings just being able to work on the car effortlessly from below is well worth the investment.

I know there are differences between 89-92 and 93+ K-members, so would this one work in all years, or only later ones, or only early ones? Also, any pics of the previous ones installed?

I know there are differences between 89-92 and 93+ K-members, so would this one work in all years, or only later ones, or only early ones? Also, any pics of the previous ones installed?

The jig has been constructed such that it can be fabricated to either version. Brian and Ricardo have the later version while Dave and myself have been running the earlier versions. The changes are minor and are focused on the motor mounts.

With that being said, the newest generation of these k-members will most likely go with a small block ford style of motor mount, from a fox body mustang. This will allow easy sourcing and more choices for poly mounts for FAR cheaper than that offered by SC specific vendors.

Perhaps Brian can post some pictures of his unit installed. I'll get some archived pictures up when I get home.

At this point, I'm just trying to gauge interest to see if its worth my while because there are legal and business expenses that I'd need to work out.

Well after a long time away from the SC scene...I've had the opportunity to gather some parts and dive back into it (for better or worse...)

I've been toying around with the idea to start up tubular k-member fabrication again. There are 4 units floating around out there to date and the design will be nearly the same as what was produced in the past.

For those that haven't followed the threads in the past, this k-member will be fully tubular construction and utilizes all stock suspension components. All stock parts will bolt in and you will still maintain all the stock suspension adjustment capabilities. Construction is from DOM steel tubing and the weight is slightly less than half of the stock k-member. It is approx. 24lbs different. The biggest factor is that there is now MASSIVE amounts of room under there to work on headers, plugs, steering, etc. Large oil pans wont be an issue at all.

Prelim pricing with steel costs on the rise would be about $600 + shipping.

At this point I'm trying to gauge interest (not taking orders) to see if it's even worth it for me to up-rev my jig one more time and start cranking out another 10-15 units. If you're interested let me know so that I can weigh the demand vs. time spent getting set up again.

Damon....don't worry...you're not forgotten :cool:

hahaha! Glad to see you back!

A few pics from the past. I do antisipate some changes however on future items

Attachments

• IMG_0827.jpg
    IMG_0827.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 926
  • IMG_0822.jpg
    IMG_0822.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 906
  • IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 904
  • Brian 94 K-1.jpg
    Brian 94 K-1.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 909
I am interested in one, possibly 2, both for pre-92 cars, but I would actually prefer to keep stock MN12 style motor mounts.

Im in for one but I was under the impression that the only thing that wouldn't work is the sway bar for some reason? Also has anyone ever made a rear sub frame out of tubular steel?

Im in for one but I was under the impression that the only thing that wouldn't work is the sway bar for some reason? Also has anyone ever made a rear sub frame out of tubular steel?

...Not sure why you'd think the sway bar wouldn't work....This uses all stock suspension components without modification.

Also rear tubular arms and tubular rear subframe are in the works.....

Back