HP guesses in the new year.....

i think you stop at 365 rwhp even if its at 15lbs. boost is an addiction and the first step is admitting it... especially when all you need to do is twist a knob...no pulley swap nonsense:p..I know you said pump gas but is an e-85 tune in the cards? how much timing and iat temps is it logging? blow thru or draw thru awesome results... pics too pls!!

Last edited:
It responded better than we thought it would. Of course we can't drive it now since we are in the midst of blizzard season, so on the road driving impressions will have to wait till spring. But we wanted to find out how a split port swap and turbo would compare to spending money on an M90 to get to the same power levels. It's pretty easy to get to 300rwhp with an M90, but we all know how hard it is to get from 300 to 350. With this setup it should be as easy as adding a boost controller.

This turbo setup is designed to be very user and service friendly, it can be used with AC and cruise, exhaust is relatively quiet, and it uses as much of the stock SC hardware as possible. I'll post pictures soon as well.

The tune is not aggressive because the motor is stock and we are understandably a bit nervous about the powder metal rods. If it were just a split port top end swap on a stock SC shortblock we'd have no worries about 15-16psi. We do plan to run E85 in spring but still won't be turning it up a whole lot because we just don't have the time/budget for a bottom end right now.

Impressive for that amount of boost. Looks like it will be in the 350 range with controller...

14psi should get you close to 350rwhp. I'd say swap in a small cam but stock can easily make enough power with a turbo to window the block.

It responded better than we thought it would. Of course we can't drive it now since we are in the midst of blizzard season, so on the road driving impressions will have to wait till spring. But we wanted to find out how a split port swap and turbo would compare to spending money on an M90 to get to the same power levels. It's pretty easy to get to 300rwhp with an M90, but we all know how hard it is to get from 300 to 350. With this setup it should be as easy as adding a boost controller.

This turbo setup is designed to be very user and service friendly, it can be used with AC and cruise, exhaust is relatively quiet, and it uses as much of the stock SC hardware as possible. I'll post pictures soon as well.

The tune is not aggressive because the motor is stock and we are understandably a bit nervous about the powder metal rods. If it were just a split port top end swap on a stock SC shortblock we'd have no worries about 15-16psi. We do plan to run E85 in spring but still won't be turning it up a whole lot because we just don't have the time/budget for a bottom end right now.

Can a turbo setup retaining ac etc be built that supports 500rwhp?

If you already have the supporting mods for your amped up MPIII or MPX the TVS isn't that bad if you want to go the supercharger route. I do see the benefits of the turbo though... It seems as though it would require more fabrication.... If you think about it, Dave N had his black car with AC and it was capable of a 9 second pass and then could be tamed down to cruise on the street.....

It depends a lot on the engine, the turbo, etc. On my car, with a really mild 3.8, we tried to go with a turbo that was big enough to give a little room to grow but hopefully keeping lag to a minimum. We ended up switching to an even smaller housing after the fact just to help spool a little more. It definitely takes a different technique to make use of it, but you quickly learn.

I figured it would make the hotside easier to plumb and the car easier
to work on in general. realisticly to make 500rwhp would I need a turbo
so large it would be lag city?

One's opinion on lag is basically going to be based on how they like to enjoy their car. Any turbo worth putting on is going to "lag" to some degree.

The drag strip is no big deal, you don't have to worry about lag there, the right setup will leave as hard as you want it to. The street is a whole different story

I figured it would make the hotside easier to plumb and the car easier
to work on in general. realisticly to make 500rwhp would I need a turbo
so large it would be lag city?

For a turbo newb with a 4.2 I'd recommend an on3 70mm with 68 ar. I ran a 6262 on my 4.3l and it made target boost with half throttle. I did not care for instant boost because way to much tq to control.

A turbo setup that spools like my 3.5 EcoBoost would be nice lol but I know
that is s pipe dream considering the tiny turbos on the truck. I actually have a turbo
grind in my car now. I run 3.73s and a 2800stall non locking aod I am curious if I would
have to make any changes to that setup to utilize a turbo. .

Not sure if you have dynoed this one again but I would think you would get your 350 hp right around 12 psi of boost. You don't have to use any horsepower to turn a blower and that makes a big difference.

Back