Wierd Problem

chadder1313

My car seems to have a wierd miss. After holding full throttle for a long period of time the car will all of a sudden start missing horribly. It acts like its running on 2 cylinders. The check engine light will come on. The wierd thing is if you shut the car off asnd restart it the miss goes away and it runs normal. What would cause this?

My car seems to have a wierd miss. After holding full throttle for a long period of time the car will all of a sudden start missing horribly. It acts like its running on 2 cylinders. The check engine light will come on. The wierd thing is if you shut the car off asnd restart it the miss goes away and it runs normal. What would cause this?

Those symptoms could be cause by a number of issues.
Check the following:
  • Pull the codes and post them here.
  • Remove all your belts and firmly pull on you harmonic balancer and insure it doesn't move. Start the car with no belts and insure it doesn't wobble.
  • Check or replace your crank sensor.
  • If it’s an 89-93 SC, remove you DIS module and insure it has a good coating of Heat Sync compound on the matting surface. Clean and replace the compound
  • Swap the DIS with a known good one.

The running on 2 cyl symptom is a bad DIS behaviour.
The reapplication of a good heat sink compound may buy you a little time.
Take the screws that hold the DIS out, clean the old compound off,
shine up the bottom of the DIS, and the AC bracket that it mounts to.
Get some good heat sink compound from the Computer Store.
(I use Artic Silver from Frys Electronics) Apply a "thin" coat across the entire mounting surface. Tighten the screws down a little at a time. Get it snug, but don't tighten it like a lug nut.

Sometimes this will bring a flakey DIS back to life.

Hope it works for you

Back