1994 4R70W - transmission of doom

Well as luck would have it I did NOT ruin anything. Put 13 Quarts of fluid in her and took it out for a spin. Shifts VERY nicely. Wished I had a method to check PCM code version - will look into that later. Checked fluid when I got back from the test drive and it appears as though it's full at 13 Quarts to the "hot" line (I did take it out on the freeway and open it up a little bit too).

Pretty happy to have this beast back on the road for my daughter. Now with trans, filter and fluid I'm into this car $1000 including purchase price. It's so quiet that now I am reminded that this car might need rear wheel bearings or some differential work since there's a very small low frequency whine back there. When that/those go perhaps it will be time to send it off to pasture.

Thanks for the help all

4r70w

Well as luck would have it I did NOT ruin anything. Put 13 Quarts of fluid in her and took it out for a spin. Shifts VERY nicely. Wished I had a method to check PCM code version - will look into that later. Checked fluid when I got back from the test drive and it appears as though it's full at 13 Quarts to the "hot" line (I did take it out on the freeway and open it up a little bit too).

Pretty happy to have this beast back on the road for my daughter. Now with trans, filter and fluid I'm into this car $1000 including purchase price. It's so quiet that now I am reminded that this car might need rear wheel bearings or some differential work since there's a very small low frequency whine back there. When that/those go perhaps it will be time to send it off to pasture.

Thanks for the help all

Your 4R70W innards will fit and are an improvement for the AOD that are used in the 89-91 SC (and other birds as well). 4R70W have the wider 2" overdrive drum and other changes that will help the issues with the AOD. Transmissions are not that hard to overhaul, mostly a good overhaul manual, a place to wrestle with it and the best quality snap ring pliers you can find.
Using Alta "red" frictions and steels the AOD with 4R70W innards becomes a decent transmission. The strongest version of the 4R70W is from the F-150. It's only a matter of time before my 91 has overdrive problems and I'll be looking for that 4R70W to swap in the better parts. Also.. the Torque Converter and input shafts are totally different between the two automatics. The AOD has a weak shaft-in-shaft design (two seatings on the Torque Converter installation, 4R70W is one seating like most other Torque Converters are..AOD's are the oddball).
Your 4R70W has value as a improved swap core to the AOD. The AOD body accepts all of the 4R70W innards with no modification. Use the AOD valve body with a shift kit and the same TV settings determined by pressure gauge, it'll be a good unit for many a mile. You are very fortunate you did not fracture the cast iron front pump gear tabs. T/C snouts also have been made different diameters in Fords from time to time. C6 460 used in Lincolns are not the same as T-Bird or Mercs. Ask me how I know that from first hand experience!$$!

I was going to keep the old core but I have a 3.8 SC and a 92 5.0 LX of which none are compatible. The 5.0 has a dead transmission and I just replace/rebuild a 3.8/5.0 4R70W for it when the time frees up to work on Mustang that's been sitting for a while now. If you're anywhere near Oregon I'm about to list the 4R70W core for cheap on Craig's.

Back