Webasto sunroof seal (original)

I saw some vulcanizing cement in a small can at the Pepboys store this morning next to the black weatherstrip adhesive. $5

It was next to the tire patch kits, which had rubber cements, however the kits' rubber cements did not specifically state that they were vulcanizing. I opened the can of Vulcanizing cement and peeked in just to see. Unlike the rubber cement that I use on envelopes, etc., this was more of a liquid.

Anyways, I'm sure there's some logic to it. Live long and prosper. "V" :D

Last edited:
If these sell out and someone wants a spare let me know. I have one.

I checked out the spare glass I have and the seal is in great condition and didn't leak in the parts car so I am installing that glass first....the seal I bought will wait patiently until this one leaks.

Glad this worked out for people.

From an OLD pm with Cobra85:

One suggestion, leave the gasket set in the sun for a month before you install it. It will shrink about 3/16" if you don't. While installing, DON'T stretch it at all.

did anybody try this? how did it work?

Im going to be orderign at least two seals.....i think that leaky seals are what destroyed the headliners on my 89 and 95 :mad:.

also, the seals are the same 89-95 (probably until 97) correct?

I just recently ordered a seal from T&G (?) Automotive for $68 plus shipping. I got the seal today, and it has the felt on it, just like OEM. However, something about it looks a little different from the one on the car. The profile of the seal has a little hook to it. I don't think the seal on the car now is shaped that way - the "tail" just comes straight out perpendicular from the oval section. Can someone verify that I got the right part? Thanks in advance!

P.S. - Sorry to make you stare at my fist. :rolleyes:

2vtnv3d.jpg

UPDATE: These seals are still available through Webasto dealers as part of their aftermarket division. I bought one and it looks just like the old version.

I researched the correct part# and S1590-E-5010C-A is the aftermarket part# you or anyone else should reference for any future orders from the aftermarket division.

Thomas

I put the Webasto replacement seal in a few years ago and have already seen it shrink enough to need to put in additional strips twice. It has shrunk about 3" total :( Has this happened to anyone else? I am sure most of my problem is that I have to leave the car outside.

Back