93 sc auto dying in long traffic

pock1

hi guys n gals my 93 sc auto dies in very long traffic jams.:mad: new battery, alternator have been replaced months ago............still long traffic ( almost stand still ) on the throgs neck bridge go to bx..leaving long island. i also have underdrive pullies . my thing is........at isle( factoty setting) sitting in travvic on parkway....my car is almost out of juice by the time i get to bx. ive changed my factory alt twice in the last 2 years.. wth?.......this is my daily so i don't get it. regular traffic........no problem...i checked my charging system.13 and half volts steady at idle with lights on heat, etc. u get me in 35 mins of heavy traffic. i gotta do 2 feet driving lol then. she dead . so with that being said.............is the underdrive pullies not charging enough...........? when i put my foot on the gas..light brighten up. so what i have is.............not enough steady charging my alternator in long traffic. fixes.........1 taking off the underdrive pullies and going back to stock to get my factory charging idle.............. 2 upgrading my alternator to 6 g. question.........since the factory crank pulley is balanced with factory balancer.will mine wobble bc i have a bhj balancer on car now? thx in advance.

hi guys n gals my 93 sc auto dies in very long traffic jams.:mad: new battery, alternator have been replaced months ago............still long traffic ( almost stand still ) on the throgs neck bridge go to bx..leaving long island. i also have underdrive pullies . my thing is........at isle( factoty setting) sitting in travvic on parkway....my car is almost out of juice by the time i get to bx. ive changed my factory alt twice in the last 2 years.. wth?.......this is my daily so i don't get it. regular traffic........no problem...i checked my charging system.13 and half volts steady at idle with lights on heat, etc. u get me in 35 mins of heavy traffic. i gotta do 2 feet driving lol then. she dead . so with that being said.............is the underdrive pullies not charging enough...........? when i put my foot on the gas..light brighten up. so what i have is.............not enough steady charging my alternator in long traffic. fixes.........1 taking off the underdrive pullies and going back to stock to get my factory charging idle.............. 2 upgrading my alternator to 6 g. question.........since the factory crank pulley is balanced with factory balancer.will mine wobble bc i have a bhj balancer on car now? thx in advance.

Hello Tony. Pull the under-drive pulleys to see if that is the issue. It probably won't be but you have to be sure. What you do want to do is take the heat soak off the starter. Wrap it in header rap. Bet that solves the problem.

13 and half volts steady at idle with lights on heat, etc.
Thats not enough charging voltage. Good alternators are hard to come by these days. The remans are not that great, and new ones are hard to even find. I'd recommend swapping the pulleys out and see if it helps, but you may have to take it in and have it tested again.

Also, remember.. don't charge a dead battery by running the car and letting the alt do the work. They don't stand up long that way. Its a design flaw, but something about the increased heat load. To be safe, if the battery gets drained, put it on a charger.

pullies

Thx guys for the input, if I go back to factory pullies will my stock crank pulley be out of balance?

If I recall, the ASP underdrive pulleys I bought years ago advertised full charge around 900 rpm. I agree that I'd start with the pulleys.

Back