Windshield fun..... NOT!

drlance

Well, I finally decided to have the driver's door glass and the windshield water leak fixed at my local glass shop.
They said the glass was easy, took like 45 minutes.... Then came the windshield.....(Gloomy music please!)
Someone prior to me, tried to replace the windshield and forgot to seal it!!! So it was little wonder that you got a shower either in the car wash or when driving faster than 30 MPH in the rain!
Needless to say, they also cracked it when they were installing it, so-o-o to make a sad story short..... I'm getting a new windshield!
The good news is..... It won't leak AND I'll be able to see clearly now! (Sounds like a great name for a song, huh?)
With the car sitting overnight Iwon't have to wait to roll the driver's window down!!!!
Lance

I can see clearly now.....

Picked up the SC..... One more set of things fixed!!
By the way..... A new windshield is under $200. With the install, it was $324. Included a new seal and clips.
Just FYI,
Lance

What seal? it should be only the windshield and adhesive. The metal trim mouldings are the only seals that are left.

Not the glass shop....

Not the glass shop I took it to, the previous replacement didn't seal the windshield. It was chipped and had small cracks in 3 places that were discovered after the shop removed the windshield intact and was cleaning off some sort of silicone adhesive to reinstall it. They think whoever did the last instal used the silicone to try and prevent the windshield from cracking. It sort of worked, but they didn't use the sealant to set the windshield. So of course, it leaked!
I talked with one of the previous owners and he never drove it rain, so he didn't know the windshield leaked! I am using it a bit more, so I get to find all these neat things....

That black trim along the top of the windshield is actually a seal!! The old one looked aged and faded, with the new windshield it is brand new. The glass shop also said there is a sealant that is supposed to be laid down before the new windshield and seal go in, along the top and the bottom of the windshield in order to prevent the leak that I had. and to prevent a cowel leak. that was done too.
I'll find out next rain storm!!!
Now! A new accumulator balll, and get the A/C recharged and we are ALMOST all back together!!

ALthough I do like the car, so it is worth it.

Lance

Since the glass shop broke the windshield shouldn't they be paying for it?

I have to set a few things straight.
The windshield is held in place using urathane(look very much like silicone,but much stronger), someone may have tried to seal the windshield leak with silicone but it was not installed with silicone as it would have flown out of the car long ago.
The moulding on top of the windshield is in NO way a seal,no matter what bs the glass shop fed you,i9t is only there to fill the windshield install channel so that it looks finished,it is not a seal of anything.
It is quite common on older fords that the factory windshield adhesive comes off and causes a major water leak(i know as mine was an oe windshield and came off almost all the way around,very little was holding it in),it will look like it was not sealed correctly but at one time it was.
Silicone will not stop cracks,your windsield was probably doing the same as mine and de laminating due to age, this happens right at the corners underneith the moldings and cowl so you can't see it until they are removed.
Just figured i'd repair your misinformation.

They did change the in 96 or 97 to a rubber moulding and not the metal trim. It is still not a seal and but it is made out of rubber. I found a 96-97 in the wreck yard and found this out looking for a decent metal moulding.

It could be that aftermarket windshields supply the rubber so they only have one part # for all the years.

The moulding on top of the windshield is in NO way a seal,no matter what bs the glass shop fed you,i9t is only there to fill the windshield install channel so that it looks finished,it is not a seal of anything.
The strip is actually painted aluminum. My suggestion is if its in good shape, it can be tapped on slightly to restore a good fit. A small bead of silicon running the length of the strip on the underside tidies up the fit and reduces wind noise.

My black car has the smaller rubber strip instead of the moulding... I don't care for it.

Ah. I thought you meant the shop you took it to cracked the windshield that was in the car while removing it.

Not the glass shop I took it to, the previous replacement didn't seal the windshield. It was chipped and had small cracks in 3 places that were discovered after the shop removed the windshield intact and was cleaning off some sort of silicone adhesive to reinstall it. They think whoever did the last instal used the silicone to try and prevent the windshield from cracking. It sort of worked, but they didn't use the sealant to set the windshield. So of course, it leaked!
I talked with one of the previous owners and he never drove it rain, so he didn't know the windshield leaked! I am using it a bit more, so I get to find all these neat things....

That black trim along the top of the windshield is actually a seal!! The old one looked aged and faded, with the new windshield it is brand new. The glass shop also said there is a sealant that is supposed to be laid down before the new windshield and seal go in, along the top and the bottom of the windshield in order to prevent the leak that I had. and to prevent a cowel leak. that was done too.
I'll find out next rain storm!!!
Now! A new accumulator balll, and get the A/C recharged and we are ALMOST all back together!!

ALthough I do like the car, so it is worth it.

Lance

Thanks everyone!!

I guess I'm not as informed as I would like to be!!
Whatever the top piece is..... it is brand new now! No wind noise and NO Leaks!!!! I was out during a downpour this weekend, no water inside the car!!! (Doing the 'Balki' dance of joy)
The OE windshield on my 79 Ranchero is delaminating, it has that permanent foggy look around the edges. Some day I'll have to have it replaced, just one project at a time, Please!!!
Oh! I ran into the gentleman that owned this SC 2 owners ago... He brought me an 'Official Ford Repair Manual'. for thunderbird and cougars.
Blue cover (what else?) and is a three ring binder. Everything in it matches what has been posted on the 35th anniversary site, as far as pics and procedures. Thought it was a nice gesture to just give it to me since he no longer has the car.
Lance

Back