Super coupe love from Jalopnik

Right - which is strange, because it seems like if you write for jalop or one of it's sister sites, there is always a minimum word count/quota, where the reader, and others like the reader, or not, end up being forced into reading things like this, which in some cases, but not all, ok, all, seem to go on forever (remember that time when a long time seemed like forever?), with no substance, meaning or value to pay you the reader back for the time lost getting duped by yet another stick-in-the-eye click bait link......... Maybe they finally figured out they can get the same number of eyeballs with just a short blurb, instead of wasting all those server bytes.

regardless of this "articles" purpose, most of the fun with Jalopnik is the comments. I'm pleasantly surprised to see the love, yes reluctant from some, being shown. I think these cars are finally beginning to be appreciated if for no reason other than what the rest of the automotive world was producing at the time.

I think these cars are finally beginning to be appreciated if for no reason other than what the rest of the automotive world was producing at the time.

Agreed. I laugh every time I see a new advertisement for cars that have adjustable ride control and speed sensitive steering. "Where were you people 25 years ago?!?!" Then they tout the great aero improvements of today's cars. The drag coefficient of the MN12's was quite a few ticks below a lot of today's cars which made for great fuel economy for how inefficiently sized the motors were. It's nothing for me to average low to mid 20 mpg's, and that's with a few spirited exit and on ramps. Today's safety requirements do play a significant role in that, but still. They were way ahead of their time. Comfortable enough to cruise in/drive daily, and yet fast enough to have fun.

Besides the weight and complexity, I don't know what exactly causes the lack of "want", for lack of better word, for these cars. I guess you can look at the generation before the Fox chassis as a "wow those are ugly" and that's what gave them a bad name, but honestly, the same period Mustangs weren't the greatest either. It's also crossed my mind that maybe it's because there weren't that many SC's as compared to LX models, and since Thunderbirds turned into "luxury cruisers", it never caught on. A friend's dad said something to me when I was in high school that I'll never forget, and it still really gets on my nerves just to think about it. He saw me getting in it, and said, "oh a Thunder-chicken, that's not even a real Thunderbird". Thanks man, way to be a d(#$ to a 17 year old who loves cars, driving his mom's hand-me-down Super Coupe. (And yes, my mom daily drove, in the nice months, a 5 speed SC for quite a few years in my childhood. Chirped the tires shifting when I said she couldn't too; still can)

Last edited:
I think part of the problem is wasn't many to start with and even fewer now.

Got a laugh, some new car add on the radio touting automatic control of the low/high beam headlights. My 89 has that. Looks like something from Star Trek but works fine.

I was 18 in 89. Talked with dad about all of the nice bits available on the SC. His comment was just more stuff that will break and be expensive to fix. True words.

After finally getting a 89 and 95 SC keeping both as long as I can. Just huge fun cars!!!
Creighton

Back