Intercooler

Best solution for intercooler

• Total voters
I know it's an old post, but I figured I would make my contribution :p

So, I finally got around to installing a custom made double intercooler (w/ fan & w/o shroud). The IC had been sitting around for a few years now. :)

Okay, I'm reporting back after three years of using the Double Intercooler.

If I was to start over I would have taken the time and effort and installed a custom front mount.

My ACT's are seeing 200F with just normal summer driving, on average hover around 130-150F.

This is normal as it's not getting any better air flow but I was a bit naive back in '09 and didn’t really understand that. I will say this; the DIC is a great built unit and adds a bit of pizazz under the hood. It also helped the choking I was seeing from the single stock Intercooler, it helped tremendously in that department. My MPX can breathe easier now.

So, I'm now going to vote and say a custom front mount FTW!

EDIT: I'll have a double intercooler up for sale within the next month. :rolleyes: :p

-B

<br>
<br>

Last edited:
Okay, I'm reporting back after three years of using the Double Intercooler.

If I was to start over I would have taken the time and effort and installed a custom front mount.

My ACT's are seeing 200F with just normal summer driving. On average hover around 130-150F

So, I'm now going to vote and say a custom front mount FTW!

EDIT: I'll have a double intercooler up for sale within the next month. :rolleyes: :p

-B

<br>
<br>

Do you have a fan on it? What about a shroud?

My car runs at 190 max in traffic with the tune and FMIC, but ACT's from a hot stop to WOT will go up to 130 or 140 by the time I hit 100mph. I'm going to add an alky injection system and see what that does for my ACT's, but
overall, I think I have a good balance for the mods I have. If anything, I might go with a little bigger IC.

Making your own FMIC setup will be fun. :cool:

Do you have a fan on it? What about a shroud?

My car runs at 190 max in traffic with the tune and FMIC, but ACT's from a hot stop to WOT will go up to 130 or 140 by the time I hit 100mph. I'm going to add an alky injection system and see what that does for my ACT's, but
overall, I think I have a good balance for the mods I have. If anything, I might go with a little bigger IC.

Making your own FMIC setup will be fun. :cool:

Yes, I had a shroud and fan and while the fan might have helped a tiny bit it wasn't worth it, IMO. I even took the shroud off and mounted the fan directly to the intercooler with little or no gain.

Yea, I'm looking forward to a few additional mods for the Chameleon. Just need to find that motivation again.

Last edited:
Yes, I had a shroud and fan and while the fan might have helped a tiny bit it wasn't worth it, IMO. I even took the shroud off and mounted the fan directly to the intercooler with little or no gain.

Yea, I'm looking forward to a few additional mods for the Chameleon. Just need to find that motivation again.

I guess I used the wrong term saying "shroud"..:eek:

Did you have something to force air through the IC - similar to the big factory rubber boot?

I guess I used the wrong term saying "shroud"..:eek:

Did you have something to force air through the IC - similar to the big factory rubber boot?

Yea, I retained that accordion looking thing, wasn't easy to get it in and align right but it's in there. I did notice that once that was installed again it took a bit longer to get to the higher temps, so that seems important to preserve.

I have an 11x24 FMIC core with dual 10" fans and on days that are 90*+ it hovers around 110* with regular driving shifting at 3k

Oh yeah really happy with it :)

No Injection either

the best intercooler is none, intercoolers retain heat

bypass the intercooler and spray meth on it, that will solve all your issues its cheaper more reliable less restrictive and enables you to make more powah!!!

the best intercooler is none, intercoolers retain heat

bypass the intercooler and spray meth on it, that will solve all your issues its cheaper more reliable less restrictive and enables you to make more powah!!!

I did some research and that is what I'm going to do. I bought an Aqua Mist kit with a low fluid level sensor.

Decipha was talking about this for years. I saw one car that had a pipe made to connect the outlet of the supercharger to the return plenum on the intake. It ran like ~~~~. Way to hot of an air charge temp, timing couldn't be retarded enough to make it run good, car felt like a turd, and it popped the headgaskets. You'd have to constatntly spray the meth. Unless you want to tow a water tank behind you to hold your meth mixture, its just a stupid idea. For a car that runs race fuel and only runs for a 1/4 mile at a time, MAYBE you could make it work but for a street car, air to air intercooling is where its at.

I did some research and that is what I'm going to do. I bought an Aqua Mist kit with a low fluid level sensor.

Build an intercooler and use the aquamist on top of that, when needed.

Assuming a street car, you'll have a recurring cost running meth all the time, which will make it expensive in the long run. Air is free! :D

Not to mention, an IC is "more reliable", since it does not depend on lines, a pump, nozzles, controller, wiring to all be in working order to bring your intake temps down (and therefore help inhibit detonation).

I love my Alky injection system, but I think it would be a poor decision to run it alone on a forced-induction, performance oriented street car. I had toyed with the idea not long ago, but after thinking about it..nah.

Btw, I you're wanting to do this anyway, I would at least get a flow meter and tie it into whatever engine management system you have...if we're talking about an SC, use the SPOUT plug. Pull 8 degrees of timing, should the system fail.

Back