Cougar in 24 hrs of Lemons.

CougarXR/7

Ok.......either here or tccoa there was someone running a Cougar in 24 hours of Lemons. They swapped in a Windsor V-8 and kept the M2r2 trans/etc. Anyone have an idea who that was?

Cougar

Yes........as I recall it was him. I have a question about what clutch, starter and flywheel he used.

Yes that was me. The flywheel, clutch, and starter were all ordered for a 95 Ford F150 with a 5.0 and a 5-speed.

You can also use all the SC stuff if you have the flywheel rebalanced to match the 5.0's 50oz imbalance.

Last edited:
No. When we first put the car together, we ran the motor carb'd and used an HEI distributor adapted for a Ford. After 2 races we knew the carb setup was junk in terms of holding together for an endurance race, so we converted to EEC-V and OBD2 using everything from a 5.0 Explorer.

What exactly is it you are looking to do?

Well if it is going into an 89-93 car, the easiest way would be to use all the 91-93 Tbird/Cougar wiring and ECM.

In that case, I would get a 94/95 4.6 Tbird donor car, and use the engine wiring harness from it, and repin the ecm connector to use a 96-00 Explorer 5.0 ecm. That way the 94/95 wiring harness will work with your existing dash harness, and you can get OBD2 and DIS at the same time. This would involve some wiring work on the 4.6 engine harness to make it fit the 5.0, but probably no harder than a stand-alone wiring setup, and much cheaper!

I have a 94'.......so either a stand alone efi system or a good old Holley.

I have a 95 tbird w/ a 302 swapped in from a 93 donor.

http://forums.tccoa.com/8-engine-5-...1995-3-8l-n-5-0-swap-diy-lessons-learned.html

My wiring setup is as follows: 93 tbird engine harness, 93 tbird ECU harness, 93 tbird ECU, 95 tbird dash/chassis harness + gauge cluster (needed because I still wanted to support the ABS in my 95 chassis), 93 tbird tach in 95 tbird gauge (needed because my chassis is a V6). You can see my documentation of all my wiring changes which will be similar to your 94 chassis.

Tuning can be done with quarterhorse (OBD1). You can also upgrade the ECU to one from a 94-95 mustang if you want (effectively making your car a 94-95 5.0 Mustang as far as engine tuning goes) with a little tweaking
Here's my writeup on tuning basics with QH for my current setup (I still use the 93 tbird ECU since it does everything I want it to do and my engine is pretty "mild").
http://forums.tccoa.com/12-eec-tuni...underbird-5-0-tuning-quarterhorse-basics.html

Good luck

Solid info there, good post.

Would be cool to see more MN12s out in LeMons and Chumpcar.

cheers
Ed

Back