Things Learned From This Year's Shoot-Out

How did you manage to get a U-Haul trailer for an SC? I have tried before, but they say it's too heavy. Tell them you're trailering a VW?

I always say it's a Mustang, but if you have a big enough truck they'll allow you to tell the truth. They use pretty strict guidelines for the weight of the tow vehicle compared to he trailer/towed vehicle weight.

How did you manage to get a U-Haul trailer for an SC? I have tried before, but they say it's too heavy. Tell them you're trailering a VW?

My buddy who towed my car up there has a friend whos mom owns a u-haul rental location, the trailer she let us use was brand new, tires still had the tits on them. I guess the answer for us was knowing the owner....:D

It's worth taking a chance on some of "auction" items. That set of Gen II trunk lid LED lenses that I bought worked.

The Oatway's can cook like you wouldn't believe. I especially liked the flame thrower grille starter!

Steel Reserve 40 oz and a energy drink.....:eek:

Kurt Sunday is a riot.

I need to take a truck and trailer next year. I picked up as many parts as I brought for others!

Last edited:
  • You really can cook 100+ steaks at once.
  • Kathy Neibert sucks at football.
  • Nobody should ever let Micah near their car with a laptop. Ever.
  • Casey can drive on the track, but he's a menace on the street.
  • People should remove the 2x4's from their cars BEFORE going down the race track.
  • The MPX is as good as an M112.
  • Tents can fly.
  • :D

• The MPX is as good as an M112.

What M112 :rolleyes::eek:

You dont like to let things go do you :cool:

1. I learned to never speed thru OHIO. Those Troppers have some kind of magic and will appear out of nowhere and give you a 91 in a 65 without a problem.
2. Stick with highway racing. I cannot Drag my SC if my life depended on it.
3. Car gets 18MPG with new cam. :(
4. Driving 14 hours straight will cause you to hallucinate sp.
5. The blue raffle tickets are not stubs/recipts you must give them back with your name on the back.
6. Connie does not car if you make miracles happen to get to shootout, she will still cuss you out if you dont pre-register.
7. I like Dayton better, for many reasons. IE dyno.
8. Hardwork does not describe what the Dalkes and Oataways did for us this weekend. KUDOS to them.
9. I had no failures and drove there and back, with making 7 passes on slicks. Car was good to me.

What I learned at the shootout....

New U-haul trailers are awesome...
Virginia Beach is entirely too far from Portland Indiana
Portland Indiana is much colder and more windy than Va Beach
Muncie Dragstrip looks to have some awesome prep
Dont get wasted at the shootout, unless you want your picture posted of you sleeping in the bathtub, in the Hotel Elevator.
From what I hear you dont want to walk to a bar in Portland Indiana (Or back)
There are a lot of fast cars at the shootout
Kevin Leitem's car does not sound like a V6 at anything above idle.
Turbo cars will make some power
Keith Nichols has entirely too many spare parts
I need to bring my car next time as well
A Maurader with a Terminator engine and the bottle will run a 10.4 at 135mph (Friday Night).

Want to thank Dave D and everyone that had a hand in putting this event together. Was definetly an experience to be had. Chris Vining, didnt get to thank you before we parted ways in Northern Virginia yesterday. Thanks for the Directions there and back and the insight while we were there. As well as putting up with us all weekend.

I Learned

1 The rev limiter is set to low on my car:rolleyes:
2 Bring ear plugs when rooming with someone who snores
3 Bring a tuned engine to the shootout
4 Polish more on the engine compartment

Ken

Dont get wasted at the shootout, unless you want your picture posted of you sleeping in the bathtub, in the Hotel Elevator.
A Maurader with a Terminator engine and the bottle will run a 10.4 at 135mph (Friday Night).

Want to thank Dave D and everyone that had a hand in putting this event together. Was definetly an experience to be had. Chris Vining, didnt get to thank you before we parted ways in Northern Virginia yesterday. Thanks for the Directions there and back and the insight while we were there. As well as putting up with us all weekend.

Sorry I rolled out without saying bye... but your number 2 was taking way to long!:D

I learned Frdlvr30 had a long ride home. Margaritas took a day to go thru him.:p
I suffer from CRS so everything I learned I already forgot about... maybe thats a good thing.
Thanks everyone that made this happen again!

Dave, I would agree with everything you said.............:D

One more thing, when heads up with someone at the strip whose car is faster than yours, don't tell them that their chance of beating you is 100%.......you'll just look :eek: in the end............:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I learned:

1. Definately go for all three days, it's hard to meet and talk to people during racing.
2. Somebody has to have the slowest car so it might as well be me, just this once though!
3. Having the slowest car is better than not racing at all.
4. Not many XR7's show up but the ones that do are VERY nice.
5. I kind of miss the Indiana/Ohio cornfields after being gone for 7years after living there for 9years.
6. How slow a stock 5.0 T(for turtle)bird especially with a trunk full of tools and luggage.
7. How cool it is to see that big, black, supercharged Marauder making up 5 1/2 seconds!
8. That it's actually possible to have a day of racing without every 5th car shutting down the track.

Sorry I rolled out without saying bye... but your number 2 was taking way to long!:D

I learned Frdlvr30 had a long ride home. Margaritas took a day to go thru him.:p
I suffer from CRS so everything I learned I already forgot about... maybe thats a good thing.
Thanks everyone that made this happen again!

No, thats me waiting for food that I ordered. Took forever.....

Learned that I had the most fun possible with the greatest people ever.

I will never miss another Shootout.

Thank you to everyone!

Long Live the Super Coupe!

Kurt Sunday

ABE! It was great to meet you too! It was also nice to meet Bill Evanoff's son and his hot girlfriend and reconnect with Kelly Simon's two sons.

ABE! It was great to meet you too! It was also nice to meet Bill Evanoff's son and his hot girlfriend and reconnect with Kelly Simon's two sons.

It was nice to meet you too, im sure Caitlin agrees also.

Guess i should say what i learned,

Stay away from kurts bare ~~~
Trash can coolers are the shizzle.
Heal toe burn outs are not good on wimpy clutches.
Swapping blowers only takes a few minutes

Last edited:
Back