SCU 2.3 whipple kit pics and dyno results

David, I'm just as bad as you. When I drive my black car, if I stop at the store I've got to put on my walking shoes because I park so far away from any other vehicle being afraid of getting a door ding just to walk out and find someone parked right next to me...............:mad:

I took it out of the garage a few minutes ago and was going for a ride but as soon as I got to the end of my street I saw a couple of rain drops on the windshield and sooner than you can sneeze I was turned around and had it back in the garage.........what a cruise......................:p

That drives me NUTS whenever people park right next to you whenever there are sooooooo many parking spaces. Some people just do it instinctively from insecurity. They think the big, shiny-black birdy will keep them safe!

That drives me NUTS whenever people park right next to you whenever there are sooooooo many parking spaces. Some people just do it instinctively from insecurity. They think the big, shiny-black birdy will keep them safe!

Or they're just azzholes that know why you parked far away and do it to piss you off..................and it works very well.....................:rolleyes:

...these idiots who mow our lawn pointed the mower discharge chute toward the parking area and covered the entire front bumper and hood with grass...

Same dudes ran the mower deck into the passenger side tailpipe on my 94 a while back, breaking the exhaust mount in the process. :mad:

were any videos posted of this SC yet? ive been out of the game but i like to check in at sccoa to see how mods have progressed.

were any videos posted of this SC yet? ive been out of the game but i like to check in at sccoa to see how mods have progressed.

No videos yet with the 2.3...sounds pretty much the same as it did in these videos with the 1.7 AR.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/racecougar/Car Vids/Neiberts91SC2-27-08.flv">

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaX4Z7M4LPE

David

Last edited:
I wanted to get a baseline dyno pull prior to swapping converters and installing the 95mm TB and 4" intake, so I took the car to my local dyno at lunch. With no cool down time we put it straight on the rollers and made two back to back pulls. The only changes to the car since the dyno pulls on the first page of this post were to change the supercharger pulley from 3.500" to 3.375" diameter, switch from a single pump with boosted voltage to dual pumps and stock voltage, and several rounds of tuning. This is the same tune and configuration I raced it with, at the Shootout when it ran 11.1XX.

It's still rich at around 11.0:1 (dyno tailpipe wideband reads a full point lean) and it had a misfire on both pulls at around 5300 rpms (because it's too rich) and ended up pulling nearly identical numbers of 486.64 rwhp and 462.16 rwtq and dropped a few HP on the 2nd pull. So that tells me, the extra blower overdrive and 1.5 lbs of boost was a waste with the current throttle body and air intake system.

David

Attachments

• dyno 486 031111.jpg
    dyno 486 031111.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
At least you did not loose HP.. Looks to be very consistent. Did you gain anything under the curve?

No...it looks about the same except for a little more TQ and HP in the lower rpms . Hard to tell because of differint scales and mph instead of rpms on the original.

attachment.php

David

Last edited:
I don't think I would make that conclusion myself. The car is quite a ways off being tuned properly to be able to draw a comparison.

Get the data files when you do dyno runs... bring a usb drive. That will make it easier to compare to other runs.

If you really want to compare after the next change, you'll want to only tune A/F and nothing else. it sounds like DD thinks you may need something else as well.

Is this car running those new double platinum irridum plugs? What size injectors, any idea of the boost level, and what is your baseline fuel pressure setting? Did you get a data log of the QH to know what your pulse width was at that rpm?

Get the data files when you do dyno runs... bring a usb drive. That will make it easier to compare to other runs.

If you really want to compare after the next change, you'll want to only tune A/F and nothing else. it sounds like DD thinks you may need something else as well.

Is this car running those new double platinum irridum plugs? What size injectors, any idea of the boost level, and what is your baseline fuel pressure setting? Did you get a data log of the QH to know what your pulse width was at that rpm?

I didn't do any datalogging or even check the boost this time. With the 3.500 pulley it made 19 psi, when first installing the 3.375 it made 20.5 psi. Yes it does have the XP103 plugs. Base line fuel pressure is right around 40 psi.

I'm sure by doing more fine tuning we could probably get to 500 rwhp as it sits, but I don't think it's worth the effort since it's going to have to be retuned anyway when the larger TB, air pipe, MAF and air filter are installed sometime this spring.

I think it's pretty much stuck at this power level because of the blower inlet restrictions, and that theory could be easily tested by hooking up a vacuum gauge to the inlet plenum. None of this comes as a surprise, because both Dave and Charles Warner said the 85mm TB was too small for this blower and would cause an inlet restriction. I'm pretty confident there will be a big jump in power once the larger inlet parts are installed.

David

Last edited:
Back