water leaking but not from sunroof

wingzeroac195

SCCoA Member
Guys, every time it rains I get the front area of the headliner wet, including the sun visors, passenger side more than driver, even leave a small puddle of water on my floor map, now I che the drains and they are draining good, and check the drain hose and is good too, any ideas?

Check that your windshield seal isn't cracked. Take the A pillar trim off on both sides, and gently pry the top windshield trim straight up and off. search and read up on the best way to do this..
Look around. Clean, and reseal with black RTV. I had a leak on my black car, which has the original windshield, from age that was due to the sealant drying and cracking.

something people forget about...

There are drain channel's that go down both sides of the roof. these get blocked with dead leaves and other crap. when this happens the water backs up and you have a flood... simple to clean just run a small wire down both sides and see if that helps you....good luck....Rich

Guys, every time it rains I get the front area of the headliner wet, including the sun visors - I che the drains and they are draining good, and check the drain hose and is good too, any ideas?

See this thread for a look at the area involved: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?133402-Sunroof-drain-lines&highlight=moonroof+drains

If the drains are clear and the visors are wet, I'd suspect the seal on the moonroof itself and/or it isn't closing properly. Search here for sources on a new seal.

Could be the window glass adhesive gave up, but I'd expect water from it to go down, not back, unless your issue is hard rain at freeway speed ;)

Can you make it leak with a gentle flow from a garden hose on the glass and moonroof?

The drains on the rear corners are hard to check visually unless you pull the skirts, I think, but as you said, you checked them all, so...

Last edited:
Evacuatuon hose can become lose

As you can see in the pictures from the posted link above, there are four water evacuation channels. Often one or more can come lose (see the attached picture).
The previous owner of that car had taped the roof because of a leak. Could not find the leak until we took the entire liner out of the car. Two hoses had come lose causing the leak.
IMG_2746.JPG

Often one or more can come lose

Sometimes due to aggressive probing when trying to clear - be careful. If the outlet is plugged, even using compressed air can be risky. And if it seems like a good idea to come in from the outlet, think about where any gunk is going to end up...no fun trying to clean decomposed pine needles off seats/carpet :mad:

Back