Starting to drive my 95 more regularly

Kurt K

SCCoA Member
After sitting for much of the past 4 or 5 years, I started by driving on a local car cruise last fall. I followed that by driving it to the Midwest Bash and a local car show on New Years day. I drove it again today and finally grabbed a new picture for my garage page. My plan is to drive my cars more often this year, and I hope everyone else can do the same.View attachment 70442

Attachments

• 1995SC_2020_January-4e.jpg
    1995SC_2020_January-4e.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 379
Last edited:
After sitting for much of the past 4 or 5 years, I started by driving on a local car cruise last fall. I followed that by driving it to the Midwest Bash and a local car show on New Years day. I drove it again today and finally grabbed a new picture for my garage page. My plan is to drive my cars more often this year, and I hope everyone else can do the same.View attachment 70442

Looks good Kurt but you need to put some new clear headlights in it, it would make a world of difference in the look...........:rolleyes:

Looks good Kurt but you need to put some new clear headlights in it, it would make a world of difference in the look...........:rolleyes:
Yep, the headlights definitely suck! I think I have a NOS set I was saving until after a repaint, but I should probably look at getting some aftermarket lights for now.

I have been driving my five speed car a little since i got it mostly lined out. It still has a couple issues that bug me. Its hard to drive one of these things when you get spoiled by new stuff lol expecialy ones that are close to stock.

I have been driving my five speed car a little since i got it mostly lined out. It still has a couple issues that bug me. Its hard to drive one of these things when you get spoiled by new stuff lol expecialy ones that are close to stock.
Guess I'm lucky I'm not spoiled with new stuff. Our 2008 Expedition is the newest thing I own.

Guess I'm lucky I'm not spoiled with new stuff. Our 2008 Expedition is the newest thing I own.

The 2012 f150 ecoboost ruined me.. now I dd a 2016 fusion it makes it really hard to go back to 90s stuff. An sc with less than 400hp is a complete bore. I have 4 supercoupes and with the exception of my red one the f150 will run circles around all of them. The fusion out handles and out stops all of them! Even the ones with cobra brakes! And the performance is not too bad compared to a stock sc I get in an sc for two days and am ready to go back to heated seats, satellite radio and 34mpg on 87 octane. . The five speed car is fun to drive but needs about 100 more rwhp to keep my interest. No doubt I enjoy driving them! I just find myself going back to the newer stuff really quickly. I even sold our cobra it got to where we never drove it becuase it sucked in so many ways compared to the newer vehicles. This is why I refuse to test drive a new mustang gt I'd be having a supercoupe fire sale and buying one if I did

Last edited:
That’s great Kurt. I don’t have that option, when I drive the toys it’s for a purpose and it has to be a weekend or a holiday and those are few. The next problem is what local events to drive to, and what car to take. Most events are early on the am and it takes too much cleaning and prep time to make them. Recently took out the mighty blue car and all that does is remind me of the things I want to do to get it to my satisfaction. And before getting to that I start a new mod or a project. Sometimes it’s effective to upgrade while replacing a component that needs to be removed to get to another. For example I had to fix my slave cylinder and that gave way to upgrading the exhaust. But in essence I fixed one problem and created a new incomplete task to add to the already existing list. Anyways it’s back in the garage till I have more time and money to do some of the items.

But this year should be a good one to drive my car.

Last edited:
Last 2 years I've been just enjoying occasional trips with the family to get ice cream etc, and local car meets with mine. Getting the nods and compliments for people that remember the Thunderbird of the era and have not seen one in quite sometime. Its at the point where it needs a few things done to appease what I want, but the days of seeking every little extra HP out of the V6 are gone. Enjoy the drive of the car for what it is, and not a direct competitor to today's modern platform sports cars.

Over the past couple years I've been working towards making my 91 SC a more enjoyable car to drive, even if it means the car will be slower at the track. So far it's gotten a much tighter torque converter, upgrades to brakes and a smaller quieter exhaust system. Next up is the reinstall of AC system which will include replacing the MP FMIC and SC Griffin radiator with a full width Griffin radiator, larger cooling fan, larger FMIC and a few other things. Also replacing all the braided steel rubber fuel lines with something that will hold up to ethanol. Even with everything completed it will still feel old and slow compared to the other car in my garage.

David

Over the past couple years I've been working towards making my 91 SC a more enjoyable car to drive, even if it means the car will be slower at the track. So far it's gotten a much tighter torque converter, upgrades to brakes and a smaller quieter exhaust system. Next up is the reinstall of AC system which will include replacing the MP FMIC and SC Griffin radiator with a full width Griffin radiator, larger cooling fan, larger FMIC and a few other things. Also replacing all the braided steel rubber fuel lines with something that will hold up to ethanol. Even with everything completed it will still feel old and slow compared to the other car in my garage.

David

Ive been the same for a few years now, the white SC has had the suspension completely redone, its tight and fun to drive at its current power level....no where near the fastest thing on the street but it’s enjoyable. I drive the pretty much stock blue SC year round, including winter, and that’s also a nice change from my usual winter beaters.

Attachments

• FA6E23BC-E9D9-421D-B445-CE81ABAD8C1B.jpeg
    FA6E23BC-E9D9-421D-B445-CE81ABAD8C1B.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 301
  • 1AF7FECB-0F27-47D1-BA20-61278D534781.jpeg
    1AF7FECB-0F27-47D1-BA20-61278D534781.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 282
Last edited:

Looks good, no sense in having them sit and not drive em

95 sc auto

Looks good, no sense in having them sit and not drive em

My 95 has sat for at least 17 years safe in the garage. Very tough to find the initiative to work on. All it needed was motor mounts in 2002 but now is will need a bunch more. I drive a 16 scat pack daily so you should understand my reluctance to find the time.

Last big outing was Carlisle back in 2001 I think.

It's also my New Year's resolution to drive Kurt's SC's more often. Thanks Kurt. I'm looking forward to racking up a lot of miles on your SC's.

I still drive either the Buick, C10, or Coug at least a few times a week. Life is too short to leave them sit in the garage.

Gratuitous shot of the Coug covered in salt dust out in 19-degree weather this evening.

Attachments

• dark 1.JPG
    dark 1.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 223
Last 2 years I've been just enjoying occasional trips with the family to get ice cream etc, and local car meets with mine. Getting the nods and compliments for people that remember the Thunderbird of the era and have not seen one in quite sometime. Its at the point where it needs a few things done to appease what I want, but the days of seeking every little extra HP out of the V6 are gone. Enjoy the drive of the car for what it is, and not a direct competitor to today's modern platform sports cars.

I take mine to work once a week when there isn't work I'm doing to it, when I went out for my lunch break recently I had a guy shout at me "nice Thunderbird." Felt pretty nice for someone to recognize it.

Hoping to drive mine much more later this year. It's been at my brother-in-law's garage getting some much needed "small" things done over the winter months. Should be able to go pick it up in the next few weeks. I typically don't drive it more than 750-1000 miles per year.

Hello everyone, I hope everyone is staying safe and unboard lol. I'm having my original SC wheels powder coated and hoping I'll pick them up acouple hrs. ago today haha.

There is definitely a nice and fun feeling when driving Supercoupes! I have and am sure most here have drivin plenty of faster cars. I have a 5 speed SC now which I really like driving even if it is under 1000 miles a year. Last fast manual balls to the wall cars I drove was acouple different new Hellcats while I was working for Dodge. Those things can get pretty scary when your driving them hard around the block or even freeway driving lmao.
And speaking of I'd rather keep a 710+ horsepower Supercoupe then most 710+ cars.
Someday I'll be reaching out to a few of you Supercoupe experts on how to make monster horsepower like that on mine....thumbs up!
Supercoupes are pretty cool with that electric response zip feel.

Last edited:
Back