A/C System rebuild

64th-35th

Is there a better A/C compressor / condenser than the stock unit for my 35th ( original owner ) ? After fixing all the engine bay hose leaks.*&^$%@!!... I decided that that wasn't enough pain , so I pulled the dash at 61yrs. old ( fun ) to replace the leaking heater coil and A/C evaporator , lines , dryer , A/C condenser , seals . If a crossflow condenser is better , will it fit and connect to stock A/C lines? After reading thru the A/C posts here , is there any tips on rebuilding The A/C system I need to know ? Will be taking car to the shop for its A/C charge .

My thoughts are, the original component's are capable of cooling the car very well.
If your anni edition is stock in appearance , since you are the original owner, I'd try to
maintain that & not change stuff,just my opinion though.

If you do change the compressor &/or condenser the connections will likely be a different
style or in a different location, so you'd have to redo the hose's you just did.

My thoughts are, the original component's are capable of cooling the car very well.
If your anni edition is stock in appearance , since you are the original owner, I'd try to
maintain that & not change stuff,just my opinion though.

If you do change the compressor &/or condenser the connections will likely be a different
style or in a different location, so you'd have to redo the hose's you just did.
Yes all stock , but if the HP stuff is a vast improvement , I was giving it a thought. After driving the car new with R-12 vs 134 10 years later, 134 didn't cool as well , hopefully with all new stock components the 134 will cool better.

Is there a better A/C compressor / condenser than the stock unit for my 35th ( original owner ) ? After fixing all the engine bay hose leaks.*&^$%@!!... I decided that that wasn't enough pain , so I pulled the dash at 61yrs. old ( fun ) to replace the leaking heater coil and A/C evaporator , lines , dryer , A/C condenser , seals . If a crossflow condenser is better , will it fit and connect to stock A/C lines? After reading thru the A/C posts here , is there any tips on rebuilding The A/C system I need to know ? Will be taking car to the shop for its A/C charge .
My 35th came same w/R12, converted to 134 prior to my ownership. Cooling was acceptable, but over time I replaced the compressor & clutch and condenser.

New compressor was OE spec, but the condenser was part of a group thing here years ago that involved removing the OE full width unit and installing a modern parallel flow condenser that was a bit narrower in order to unblock the air coming into the intercooler. As a data point, I run an aftermarket aluminum radiator, stock fan. Supposedly parallel flow is an improvement, and since 134 is a negative we can't avoid, I consider the combination a wash what puts my Anny somewhere near to when it left the factory.

It's all relative, but last time I checked, I was getting 45° out the center vents when it was 85° ~ 90° out, here in Oregon. Biggest issue is the black Anny heat soaking the interior on hot days, but w/generous window tint, it's not a losing battle.

I would think that while using new components would improve things, the system in general will perform better, but 134's performance shouldn't change out right.

Be sure all of the foam and cardboard around the radiator is in place, and that the chin spoiler on the nose and the skirt at the bottom of the radiator, in front of the crossbar are in place. Keep in mind too that if the car is lowered, air flow into the radiator/engine bay needs all the help it can get.

Just finished installing all new components in my A/C system , 2 questions , Compressor came prefilled with correct oil , does my crossflow condenser need oil too ? Does my low pressure line coming from condenser have an orifice tube built in it ? It has the factory crimp in it and you can hardly blow air thru it. 1990 s/c . Compressor came with an orifice tube and dryer. Low pressure line came separate , the orifice tube from the compressor doesn't fit in the low pressure line without cutting the plastic stop tabs on the orifice off.

Back