Resonator alternative

DannyS

I’ve heard these are really restrictive and wanted to know what the best muffler would be to put in it in place of the resonator , I was thinking a cherry bomb/glass pack but wasn’t too sure , I just want a clean little sound no fart can , anyone have any recommendation of that or what mufflers in the rear too ?

Cherry bombs'/g'packs are almost sure to create drone. Outside of no cats, I run stock exhaust, 7% pulley, and don't worry about the sound.

You're not going to get much of a rumble out of the SC's V6, if that's what you're after.

As for restriction, keep in mind the pass. side manifold on '89~'93 SCs is a proven bad actor. If you want to spend money on exhaust, run larger dia., true duals, then shop mufflers. You may have to change fuel tanks towards that end, tho.

Cherry bombs'/g'packs are almost sure to create drone. Outside of no cats, I run stock exhaust, 7% pulley, and don't worry about the sound.

You're not going to get much of a rumble out of the SC's V6, if that's what you're after.

As for restriction, keep in mind the pass. side manifold on '89~'93 SCs is a proven bad actor. If you want to spend money on exhaust, run larger dia., true duals, then shop mufflers. You may have to change fuel tanks towards that end, tho.
I’m not really after sound , I’d just like to free up the resonator , but I meant to say if it were to make noise I’d like something subtle and clean not ricey , what if I just put a straight section of pipe in place of the resonator and keep everything else untouched like the rear mufflers , I doubt it’ll cause too much drone or any absurd noise at all right ?

>put a straight section of pipe in place of the resonator
You could 'test-pipe' it and find out, but if it was that simple, it would be a common mod on it's own - most times the resonator is replaced with aftermarket, such as Magneflow _and_ done in concert with other/major changes to the exhaust system.

It's the 'simple' changes that usually result in drone, I think ;)

You could 'test-pipe' it and find out, but if it was that simple, it would be a common mod on it's own - most times the resonator is replaced with aftermarket, such as Magneflow _and_ done in concert with other/major changes to the exhaust system.

It's the 'simple' changes that usually result in drone, I think ;)
Gotcha, so what I’m getting out of this is pretty much if I’m going to replace resonator it’s most common to change up the whole exhaust system while at it

It all depends on your goals - I'm implying to be smart about it, that way you don't chase your tail/waste money etc. I don't see simply replacing/removing just the resonator for whatever reason a goal unto itself.

Do your homework, outline your goal(s), make a budget, make a (flexible)plan, then pull the trigger.

Mod'ing an SC beyond a pulley or an intake is a slippery slope. One change leads to another, then another etc. etc.. You might want to form an overall goal that includes free'r flowing exhaust, then perhaps do exhaust first.

With better flowing exhaust, you will loose boost on the guage (boost is just a measure of backpressure). This gives an opportunity to make changes to recover/improve on that number via other changes, wash/rinse/repeat.

It all depends on your goals - I'm implying to be smart about it, that way you don't chase your tail/waste money etc. I don't see simply replacing/removing just the resonator for whatever reason a goal unto itself.

Do your homework, outline your goal(s), make a budget, make a (flexible)plan, then pull the trigger.

Mod'ing an SC beyond a pulley or an intake is a slippery slope. One change leads to another, then another etc. etc.. You might want to form an overall goal that includes free'r flowing exhaust, then perhaps do exhaust first.

With better flowing exhaust, you will loose boost on the guage (boost is just a measure of backpressure). This gives an opportunity to make changes to recover/improve on that number via other changes, wash/rinse/repeat.
Thank you , I’ll do that because you are right , I have no plan right now . I appreciate it sir

I put a 36" resonator on my black 90 sc as a resonator and it made it sound aweful.

I have in recent times used the vibrant ultra quiet resonators and they IMO one of the greatest automotive pieces ever manufactured. I've never put one on any of my supercoupes but on my harley truck I was able to remove 6 of the 8 mufflers I had on there with the sounds being acceptable.

It's not raspi or farty sounding. However its a full true duals exhaust with kooks headers so I'm not sure how true of a baseline it is compared to just replacing the stock res.

I do not have a video dedicated to the exhaust note. But you can hear it on some of my latest YouTube videos while driving or doing a burnout.

-Tim

It's not raspi or farty sounding. However its a full true duals exhaust with kooks headers so I'm not sure how true of a baseline it is compared to just replacing the stock res.

I do not have a video dedicated to the exhaust note. But you can hear it on some of my latest YouTube videos while driving or doing a burnout.

-Tim
do you have a link to your channel ? Yeah just changing the resonator probably won't do much, I'm thinking of just saving up a good bit to buy the SCP true dual catback exhaust instead of just changing little things bit by bit , mine as well save up for a bit and do the entire exhaust all at once

Glasspacks kill the drone on any SC exhaust just add two close to the engine...and zero. Restriction... Ideally 2 glasspacks and an x pipe! Then. Whatever rear mufflers ... 05/10 mustang gt stock mufflers are Almost zero restriction and are zero drone..also almost zero cost everyone takes them off I've been running them for years they sound great

Glasspacks kill the drone on any SC exhaust just add two close to the engine...and zero. Restriction... Ideally 2 glasspacks and an x pipe! Then. Whatever rear mufflers ... 05/10 mustang gt stock mufflers are Almost zero restriction and are zero drone..also almost zero cost everyone takes them off I've been running them for years they sound great
I got a x-pipe resonator delete with 07 gt mufflers, and I agree they do sound good.

Back