UHMW IRS Sub-Frame Mount Kits

OK, I think I can do this.

Interesting day. :cool:

Didn't break anything. :)

The sub-frame bolts came out, fairly easily, with a breaker bar. The front and rear bolts are the same.

There is a 70 degree taper on the bushings and in the sub-frame. My bushings are all still in pretty good shape. All the captured nuts in my frame are rust free and still green. :D

I believe that I have a design figured out, I'm just going to think about it a bit more. ;)

I'll make another post a little later this evening.

Attachments

• HPIM1221s.JPG
    HPIM1221s.JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 503
  • HPIM1223s.JPG
    HPIM1223s.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 455
  • HPIM1224s.JPG
    HPIM1224s.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 510
  • HPIM1229s.JPG
    HPIM1229s.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
I've completed my initial design.

I'll be using 1 1/2" diameter 6061-T6 aluminum sleeves, 3.2" for the front and 3" for the rear. I'll have them Mil Spec hardcoated to protect against corrosion.

Each position will require both an upper and a lower 4" diameter UHMW bushing.

The stock steel lower mounting plates will be reused.

I'll have to buy about $200 of tooling to make these.

Material costs are estimated at $75.

I estimate that it will take me more than one, but less than two full days to make a complete set.

Bolts will not be included. My reasoning for this is that some, myself included, would be willing to pay the premium for the Ford bolts (assuming that they are still available, I'm checking that), while others would prefer a less expensive generic bolt. Also, depending upon the condition of yours, new bolts may not be required.

Initial pricing will be $400 shipped (lower 48).

I'll offer a discount of $50 for early adopters who prepay in full between now and March 31, 2010.

The first sets should be ready to ship within 3-4 weeks (turnaround time on the hardcoating is 7-10 days).

Who wants a set?

Last edited:
Can someone tell me what the "SPECIAL TOOL" is for?

I see the regular bolts that need to be unscrewed but what do you need the special tool for?

Can someone tell me what the "SPECIAL TOOL" is for?

I see the regular bolts that need to be unscrewed but what do you need the special tool for?

To actually pull the bushings out of the sub-frame.

Here's a picture.

Attachments

• FI0118.jpg
    FI0118.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 408
  • FI0119.jpg
    FI0119.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
The Special Tool in action. :cool:

WOW, Thumbnails are back! :D

Attachments

• HPIM1241s.JPG
    HPIM1241s.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 415
  • HPIM1236s.JPG
    HPIM1236s.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 433
  • HPIM1230s.JPG
    HPIM1230s.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 484
  • HPIM1231s.JPG
    HPIM1231s.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 547
Interesting day. :cool:

Didn't break anything. :)

The sub-frame bolts came out, fairly easily, with a breaker bar. The front and rear bolts are the same.

There is a 20 degree taper on the bushings and in the sub-frame. My bushings are all still in pretty good shape. All the captured nuts in my frame are rust free and still green. :D

I believe that I have a design figured out, I'm just going to think about it a bit more. ;)

I'll make another post a little later this evening.

Do you plan on doing any welding to your subframe? Ive seen a few weld them up and add some support metal here and there

This is a great new product and I am very interested. However, I have other fish to fry at present. (No Lent pun intended.) If and when I get my other car issues straightened out, there is a good chance that I will purchase a set of these.

Thanks for coming out with all these parts for the club. It's great to see someone with the required capabilities take enough interest to get tthe ball rolling for everyone.

Do you plan on doing any welding to your subframe? Ive seen a few weld them up and add some support metal here and there

No, and I don't see any reason to, none of the original welds appear to be flexing.

If I had 500+ RWHP, I might feel differently. ;)

Last edited:
Material and tooling has been ordered. :)

Stay tuned for updates. :cool:

Don't forget that the early adopter discount ends March 31st. ;)

FWIW, I decided to check with ARP to see if they had any Stainless 300 bolts in this size.

The good news is that they're are starting to make 12mm bolts. :)

The bad news is that the longest they're making is 100mm. :(

The "Special Tool" is used both for removing the stock bushings and also to install them. BTDT. I found a complete set of the OEM bushing for the 95 resto. Have a sandblasted, repainted sub-frame ready to go with the replacement bushings installed.

Here are some renderings of the bushing designs.

The first two pics are of the upper, the second two are of the lower.

Attachments

• UpperMount_1.jpg
    UpperMount_1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 362
  • UpperMount_2.jpg
    UpperMount_2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 355
  • LowerMount_1.jpg
    LowerMount_1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 368
  • LowerMount_2.jpg
    LowerMount_2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
Apparently, my earlier renderings confused some people.

Here are two more oriented as they will be when installed.

------Upper-----------Lower

Attachments

• Revised Upper.jpg
    Revised Upper.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 328
  • lower.jpg
    lower.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
I received the aluminum bar stock for the spacers today, so the machining starts tomorrow. :)

Crap! Looks like I won't get the UHMW until the 25th. :mad:

Last edited:
Machining the sleeves. Takes about 1/2 hour each to get them to this stage, and the diameters still need to be turned. Got another 8 to go in this batch, then they're off to be anodized. :)

Attachments

• HPIM1255s.JPG
    HPIM1255s.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 451
  • HPIM1257s.JPG
    HPIM1257s.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Looks great! I hope to be able to purchase a full set of your products sometime this summer!

Thomas

Back