AMW PCV Oil Separator (CLOSED)

I did not even realize that you still had your AC Kurt! Dave teases me for it. I'm aiming to place it some place near or on the passenger side firewall. Might even see if I could fab a bracket and attach it to a exhaust manifold stud.

I did not even realize that you still had your AC Kurt! Dave teases me for it. I'm aiming to place it some place near or on the passenger side firewall. Might even see if I could fab a bracket and attach it to a exhaust manifold stud.
Not only do I still have AC, but I can use it when it's over 90°F (unlike many MP fmic owners).

Normally, I'd just have you make 2 of these David. But I'm not ditching my AC to mount this. That said, I currently have no idea where I plan to mount it.

An idea bubbling in my head would be a plate like David is showing, but include some longer bolts to mount the A/C compressor, some spacers offs to push the plate out so it clears the compressor pulley. Then make the plate longer so it sticks out past the compressor pulley. Bolt the thing to that plate then just ahead of the compressor pulley.

Just throwing it against the wall. I can't check under a hood yet to see how viable that is.
spacer_dimensions5.jpg

I may be wrong but I thought the idea was to mount it as low as was possible so that any oil blown out flows into it easily but has to climb back out.

Normally, I'd just have you make 2 of these David. But I'm not ditching my AC to mount this. That said, I currently have no idea where I plan to mount it.

I don't blame you...If my AC would actually have worked without overheating the motor in 90 degeee temps, I'd still have it too.

David

If anyone else intends to mount their Oil Seperator where the AC compressor was mounted, here is a sketch of an adaptor plate I'm making to mount mine. The holes for attaching the seperator are not shown, and will be hand drilled later.

AC%20mount%20adaptor%20plate.jpg

David
Thanks David for the sketch!

Got it mounted tonight. The plate worked fine as drawn except I drilled the 4 mounting holes out to 3/8" to make getting the bolts in a little easier. It was also necessary to premount the seperator to the plate before installing. Be sure to mount it high enough that the drain petcock clears the ridge in the casting. Here are a few pictures.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

David

Attachments

• IM003796.JPG
    IM003796.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 849
  • IM003797.JPG
    IM003797.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 546
  • IM003798.JPG
    IM003798.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 543
  • IM003799.JPG
    IM003799.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 547
  • IM003800.JPG
    IM003800.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:
Did you check if the tensioner pulley can swing enough of an arc with that plate there? if I recall, the compressor isn't quite flat right there and may give more room for the pulley to swing than if you just have the plate.

Did you check if the tensioner pulley can swing enough of an arc with that plate there? if I recall, the compressor isn't quite flat right there and may give more room for the pulley to swing than if you just have the plate.

Yes...that tensioner actually moves away from the accesory bracket when the belt is removed and as you can see from the pics, there is plenty of room to release tension to remove the supercharger belt.

David

An idea bubbling in my head would be a plate like David is showing, but include some longer bolts to mount the A/C compressor, some spacers offs to push the plate out so it clears the compressor pulley. Then make the plate longer so it sticks out past the compressor pulley. Bolt the thing to that plate then just ahead of the compressor pulley.

Just throwing it against the wall. I can't check under a hood yet to see how viable that is.
spacer_dimensions5.jpg

OK, I checked under my hood last night and you won't be able to mount the unit in front of the AC compressor pulley because it will interfere with the upper radiator hose.

As far as the engine compartment goes, I think the only place to mount the separator on an early model is on the passenger side fender, just in front of the coolant overflow tank. The problem with that is that there really would be no way to drain the unit in place. It would be possible to remove both vacuum lines and lift the separator out of the mounting bracket and drain it away from the car. Not sure if I really want to do that, but until I get my car on the lift to inspect other possible installation locations, this is my prefered location. If my battery was in the trunk, I imagine there would be plenty of room there.

I finally got around to installing my seperator and used David Neibert's mounting plate desin idea, Thanks David!:D I just went a step further and rounded off the (4) corners and painted the mounting plate. Pictures aren't the greatest though, sorry!

David N. or Anyone.... Has anyone actually got around to fully hooking up their hoses yet? I'm looking for some instruction on how you guys ended up routing your hoses, in otherwords, from where and to?

Attachments

• 0323101841-01.jpg
    0323101841-01.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 274
  • 0323101842-00.jpg
    0323101842-00.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 311
  • 0326101833-00.jpg
    0326101833-00.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 347
  • 0326101833-01.jpg
    0326101833-01.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 267
  • 0326101834-00.jpg
    0326101834-00.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 378
Jeff,

Remove the hose from the PCV valve to the supercharger inlet plenum. Run a hose direct off the PCV valve on the passenger side valve cover to the upper fitting on the separator, then run a hose from the lower fitting of the separator to the inlet plenum of the supercharger where the PCV used to go.

Last edited:
Should we T the vent hose from the drivers side valve cover into that line as well? If so , you can bring the vent fitting out of the valve cover into a hardware store and pickup a length of replacement flexible hose (to replace the hard one) and run it across to a T put in the line from the drivers side valve cover?

I just made a list of stuff to do with the car this spring... I forgot about installing this. oops, I may need to take a day off.

Should we T the vent hose from the drivers side valve cover into that line as well? If so , you can bring the vent fitting out of the valve cover into a hardware store and pickup a length of replacement flexible hose (to replace the hard one) and run it across to a T put in the line from the drivers side valve cover?

I just made a list of stuff to do with the car this spring... I forgot about installing this. oops, I may need to take a day off.

No....don't tee the line from the driver's side cover. That is where clean metered air goes into the engine.

David

I finally got around to installing my seperator and used David Neibert's mounting plate desin idea, Thanks David!:D I just went a step further and rounded off the (4) corners and painted the mounting plate. Pictures aren't the greatest though, sorry!

David N. or Anyone.... Has anyone actually got around to fully hooking up their hoses yet? I'm looking for some instruction on how you guys ended up routing your hoses, in otherwords, from where and to?

Jeff,

Nice Job....I plumbed it just like Ryan said in his post, except I teed in the fuel vapor canister purge line into the hose that attaches to the inlet plenum.

David

Got around to geting mine installed this weekend. Just mounted it on the MP cold air divider. Zip tied the hoses together and also zip tied them to the hard coolant line for support.

Install note is that the fittings are shipped loose. I had to add teflon tape and tighten them up.

Attachments

• DSC04856.JPG
    DSC04856.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 309
  • DSC04858.JPG
    DSC04858.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 427
Got around to geting mine installed this weekend. Just mounted it on the MP cold air divider. Zip tied the hoses together and also zip tied them to the hard coolant line for support.

Install note is that the fittings are shipped loose. I had to add teflon tape and tighten them up.

Looks good, that's where I had originally planned to mount mine.

BTW, Nice blower...does yours use the A-frame snout support ?

David

If you guys were actually man enough to keep the AC in your car, you'd know that neither the air divider or AC mount (obviously) will work.:p

Back