Air filter Collapsing

rwferguson

So I have noticed that my air filter has been collapsing. I just installed a Pro-M 92 MAF but the air filter bolts to the assembly. Even my old K&N air filter did the same thing. Is it common for the air filters to collapse on S/C? If so is there a work around or a new design to allow the motor to suck as much air as it wants/can. I’m concerned that while in WOT it’s starving for air. Only assuming at this point due to no AFR gauge in the car. Looking at logs the A/F seems to be spot on. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advanced,
Roland.

Never seen a cone filter collapse on an SC motor, even with a big aftermarket supercharger. Is filter wet or clogged, is it getting crushed by hood closing ?

This sounds odd, is it a K&N? Some are long where they easily deform from engine movement and hitting the areas where the filter is. I don’t think it’s collapsing due to a vacuum effect. I think something physical is causing it.

Never seen a cone filter collapse on an SC motor, even with a big aftermarket supercharger. Is filter wet or clogged, is it getting crushed by hood closing ?
No just cleaned it before I installed it but waited a day before I installed it. Not wet either and it sits pretty low even checked to see if possibly the hood would be causing it but it closes with more than enough clearance. Only thing I can really think of which is out there is possibly a broken motor mount but it’s only isolated to the filter area and no other marks on the intake tube or MAF housing.

This sounds odd, is it a K&N? Some are long where they easily deform from engine movement and hitting the areas where the filter is. I don’t think it’s collapsing due to a vacuum effect. I think something physical is causing it.

I had a 6” or 9” K&N filter on it before and figure it was because it was so long but the current setup has a 4” filter I’d have to double check though

I had a 6” or 9” K&N filter on it ...current setup has a 4” filter I’d have to double check though
I've gone back/forth w/both 4" & 6", with 6" on it now, including a filter sock, and I've yet to see any hint of collapse.
1639198553304.png

No, not at any speed.

Something would need to severely restrict airflow at/on the filter itself. Of course if the basic integrity of the filter has already been compromised, or maybe it it's just very poorly constructed, say with an inherently weak structure, then all bets are off.

I've seen some intensely dirty/plugged filters on differenty types of equipment, and they all held their shape. Get one really wet, and let it freeze, tho, and game over, but in those examples, the engines would let you know they couldn't breath.

No, not at any speed.

Something would need to severely restrict airflow at/on the filter itself. Of course if the basic integrity of the filter has already been compromised, or maybe it it's just very poorly constructed, say with an inherently weak structure, then all bets are off.

I've seen some intensely dirty/plugged filters on differenty types of equipment, and they all held their shape. Get one really wet, and let it freeze, tho, and game over, but in those examples, the engines would let you know they couldn't breath.
Yeah sees here’s the crazy part. Datalogs doesn’t show any restrictions MAF is flowing correctly. Just mind boggling. Here’s some pictures. Sorry it’s late here. The green light is our Christmas lights sorry everyone

Attachments

• 28002F0C-02F7-495A-8BDF-FA2E0555BDB7.jpeg
    28002F0C-02F7-495A-8BDF-FA2E0555BDB7.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 1310D9DB-472A-4E29-918A-86E3BC5424A6.jpeg
    1310D9DB-472A-4E29-918A-86E3BC5424A6.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 14
  • C564FC5A-1C8C-4EA0-A2B1-B4696A5AE04C.jpeg
    C564FC5A-1C8C-4EA0-A2B1-B4696A5AE04C.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 14
Is this a fake KN looks kit it ripped at the base, is the front hitting anything on installation? Mine doesn’t collapse. The metal cage mesh looks damaged maybe the weight of the unit makes it collapse on itself. Strange. Typically the seam where they roll ends and join has aluminum backing to support the structure further maybe pint that down next time.

Here’s some pictures.
Thanks

What I think is crazy is more than one filter has done this.

Can't see the end...did they both have full covered flat metal ends, or additional filter openings like this?
1639247385536.png

How is the MAF supported ?

I've got a pretty cheap Spectra filter on mine and haven't had it do anything like what you have going on I feel like somehow someway something damaged it or factory defects and it's causing that seems like it would be pretty difficult for the engine pulling air to cause that

See that’s what I thought. Only explanation is the car is pulling too much air that the filters can’t handle it. But even the current filter and the old K&N filter be defective? Idk just too much of a coincidence back to back and different brands/company’s. The MAF isn’t bolted to the fender. The housing for the MAF bolt patterns doesn’t match up and it would run up against a module harness. I’m so baffled. May go buy a go pro and stick it in there too see exactly what’s happening or take the hood off and see what happens. May do both. I’m pretty positive the current filter has a pretty solid ring where it connects to the MAF due to it being bolted. Now the other end I’m not too sure of. Id have to check but if memory serves me correctly it was also medal when I looked down in it but the outside was rubber. Hmm just doesn’t make any sense ‍‍

Back