Transmission seems to give out occasionally?

DannyS

When driving the car occasionally when it’s at the point where it would shift it just seems like it dies down , revs drop , car shakes , press the gas and it doesn’t move . I wait a couple seconds , the revs go back up and the trans engages , what could this be ? Auto car by the way

Have you checked trans fluid level when hot?

I'd pull codes just to see if any have been set, then I'd confirm proper TV cable adjustment, then I'd drop the pan and see how the filter and fluid checks out.

If you're lucky, it's just low on fluid.

Have you checked trans fluid level when hot?

I'd pull codes just to see if any have been set, then I'd confirm proper TV cable adjustment, then I'd drop the pan and see how the filter and fluid checks out.

If you're lucky, it's just low on fluid.
I have not checked trans fluid when hot , I will as soon as I take it for a spin . I will most definitely check for codes as I forgot to mention that the CEL turns on in that time frame of it dying down and then goes away when it returns to normal . If it’s not the TV cable adjustment or low fluid it’s most likely the Tranny right ?

Need more info before any conclusion, sorry.

Good be a poor/failing electrical connection, loss of fuel, vacuum leak, bad coil, etc. If the TV cable has come off at the throttle body, don't drive it until it is fixed - you could apparently fry the trans in short order.

Sounds more like a engine or electrcal fault if the CEL is on when it acts up, but off when its working properly.
Still a good idea to verify fluid level & that the T.V, cable hasnt came off at the throttle though. See what codes if any are stored & I think that will lead you to whats been going on.

Back