1991 Car Shop Manual (I can help)

majorpisgah

Hey guys and gals. I purchased the 1991 Car Shop Manual for Thunderbird/Cougar. Along with the specifications book and the electrical and vacuum trouble-shooting manual. If you need me to look something up, just let me know. Glad to help if I can.

Hey, I’m trying to troubleshoot my ABS (Antilock light is on) and I want to pull codes. I have the $30 Innova 3145 Ford OBDI Code reader from Autozone that looks like it could plug into the ABS port in the trunk, but I haven’t succeeded. Not sure how else I can pull codes without buying a used Ford Rotunda Super Star II ABS code reader.

Hey, I’m trying to troubleshoot my ABS (Antilock light is on) and I want to pull codes. I have the $30 Innova 3145 Ford OBDI Code reader from Autozone that looks like it could plug into the ABS port in the trunk, but I haven’t succeeded. Not sure how else I can pull codes without buying a used Ford Rotunda Super Star II ABS code reader.
Rick...let me look. Ill will get back with ya shortly. Out camping with my boys. As soon as I have the book in hand I will look. Should be this afternoon. Just some quick questions from my limited 90s thunderbird ABS experience.

#1: CAUTION. If you go pulling the sensors of the hubs please be very careful. Standard Products does not make these anymore. (unless something has changed). Use tons of PB plaster and take your time. You can reverse engineer these I believe but its a pain.

#2: A lot of the guys including 90s mustang fellas recommend cleaning the cannon plugs. The ones on the front get all clogged up being so close the the road and wheel. The connections in the back as well. They may be in the trunk so they get lots of heat and moisture back there.

#3: Are you leaking any fluid under the car. IF SO tell me where. Mine is leaking from the "splitter" I think its called.... right underneath the driver on the frame. It has a cheap plastic sensor and cannon plug. This will also make your ABS light intermittent and you will hear the system cycling while in park siting in the car while it is running.

To summarize: Rick is it staying on all the time? Does it ever go out? Do you hear a "cycling" solenoid type noise under the dash? Any leaks? I assume its a 1990 SC? Be right back.

"#3: Are you leaking any fluid under the car. IF SO tell me where. Mine is leaking from the "splitter" I think its called.... right underneath the driver on the frame. It has a cheap plastic sensor and cannon plug. This will also make your ABS light intermittent and you will hear the system cycling while in park siting in the car while it is running."

If you are talking about this part. It's a pressure sensor for the automatic ride control. I removed it and installed a high pressure plug.

Attachments

• IMG_3647(1).JPEG
    IMG_3647(1).JPEG
    139.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3657.PNG
    IMG_3657.PNG
    597 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3773(1).JPEG
    IMG_3773(1).JPEG
    96.8 KB · Views: 23
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284188019423. Ok, after some digging "I think" this is your proportioning valve for your rear brakes. Mine is leaking from that plastic cannon plug/sensor. I was lucky to snag one off ebay before they ran out. Ford part 2B091 assembly.

Attachments

• 0627221228.jpg
    0627221228.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 0627221228c.jpg
    0627221228c.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 0627221227a.jpg
    0627221227a.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 0627221240.jpg
    0627221240.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 0627221228b.jpg
    0627221228b.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 0627221230.jpg
    0627221230.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 0627221227.jpg
    0627221227.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 0627221228a.jpg
    0627221228a.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 16
So I am digging in the shop manual and the electronic troubleshooting manual and there is "limited" mention of this in the brakes section. Let me check the ride control. Whatever it is, mine is leaking. Take a look at the ABS parts location diagram and see what you think of 2b091? Also, looking at the 4th jpg and let me know what it is doing...A, B, C etc. As you see, you will need the tester as it "appears" I can't pull the codes without it.

This is why I HATE plastic parts!!! Rick sorry for the poor quality. When I get to the scanner I can get better quality.

"#3: Are you leaking any fluid under the car. IF SO tell me where. Mine is leaking from the "splitter" I think its called.... right underneath the driver on the frame. It has a cheap plastic sensor and cannon plug. This will also make your ABS light intermittent and you will hear the system cycling while in park siting in the car while it is running."

If you are talking about this part. It's a pressure sensor for the automatic ride control. I removed it and installed a high pressure plug.
David I looked in the ride control section and here is what I got. Does this proportioning valve control the ride control and the rear brakes. I am not at my car so I cannot see. Do you see another proportioning valve? Should be in the same area? Do your rear brakes work?

Attachments

• 91 brake control valve 2.JPG
    91 brake control valve 2.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 91 SC brake control valve.JPG
    91 SC brake control valve.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 10
Hello,
My Antilock light has been on ever since I got my 1990 Tbird SC in 2015. I think the previous owner said he “unplugged” the ABS. I guess he means the car could lock up its brakes, but the rest of the system works.

To your credit, you described a few problems I have had and have fixed. The ABS was ALWAYS charging and never stopped when I first got the car. The accumulator was bad but its also bad for the motor to always be charging.
So I had the whole Teves MKII ABS unit sent in and rebuilt with a new accumulator ball. The light is still on but it works.

Recently, my car leaked brake fluid really bad, it was the proportioning valve. I had the proportioning valve replaced and I’ve been driving the car with no problems. But my Antilock light is still on. I am curious why it is on and I’d like it to turn off because some actually serious problems could make the light come on. I don’t want to find out the hard way something new is wrong and without warning.

I have a friend with a 1989 Cougar SC and his Antilock light just came on too. He took it to the mechanics and they told him nothing is wrong. I’d like to help him get his Antilock light to turn off as well, but I’d need to troubleshoot codes somehow.

Thank you for your help.

Hello,
My Antilock light has been on ever since I got my 1990 Tbird SC in 2015. I think the previous owner said he “unplugged” the ABS. I guess he means the car could lock up its brakes, but the rest of the system works.

To your credit, you described a few problems I have had and have fixed. The ABS was ALWAYS charging and never stopped when I first got the car. The accumulator was bad but its also bad for the motor to always be charging.
So I had the whole Teves MKII ABS unit sent in and rebuilt with a new accumulator ball. The light is still on but it works.

Recently, my car leaked brake fluid really bad, it was the proportioning valve. I had the proportioning valve replaced and I’ve been driving the car with no problems. But my Antilock light is still on. I am curious why it is on and I’d like it to turn off because some actually serious problems could make the light come on. I don’t want to find out the hard way something new is wrong and without warning.

I have a friend with a 1989 Cougar SC and his Antilock light just came on too. He took it to the mechanics and they told him nothing is wrong. I’d like to help him get his Antilock light to turn off as well, but I’d need to troubleshoot codes somehow.

Thank you for your help.
Rick, look at the fourth JPEG with the diagnostic lamp symptom chart. Let me know which column you fall under and I can look it up. This is the best I can do without the codes.

1991 SC Antilock light just came on. I drove the car for the first time today in weeks. The weather is getting colder (at or below freezing) and I’m wondering if the cold temps could be hurting the ABS. I had brakes all day until I tried to go home then I got the Antilock light and a hard pedal. It never tries to charge, so I’m wondering if it could be a bad relay or fuse. The Accumulator ball was replaced in 2012 or 2013. One of the relays went bad 2 years ago and was replaced.
I want to know if I can use a Paperclip for the ABS plug like the Ford OBDI and count flashes. Otherwise I’m going to start checking fuses/relays.

Try swapping the DIS module with the running 1991 and make sure it’s tight enough. Just something quick that may work

Hey guys and gals. I purchased the 1991 Car Shop Manual for Thunderbird/Cougar. Along with the specifications book and the electrical and vacuum trouble-shooting manual. If you need me to look something up, just let me know. Glad to help if I can.
A good vacuum diagram for the basic engine and bypass system would be awesome

it was the proportioning valve. I had the proportioning valve replaced
Just a note, that the block shown in the drawings, found down low on the body, driver side, is where the ARC pressure sensor is mounted - on a hard stop, that sensor activates ARC 'FIRM'. It is not a 'proportioning' valve.

Just a note, that the block shown in the drawings, found down low on the body, driver side, is where the ARC pressure sensor is mounted - on a hard stop, that sensor activates ARC 'FIRM'. It is not a 'proportioning' valve.
When I was talking about the Proportioning Valve several months ago it was because my 1990 SC had the Antilock light on and I did not know how to diagnose it. But I replaced its Proportioning Valve and now it no longer leaks brake fluid; Antilock light is on but the ABS works fine. The 1990 SC is also the same car that currently cranks but cannot start. I assume it is a Crank Position sensor, but haven’t had time to troubleshoot beyond ruling out Ignition Control Module, Coil Pack, and Cam Position Sensor.

A couple days ago when I was driving home in my 1991 SC (different car) the ABS stopped charging and I had to drive slow and downshift to a stop. I checked my fuses and none of them look blown. I suspect the ABS relay could be bad, it does not even try to charge when I turn the key on. The ABS was literally working fine every time I turned the key on until I left my workshop to go home. Granted, I am in Wisconsin, the weather is just now getting cold and I barely drove the car this year. Last time I drove it was 3 weeks ago but the starter died and I just replaced the starter on Saturday.

Question:
Is there an easy way to remove or get at the ABS relays on the passenger side firewall? I unplugged a black cylinder plug and a light gray square plug. I was able to unclip one of the plugs from one of the relays but I can’t quite get my tool to hook the metal tab that holds in the relay to the bracket. I just pulled the 2 relays from my parts car but a bunch of wires and whatnot had already been pulled so I had more room on the parts car to get at the relays than on my 1991 SC.

Also:
Does anybody know how to pull ABS codes? Someone beat me by 30 minutes on FB marketplace from buying a Rotunda Star II abs code reader for a good price. I tried using my Autozone Ford OBDI code reader but it didn’t work on the ABS plug. My Antilock light just came on in the 1991 (but it actually had a problem) so maybe I can confirm that the relay is actually the problem before I break a bunch of plastic tabs.

If you have 2 S/C's as well as a parts car, It would be worth investing in the factory manual(s)
EVTM & the main book. They will answer most if not all of your questions & help you understand the systems & how
they work together, but are seperate. Brake boost/charging system vs ABS system. ARC system Vs variable assist steering, etc.

If your ABS light is on, your system should have reverted to conventional & won't work. How have you verified it is working-tried hard applications in loose sand,gravel,snow,wet surfaces & heard/felt the system activate?

I'm not aware of a seperate "proportioning" valve in this system, its all integral with the metering block on the master cylinder as far as I know.
So not sure what you replaced, unless it was that tee fitting for the ARC pressure switch.

Also:
Does anybody know how to pull ABS codes? Someone beat me by 30 minutes on FB marketplace from buying a Rotunda Star II abs code reader for a good price. I tried using my Autozone Ford OBDI code reader but it didn’t work on the ABS plug. My Antilock light just came on in the 1991 (but it actually had a problem) so maybe I can confirm that the relay is actually the problem before I break a bunch of plastic tabs.

Have you tried the code reader on your 91? From what I've read on here and from google searches you should be able to use a paper clip or an actron code reader to pull ABS codes. Unfortunately, like you, I'm having the same problem pulling codes so if you do figure out the solution, please post it here.

If you have 2 S/C's as well as a parts car, It would be worth investing in the factory manual(s)
EVTM & the main book. They will answer most if not all of your questions & help you understand the systems & how
they work together, but are seperate. Brake boost/charging system vs ABS system. ARC system Vs variable assist steering, etc.

If your ABS light is on, your system should have reverted to conventional & won't work. How have you verified it is working-tried hard applications in loose sand,gravel,snow,wet surfaces & heard/felt the system activate?

I'm not aware of a seperate "proportioning" valve in this system, its all integral with the metering block on the master cylinder as far as I know.
So not sure what you replaced, unless it was that tee fitting for the ARC pressure switch.
I have the 1990, 1991, and 1993 Thunderbird/Cougar service manuals. I haven’t read much of the manuals but when I was troubleshooting my 1990, I remember the book said to use a Rotunda Star II ABS code reader and that’s where I got stuck. If I had some way of pulling ABS codes, it would help me with my 1991 right now. I heard something about using a paperclip but don’t know which connectors to jump. I heard that SOME Ford OBDI code readers can pull ABS codes but probably not the little $30.00 one from Autozone. Unlike the normal OBDI plug under the hood, I don’t have that little grey plug to jump from, just the main plug in the trunk.

Now that you mention it, my 1990 SC, though power brakes work, it can pull harder to the right and I think I made my wheels lock up for a second when a cat ran out in front of me.

Back