1991 Car Shop Manual (I can help)

majorpisgah

SCCoA Member
Hey guys and gals. I purchased the 1991 Car Shop Manual for Thunderbird/Cougar. Along with the specifications book and the electrical and vacuum trouble-shooting manual. If you need me to look something up, just let me know. Glad to help if I can.

Rick_Leuce

Hey, I’m trying to troubleshoot my ABS (Antilock light is on) and I want to pull codes. I have the $30 Innova 3145 Ford OBDI Code reader from Autozone that looks like it could plug into the ABS port in the trunk, but I haven’t succeeded. Not sure how else I can pull codes without buying a used Ford Rotunda Super Star II ABS code reader.

majorpisgah

SCCoA Member
Hey, I’m trying to troubleshoot my ABS (Antilock light is on) and I want to pull codes. I have the $30 Innova 3145 Ford OBDI Code reader from Autozone that looks like it could plug into the ABS port in the trunk, but I haven’t succeeded. Not sure how else I can pull codes without buying a used Ford Rotunda Super Star II ABS code reader.
Rick...let me look. Ill will get back with ya shortly. Out camping with my boys. As soon as I have the book in hand I will look. Should be this afternoon. Just some quick questions from my limited 90s thunderbird ABS experience.

#1: CAUTION. If you go pulling the sensors of the hubs please be very careful. Standard Products does not make these anymore. (unless something has changed). Use tons of PB plaster and take your time. You can reverse engineer these I believe but its a pain.

#2: A lot of the guys including 90s mustang fellas recommend cleaning the cannon plugs. The ones on the front get all clogged up being so close the the road and wheel. The connections in the back as well. They may be in the trunk so they get lots of heat and moisture back there.

#3: Are you leaking any fluid under the car. IF SO tell me where. Mine is leaking from the "splitter" I think its called.... right underneath the driver on the frame. It has a cheap plastic sensor and cannon plug. This will also make your ABS light intermittent and you will hear the system cycling while in park siting in the car while it is running.

To summarize: Rick is it staying on all the time? Does it ever go out? Do you hear a "cycling" solenoid type noise under the dash? Any leaks? I assume its a 1990 SC? Be right back.

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
"#3: Are you leaking any fluid under the car. IF SO tell me where. Mine is leaking from the "splitter" I think its called.... right underneath the driver on the frame. It has a cheap plastic sensor and cannon plug. This will also make your ABS light intermittent and you will hear the system cycling while in park siting in the car while it is running."

If you are talking about this part. It's a pressure sensor for the automatic ride control. I removed it and installed a high pressure plug.

Attachments

• IMG_3647(1).JPEG
    IMG_3647(1).JPEG
    139.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3657.PNG
    IMG_3657.PNG
    597 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3773(1).JPEG
    IMG_3773(1).JPEG
    96.8 KB · Views: 10

majorpisgah

SCCoA Member
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284188019423. Ok, after some digging "I think" this is your proportioning valve for your rear brakes. Mine is leaking from that plastic cannon plug/sensor. I was lucky to snag one off ebay before they ran out. Ford part 2B091 assembly.

Attachments

• 0627221228.jpg
    0627221228.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 0627221228c.jpg
    0627221228c.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 0627221227a.jpg
    0627221227a.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 0627221240.jpg
    0627221240.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 0627221228b.jpg
    0627221228b.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 0627221230.jpg
    0627221230.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 0627221227.jpg
    0627221227.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 0627221228a.jpg
    0627221228a.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 3

majorpisgah

SCCoA Member
So I am digging in the shop manual and the electronic troubleshooting manual and there is "limited" mention of this in the brakes section. Let me check the ride control. Whatever it is, mine is leaking. Take a look at the ABS parts location diagram and see what you think of 2b091? Also, looking at the 4th jpg and let me know what it is doing...A, B, C etc. As you see, you will need the tester as it "appears" I can't pull the codes without it.

majorpisgah

SCCoA Member
This is why I HATE plastic parts!!! Rick sorry for the poor quality. When I get to the scanner I can get better quality.

majorpisgah

SCCoA Member
"#3: Are you leaking any fluid under the car. IF SO tell me where. Mine is leaking from the "splitter" I think its called.... right underneath the driver on the frame. It has a cheap plastic sensor and cannon plug. This will also make your ABS light intermittent and you will hear the system cycling while in park siting in the car while it is running."

If you are talking about this part. It's a pressure sensor for the automatic ride control. I removed it and installed a high pressure plug.
David I looked in the ride control section and here is what I got. Does this proportioning valve control the ride control and the rear brakes. I am not at my car so I cannot see. Do you see another proportioning valve? Should be in the same area? Do your rear brakes work?

Attachments

• 91 brake control valve 2.JPG
    91 brake control valve 2.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 91 SC brake control valve.JPG
    91 SC brake control valve.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 5

Rick_Leuce

Hello,
My Antilock light has been on ever since I got my 1990 Tbird SC in 2015. I think the previous owner said he “unplugged” the ABS. I guess he means the car could lock up its brakes, but the rest of the system works.

To your credit, you described a few problems I have had and have fixed. The ABS was ALWAYS charging and never stopped when I first got the car. The accumulator was bad but its also bad for the motor to always be charging.
So I had the whole Teves MKII ABS unit sent in and rebuilt with a new accumulator ball. The light is still on but it works.

Recently, my car leaked brake fluid really bad, it was the proportioning valve. I had the proportioning valve replaced and I’ve been driving the car with no problems. But my Antilock light is still on. I am curious why it is on and I’d like it to turn off because some actually serious problems could make the light come on. I don’t want to find out the hard way something new is wrong and without warning.

I have a friend with a 1989 Cougar SC and his Antilock light just came on too. He took it to the mechanics and they told him nothing is wrong. I’d like to help him get his Antilock light to turn off as well, but I’d need to troubleshoot codes somehow.

Thank you for your help.

majorpisgah

SCCoA Member
Hello,
My Antilock light has been on ever since I got my 1990 Tbird SC in 2015. I think the previous owner said he “unplugged” the ABS. I guess he means the car could lock up its brakes, but the rest of the system works.

To your credit, you described a few problems I have had and have fixed. The ABS was ALWAYS charging and never stopped when I first got the car. The accumulator was bad but its also bad for the motor to always be charging.
So I had the whole Teves MKII ABS unit sent in and rebuilt with a new accumulator ball. The light is still on but it works.

Recently, my car leaked brake fluid really bad, it was the proportioning valve. I had the proportioning valve replaced and I’ve been driving the car with no problems. But my Antilock light is still on. I am curious why it is on and I’d like it to turn off because some actually serious problems could make the light come on. I don’t want to find out the hard way something new is wrong and without warning.

I have a friend with a 1989 Cougar SC and his Antilock light just came on too. He took it to the mechanics and they told him nothing is wrong. I’d like to help him get his Antilock light to turn off as well, but I’d need to troubleshoot codes somehow.

Thank you for your help.
Rick, look at the fourth JPEG with the diagnostic lamp symptom chart. Let me know which column you fall under and I can look it up. This is the best I can do without the codes.