2010 Fall Club Clash Roll Call

pablon2

SCCoA Member
So, who all is going? I'm heading down Saturday morning. Are there any activities planned outside of the Clash as in years past?

Mike8675309

I'll be down on Sunday morning with some kind of car. Not sure what yet. Could be a dodge durango, or a mazda 3 (zoom...zoom).

Sxar

I plan on being there. Only one car though as I have been on partial layoff. :(

I need to check hotels and see what the prices are, then decide if I come down Saturday or Sunday.

pablon2

SCCoA Member
I plan on being there. Only one car though as I have been on partial layoff. :(

I need to check hotels and see what the prices are, then decide if I come down Saturday or Sunday.

Todd and I will be staying Sat at the Super 8 in Dyersville (12 miles East of Earlville on US 20.)

kenewagner

I would love to come but the shootout kind of left my car in need of repairs. I will be there in the spring for sure

Ken

BirdofPrey97

Waiting for the clutch master cylinder to show up and hopefully that will take care of my clip breaking issue at least long enough to drive the car up there and race.

Now, to find Mike's info on bench bleeding that thing.

Anyone have an extra coil pack they can bring along? I want to do some comparisons.

Last edited:

Mike8675309

If I can find one laying around and remember to bring it I will. I think I have one I pulled off a pick-a-part car place. Just not sure of the location right now.

275hptbirdsc

Waiting for the clutch master cylinder to show up and hopefully that will take care of my clip breaking issue at least long enough to drive the car up there and race.

Now, to find Mike's info on bench bleeding that thing.

Anyone have an extra coil pack they can bring along? I want to do some comparisons.

Id like to come but I cant get my locking lug nut off on a flat tire! But if I somehow manage to get it off ill be there and ill make sure to bring a coil pack with me just incase Mike doesnt

Mike8675309

Id like to come but I cant get my locking lug nut off on a flat tire! But if I somehow manage to get it off ill be there and ill make sure to bring a coil pack with me just incase Mike doesnt

find someone with a wire feed an weld a nut onto the lugnut. then turn it off.

Alternatively you can use a air chisel to crack the nut and get it off. And finally, any decent tire shop will have a special socket for their air impacts designed to cut into a locking lug nut and spin it off.

Don't let something like that keep you away.

BirdofPrey97

My error reader is telling me that the coil pack is misfiring. Under WOT there isn't an issue, but around 2,000 rpm it is cutting out for about a second or two and then works just fine. Very strange. Code is saying coil pack, so wanted to swap it out and see if it continues.

Had to take tomorrow afternoon off of work to get the SC up and going for this. :D

Mike8675309

Got the lug nut off today! Is the price still $40 even if you dont plan on racing?

I think racers are $30 or $35. Pit Pass is $10. But I think I'd plan on racing. I'ts just bracket so you can just take it easy going down the line. We can always use more cars. I'm gonna probably run the 90 as I found that the trans only leaks if I park with the nose facing up on a 20 degree incline. I'll fill it up just enough, and take her easy off the line.

275hptbirdsc

I think racers are $30 or $35. Pit Pass is $10. But I think I'd plan on racing. I'ts just bracket so you can just take it easy going down the line. We can always use more cars. I'm gonna probably run the 90 as I found that the trans only leaks if I park with the nose facing up on a 20 degree incline. I'll fill it up just enough, and take her easy off the line.

Id race but I dont see the fun in racing a bone stock car ive babied since ive had it:D

Mike8675309

Id race but I dont see the fun in racing a bone stock car ive babied since ive had it:D

You can still baby it. This is bracket racing, not heads up racing. with bracket racing, at its most basic, you take your car and do 2 or more trial runs down the track where you set your pace and try to establish a behavior with you the driver and the car that is repeatable.

Based on those trial runs, you guess at how fast your car will actually go during eliminations. You write that time (dial) on your car, and you line up against another person that did the same thing. The track computer than lets each car go at a different time based on the difference between your numbers. Thus allowing it to be the first car across the finish line should be the winner.

Where the challenge comes in is with driver behavior and car performance changes over time. I.e. if your light turns green, and you start moving .2 seconds later and run your dial time exactly, and your competitor starts moving .05 seconds after the light turns green and runs his dial time exactly, he will win.

So it comes down to driver reaction time and repeatable performance. I believe the last fall event a car dialing a 17 second quarter mile time (in a LX) took 2nd place and the pool money.

For some it is about pushing their car to the limit. For others it is about being a competitive driver. Some it's both. I'll be bringing my essentially stock car and babying it, not beating on it.

This is a great event to match your wits against another driver more than matching cars. And for those that want to go heads up, there is tons of time for grudge matches and all out full blast racing.

forcfed93

If you can drive to CR on Saturday, I'll get it off ... It may not be usuable, but I'll get it off!!!

Last edited:

forcfed93

Nevermind, I just read that you got it removed. :eek:

So anyway, we are still going to be puttering around the shop on Saturday if you fell like a roadtrip!!!

pablon2

SCCoA Member
Is someone going to bring a 1/2" torque wrench to the clash? I would bring my Napa one, but don't want it walking away since I won't have a way to lock it up and it sure as heck wouldn't be going down the track in my car.

I expect to be in Dyersville by 4pm Sat.