2018 SC Shootout Shuffle?

BLOWN38

SCCoA Member
You had to toss the QH and start from scratch as if you had never had one?

You just need to pull the QH out and send it back to moates to have them upgrade it to the replacable battery. And while you are at it just get a regular chip, install your tune and not have to worry about batt dying.

DrFishbone

SCCoA Member
I went out to work on the car last night...battery was drained and wouldn't start. :mad: It had sat for over 3weeks and was fine....then it sits for 2.85 days and it won't start. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So...I spent all the time I had trying to find some parts in the shed....I was trapped in the shed for 10-15minutes too (it's packed). *sigh*

Trying again tonight.

nickleman60

You just need to pull the QH out and send it back to moates to have them upgrade it to the replacable battery. And while you are at it just get a regular chip, install your tune and not have to worry about batt dying.

I sent Moates my old style chip back on a Tuesday and received the new style one free of charge on Thursday, 2 days later. Stand up company who backs their product 110%..................:D

Ira R.

An extra chip? or do you mean replace the old one with one that doesn't need a battery? And if that is the case why do we need the battery in the first place?

I guess I will call Moats tomorrow and see what's involved. Thanks guys. Meanwhile, I hope this will solve the problem. The battery may be dying but that doesn't necessarily explain what's going wrong here.

ricardoa1

An extra chip? or do you mean replace the old one with one that doesn't need a battery? And if that is the case why do we need the battery in the first place?

I guess I will call Moats tomorrow and see what's involved. Thanks guys. Meanwhile, I hope this will solve the problem. The battery may be dying but that doesn't necessarily explain what's going wrong here.

Ira what the crew is saying is that the QH chip requires a quarter sized battery. And some of the early ones had the battery soldered on permanently. The new ones are removable. Without the battery the memory gets erased and you have a ghost tune in the car. The fix is replacing the battery it sending the older units in for the new ones. At which point you need to reload the tune. The alternative is use a chip that has static memory like the sct chips are. And use the quarter horse when tuning and data logging.

Pat DiPersia

SCCoA Admin
If I don't get the SC inspected ASAP, I'm definitely not bringing it. Nothing wrong with (I hope - haven't driven it in months.) Talk about procrastinating.

Ira R.

Ira what the crew is saying is that the QH chip requires a quarter sized battery. And some of the early ones had the battery soldered on permanently. The new ones are removable. Without the battery the memory gets erased and you have a ghost tune in the car. The fix is replacing the battery it sending the older units in for the new ones. At which point you need to reload the tune. The alternative is use a chip that has static memory like the sct chips are. And use the quarter horse when tuning and data logging.

Thanks Ricardo. So just replace the old chip with the new and worry about the battery in the new one later. I don't want to have to mess with switching chips every time I need to do something to the car. Got it.

Meanwhile, I haven't had time to get to the car all week, so tomorrow morning I grab the laptop and see if the car starts right up and performs as it should. If so, and the datalog looks okay too I will get a hold of MOATS and take care of this once and for all. One can only hope this is the problem.

Last edited:

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
Thanks Ricardo. So just replace the old chip with the new and worry about the battery in the new one later. I don't want to have to mess with switching chips every time I need to do something to the car. Got it.

Meanwhile, I haven't had time to get to the car all week, so tomorrow morning I grab the laptop and see if the car starts right up and performs as it should. If so, and the datalog looks okay too I will get a hold of MOATS and take care of this once and for all. One can only hope this is the problem.

Usually if the chip is the problem. Key in ignition turned forward (like you would to just listen to the radio) results in the fan turning on, which we all know isn't how things should go.

If that infact happens your chip battery has went bad and you'll need a new chip. As mention moats is very easy to work with to swap out. I'm on my second chip, sadly prior to the new design...almost tempted to send this one in for peace of mind.

-Tim

Last edited:

DrFishbone

SCCoA Member
I probably need to get a new battery....I can't remember - a they a standard button type?

Also, need to get to using that Jaybird chip that we won last year! lol

pro street rich

should finish up trailer tonight

well I have been working on getting one of my trailers ready for the trip. I started with the light that was out and wound up rewiring half the trailer. Then I looked at the wood deck and said it was time for a replacement That turned into a lot more work then I was looking for. The good news is the light is burning at the end of the tunnel and I can see it.. I should be done with this thing tonight or first thing wed morning with any luck...Ready for the shoot out....Rich

Quik95SC

SCCoA Member
I probably need to get a new battery....I can't remember - a they a standard button type?

Also, need to get to using that Jaybird chip that we won last year! lol

Matt, yes I think it is a 2025? or 3025? button style battery.

I just loaded my regular street tune onto my Jaybird from last year and it started and ran just fine, so now I wont get stranded.

Smitty

mywhite89

Cleaned the car up yesterday and drove it to work today! Ready to roll! I’ve put most of my focus into my tow vehicle. I’ve always borrowed vehicles from my brother or dad. Bought a 2013 Cadillac Escalade because you gotta go gangster if you want the big engine! Had to give it a little more horsepower before the even as well. Stuck a cold air intake, different plugs, 180 degree t-stat and a tune on it. Gave it a quick 25-30rwhp. Since my car is is slow, I’m calling out tow vehicles this year! Haub, your tow vehicle will be in my dust!

Last edited:

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
Cleaned the car up yesterday and drove it to work today! Ready to roll! I’ve put most of my focus into my tow vehicle. I’ve always borrowed vehicles from my brother or dad. Bought a 2013 Cadillac Escalade because you gotta go gangster if you want the big engine! Had to give it a little more horsepower before the even as well. Stuck a cold air intake, different plugs, 180 degree t-stat and a tune on it. Gave it a quick 25-30rwhp. Since my car is is slow, I’m calling out tow vehicles this year! Haub, your tow vehicle will be in my dust!

My tow vehicle has a smaller motor than my Sc but I am game... Wouldn't be the first lsx truck it took down :) BTW Its bone stock

mywhite89

My tow vehicle has a smaller motor than my Sc but I am game... Wouldn't be the first lsx truck it took down :) BTW Its bone stock

Lol, you better weld your doors shut so I don’t blow them off!!! I did some modifications so it could get out of its own way when towing!

ricardoa1

6.0? I'm not scared.... My little 3.5 will hold its own lol

He should be 6.2l.never understood making a 5500lbs truck faster than intended. But a supercharged Escalade moves pretty good. I’ll up one you both and challenge you in mpg haha. Never towed tho so don’t have a comparison. But my 18-19 city 22-24 highway on 22s is pretty sñick.

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
Ahh didn't know they put a 6.2 in them that night be a close race. Most Ppl run mid 14s with my truck in stock trim

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
I've absolutely destroyed my buddys Silverado ss 6.0 truck. And ran his ss 6.0trailblazer and could hang with it but it had more top end

Last edited by a moderator:

mywhite89

Yup, mines got the 6.2 V8 in it. They make 403hp stock. It actually moves out pretty decent, but it’s definitely heavy. I was really surprised with all the timing and fuel trim settings that rob power on those vehicles. They rob power and command lots of slip to the converter just to make it smooth. I’d rather let it have full power through the shifts.

As far as fuel economy.....eh not gonna beat anyone on that. Above that, it requires premium from the factory.

If I ever upgrade superchargers on my ctsv, it might get to have the factory one.