'35th' participated in first car show today...

Kit Sullivan

Got the freshly-painted '35th' all cleaned and polished up, got the glass all sparkly, vacuumed and shined up the interior...and it was off to her first official car show.
About 150 cars, although there were lots (way too many) new Chrysler LX-series cars(300/Charger/Magnum) there...mostly just one cartoon-colored Charger Daytona after another.
Only two other 'Birds of note: A nice red '64 convertible with the 'sports roadster' cover and the obligatory red '57.

Sadly, my '35th' did not fare well. It just didn't seem to garner any interest. The few that even stopped to glance at it for a second could care less that it was supercharged, or a '35th' anniversary car, or anything.
Even the fact that the 'Super Coupe' is the fastest production T-Bird ever made failed to raise an eyebrow.
(It is the fastest production 'Bird, right?)

My Mustang grabs first or second place at nearly every show it goes to, so I was having withdrawl symptoms, sitting there all alone in my folding chair not having anyone asking any questions about the car!

Obviously it didn't get a trophy, although I think the 'fix was in'. More than half of the awards went to cars that were 2005 or newer. What's that all about?
This show was a bit too 'open' for my preference. I like the shows that have a cut-off year, so the field is limited to cars that you don't see with in showrooms at the same time.

Oh well, I had a good time anyway...took the family to dinner at 'Bob Evans' and a a cruise-in right down the street afterwards and met a bunch of new car-nuts to hang out with.

I'll take the '35th' to few more shows in the next few months and we'll see how she does!

Last edited:
Got the freshly-painted '35th' all cleaned and polished up, got the glass all sparkly, vacuumed and shined up the interior...and it was off to her first official car show.
About 150 cars, although there were lots (way too many) new Chrysler LX-series cars(300/Charger/Magnum) there...mostly just one cartoon-colored Charger Daytona after another.
Only two other 'Birds of note: A nice red '64 convertible with the 'sports roadster' cover and the obligatory red '57.

Sadly, my '35th' did not fare well. It just didn't seem to garner any interest. The few that even stopped to glance at it for a second could care less that it was supercharged, or a '35th' anniversary car, or anything.
Even the fact that the 'Super Coupe' is the fastest production T-Bird ever made failed to raise an eyebrow.
(It is the fastest production 'Bird, right?)

My Mustang grabs first or second place at nearly every show it goes to, so I was having withdrawl symptoms, sitting there all alone in my folding chair not having anyone asking any questions about the car!

Obviously it didn't get a trophy, although I think the 'fix was in'. More than half of the awards went to cars that were 2005 or newer. What's that all about?
This show was a bit too 'open' for my preference. I like the shows that have a cut-off year, so the field is limited to cars that you don't see with in showrooms at the same time.

Oh well, I had a good time anyway...took the family to dinner at 'Bob Evans' and a a cruise-in right down the street afterwards and met a bunch of new car-nuts to hang out with.

I'll take the '35th' to few more shows in the next few months and we'll see how she does!

dont get so down,thunderbird sc's are only like by thunderbird sc people anyone else just thinks its an lx. untill you say hey its supercharged no one knows.....:eek: ;)

Wheres some pics :p

Oh, I'm not down. I'm just used to 'holding court' and this was a big change for me!

Pics? Geez, I've posted about a gazillion pics of the car on this forum already!

But here's a couple more!

Attachments

• FUNNY PICTURES 044.jpg
    FUNNY PICTURES 044.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 91
  • FUNNY PICTURES 056.jpg
    FUNNY PICTURES 056.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 107
S. C.

In a way I agree.........most folks just see a T-bird or Cougar. They have no idea what a MN-12, 35th is, an XR/7 or S.C. Folks at work know there is something different about my S.C. and it's fast. My Sons each drive MN-12's a 94' 4.6 LX and a 95' LX with an 03' Explorer aluminum P.I. an 01' Mustang GT trans with a Mark 8 3.73 8.8. Unless you are into MN-12s or cars in general..........no one knows but us.

1971 Mach 1
429 Cobra Jet...one of only 612 with this combo of parts.

I am the original owner, orderd it in August of 1970, took 2 1/2 months to be delivered.
Drove it full time for about 25 years. Wrecked, repaired and repainted it eight times over the years...has over 325,000 miles on it now.
Fully restored it in '97...took about 4 years or so.

Here's a few pics:

Attachments

• Kit @ work & Mustang pics 043.jpg
    Kit @ work & Mustang pics 043.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 64
  • pics 003.jpg
    pics 003.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 74
  • pics 007.jpg
    pics 007.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 58
  • pics 028.jpg
    pics 028.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 72
Haha, get used to it. ;) Humbling experience is good for the soul, or so I'm told.

We took our XR7 on Hot Rod Power Tour 4 years (see Connie Dalke 1990 XR7) and got only minimal interest. Did get our picture on Hot Rod Mag once, not by accident either. ;) The most interest I ever got was when I put it on the dyno right behind a 63 Galaxie that had a semi "built" 390 tri-power. He managed 306rwhp and about 325rwtq. He drew quite a crowd because the car looked and sounded awesome. The crowd was dwindling as they pulled the XR7 on the dyno but when we pulled off 313rwhp and 365rwtq without breaking a sweat there was quite a buzz for awhile. ;)

The only way we these cars get interest is if you can surprise someone somehow. You have to experience the car to appreciate it.

BTW, nice fin on the back. I have the same one on my SC, not too many people have that style.

David

Oh, I'm not down. I'm just used to 'holding court' and this was a big change for me!

Pics? Geez, I've posted about a gazillion pics of the car on this forum already!

But here's a couple more!

oh yea i seen i few pics of her around but untill i see the pic i didnt know that car or your lol...;)

The only way we these cars get interest is if you can surprise someone somehow. You have to experience the car to appreciate it.

David

I think my road racer would attract a lot of attention with its cam'ed V8 and screaming exhaust. I'm sure it will raise an eyebrow or two out on the track once it gets there.

Shane

I found the same thing when I first got mine on the road, and entered a couple of shows. Not many people know details about these cars.

I decided to make up a sign covering the main areas that have been changed on the car, and it has worked wonders in the interest in the car.

show-sign.jpg

r-s.jpg

Haha, get used to it. ;) Humbling experience is good for the soul, or so I'm told...
BTW, nice fin on the back. I have the same one on my SC, not too many people have that style.
David

Thanks, David. I really do like this spoiler. It was on the car when I bought it, and I liked it immediatly.
I hate the wing-type spoilers, only because they have been plastered on every vehicle out there it seems. They are just so 'blah' to me now.

One of the things about the MN-12 I really dislike is how the rear of car lost that muscular-looking 'hunched-up' look around the 1/4 and rear deck lid area. The rear end just slopes off with no 'muscle' look. The straight-thru character line that runs the length of the car makes it worse.
If you look at nearly every other Ford before it, you will see what I mean: The Fox-bird, Mark VII, every Mustang...etc. They all have it except this car.

I feel this spoiler kind-of adds a little more visual 'weight' to the back end and kind of puts some 'muscle' look back in by bulking up the upper portion of the rear.
Or maybe I'm just nuts...but thanks anyway!

Having seen your Mustang, I think I know why the Thunderbird is getting less interest. :D

You need more chrome and brighter paint! j/k

Yep! Bright red with black trim and lotsa chrome is the perfecr combination for an attentian-getting muscle car.
My car (Mustang) regularly gets 'best of show' or 'peoples choice' when there are often much nicer or lower mileage cars right next to mine!

I did a show in Bradenton last year, and the guy next to me was the original owner of a 71 BOSS 351. It only had 25,000 miles on it and it was PERFECT!
He had every single scrap of paper that ever had anything to do with this car...every reciept for everything, even EACH TANK OF GAS!
He bought the car brand-new from a Ford dealership about 3 miles down the street from where the show was being held that day.
I was really digging his car the whole day.
It was 'Grabber Lime Green' with 'Argent' (silver) trim and a white interior.

His car was (and is) much nicer than mine and all orginal!

I got first place in my category, 'peoples choice' and 'best engine' that day...he got nothing.

I felt guilty that he didn't beat my car.

But that red, black and chrome has a mesmerizing effect on people, for sure!

Hey, I ain't complaining...I like that color combo too! That's why I ordered it that way when I bought it new!

Back