5spd shifter rebuild kit

sven6100

SCCoA Member
Anybody ever buy the rebuild kit for the 5spd super coupe? I got the kit but the directions suck and im not sure how to go about installing said kit. Any help or detailed instructions would be great!! Thanks.
-steve

Anybody ever buy the rebuild kit for the 5spd super coupe? I got the kit but the directions suck and im not sure how to go about installing said kit. Any help or detailed instructions would be great!! Thanks.
-steve

I bought two of these Dorman part #917-551 kits for my early style M5R2 transmissions (from 90 and 93 cars). According to my

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=144208

Here's what I commented on TCCOA:
There is only one problem I found with this kit: the 3 bolt holes for the tophat "dust shield" didn't line up for an M5R2 transmission (which looks like a circular tophat with one side cut off). The hole alignment problem is easily solved by using the metal plate from your old shifter as a template on where to drill 3 new holes. It's a 5 min fix.

You will also need to reuse the flat metal plate with the 3 holes as a washer to "sandwich" between the new tophat dust shield and the wavy metal shim that's included in the kit. This puts additional pressure on the plastic bushings that have worn out in your old shifter.

Hope this helps.
-g

I literally just ordered 3 of these kits a day ago.

I did this rebuild on a shifter many years ago with OEM parts (no kit was available) and back then you had to cut one of the cups/sockets in half in order to install it...that's unless you wanted to press a metal pin out. Is that still the case with this dorman kit?

I really have no idea. I just found a shop manual for this car from a ford dealer that closed. Hopefully that gives me some info. My main question is still.... do i install from inside the car or do i have to under the car? Im thinking i have to be inside the car which brings up the question of how do i remove the plate thats covering the shifter? Is it the bolts that hold the ebrake assembly?

It is all done from the top.

Remove the center console, unbolt the ebrake, unbolt the shifter boot, then the shifter itself. You will need to make a relief cut in the carpet at the top of the tunnel to get the shifter boot off.

I literally just ordered 3 of these kits a day ago.

I did this rebuild on a shifter many years ago with OEM parts (no kit was available) and back then you had to cut one of the cups/sockets in half in order to install it...that's unless you wanted to press a metal pin out. Is that still the case with this dorman kit?

I don't recall having to cut any cups with the dorman kit -- they slipped right on as needed.
The only thing I needed to do was drill the right hole pattern for mounting.
-g

Wow that was pretty easy. Except the hole pattern is way off!!! Not even close to right. But that was simple to fix i am a machinist and have my own machine. So i made slots instead of holes. Cant believe the difference with how it shifts. When i pulled it apart there was absolutely no sign of the top or bottom bushing!!!! Well thanks for the insight guys. If anyone needs some custom machining done check out my facebook business page. Savage Products llc

I don't recall having to cut any cups with the dorman kit -- they slipped right on as needed.
The only thing I needed to do was drill the right hole pattern for mounting.
-g

Wow that was pretty easy. Except the hole pattern is way off!!! Not even close to right. But that was simple to fix i am a machinist and have my own machine. So i made slots instead of holes. Cant believe the difference with how it shifts. When i pulled it apart there was absolutely no sign of the top or bottom bushing!!!! Well thanks for the insight guys. If anyone needs some custom machining done check out my facebook business page. Savage Products llc

Really? I received the dorman kits and found an old shifter I had in my parts bin to check things out. How were you able to install the bottom plastic cup without removing these pins? sven6100 did you remove these pins?

I did replace everything. All parts that came in the kit were used. I might remove the wave washer to loosen it up a bit. The shifter is a little tighter than i would like.

Back