90 running very rich

fstcoup

SCCoA Member
My 90 previously had what I believe was a ground problem, when I was starting it the cranking was very weak and slow but once started it ran great. It sat for a couple of months and now will crank as it should but with the key on the cooling fan runs constantly and when it starts it's so rich that it won't idle and is blowing black smoke, I have replaced the dis , coil, Tps, Lrmc with no change. I'm thinking a ground problem any help would be appreciated.

Do you have a chip in the EEC? Fan running with key on is usually the chip not making good contact or if its a quarter horse maybe the battery died.

Key on Fan running is what happens when the battery dies on the QH chips... I would think this is your problem.

-Tim

Thanks guys, I pulled the battery and the car ran the same so I 'm thinking you're correct. Now my problem is when I tried to remove the battery I broke the lower connection to the board. Any ideas how I can correct this.

Attachments

• CIMG4326.jpg
    CIMG4326.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 105
  • CIMG4329.jpg
    CIMG4329.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 114
  • CIMG4328.jpg
    CIMG4328.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 107
Ouch...get in touch with Moates and they send ya a new one with a removable battery. This has happened to several of us and there is a lengthy thread in Non Tech about it, recently revived also.

I'd let them know you tried to remove the battery yourself and broke it also...usually they do a swap if not tampered with, hope that doesn't cause you issues in the exchange.

-Tim

Thanks Tim, I sent it off to David Dalke yesterday , he told me they're guaranteed and would help me out , he also did the initial tune on it which was a big relief. I do appreciate the help from you both.

Last edited:
Back