90 SC crank sensor

I recently had the sensor replaced on my 1989 and it was so difficult to access we ended up pulling the harmonic balancer to change it out.

It's pretty difficult to get it out but more importantly is the caution need to install the new one there is some adjustment room in those so be extremely careful installing and make sure it's not hitting they are expensive and you only want to purchase it once make sure you search on here for all the replacement tips you can find not saying your unsure of what your doing at all I'm just saying I'd rather see you take full advantage of all the information you have available. I did mine but I had the entire engine out which of course made it alot easier but I spent alot of time here looking into

Thanks for the reply. 40 + years in the biz. But thought I'd see if anyone had some hard earned tricks. Most expensive CKT ever ordered.

Yeah with our cars all the discontinued parts from Ford make it expensive to keep them going unfortunately I don't know where all you've looked but SCP claims to have some that were made to help with the shortage on them they aren't cheap but I bought my used one before SCP had them and it was $200 used which definitely hurt the wallet

I've removed it a handful of times with the harmonic balancer still installed it's not fun but can be done.

Craftsman sells some very small wrenches in metric ...that allow just enough room to get the bolts to remove/reinstall and all adjust one installed. Below is a link to some I found on Amazon. Beleive the bolts are 5.5mm or 5mm...been a while since I've wrenched on early model stuff.

SPEEDWOX Mini Wrench Set Metric SAE Ignition Wrench Set Open End and Box End Standard Combination Wrench Spanner for Assembling Furniture Small Equipment Auto https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N3ZG2N...t_i_NK0FSGPZRRWRBZVT0T45?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Also once installed I used a few layers ofpainters tape on the vein of the balancer. Then rotate the vein so that the sensor is in the area with the tape and bolt it down. The sensor is magnetic the tape make sure you'll have clearance on either side of the vein.

-Tim

I suggest ditching the plastic cover and take a good look at the balancer. Most crank sensor failures are from contact with the trigger wheel that is bolted to the backside of the balancer, when the balancer wobbles.

I suggest ditching the plastic cover and take a good look at the balancer. Most crank sensor failures are from contact with the trigger wheel that is bolted to the backside of the balancer, when the balancer wobbles.
Thanks for your reply. I've changed a 100 or so and have seen that once. But I always check as Ive been in the biz 40+ YRs. Thanks

Hi, no not SC's but everything from Lexus to Yamaha outboards
OK, I changed out the CKP today. Must have a 5.5 mm wrench ( think Barbee doll) had to pull crank pulley forward about a 1/4 inch. then align by sight. All from under car. Hope that helps someone

Back