91 giving me hell again

Jtr

my 91 auto is not giving me any power to my radio/blower motor/ interior lights/security lock pad. Checked all fuses in both boxes. the dash lights/cigarette lighter/power locks and windows both work...any clues what i could be dealing with?

I’ll bet your ignition switch is bad. In my 1990, my ABS wasn’t charging, the turn signals didn’t work and the A/C didn’t work. My ignition switch was slowly splitting in half and the connections were getting worse.

May be 2 different issue's? My keyless pad, interior lights (& I think power mirrors?) all quit at the same time & it was a ground wire in the harness running along the outside of drivers seat. Everything worked when seat was back all the way-guess it pushed down on the mat enough to make connection. Wire was full of corrosion.

I'd agree with Ign. switch causing blower & radio issue's though.

damn this'll be my third ignition switch but ill give it a shot. and ill try to find that ground youre talking about cus i feel like youre right

got under the seat n checked it out. there is no ground coming off the bundle??? the ones that break off under the driver seat are only for the power seat and some continue on to the center console. also i found some wires hanging and after tracing them back under the kcik panel. it seems like someone spliced them on to some wires for some reason. no idea why.(Pnk/Ylw, Pnk/Grn, Blk/Blu from one bundle) (BRN, Purp/Ylw from another) all have wires spliced on that lead nowhere just hanging free. maybe theyre for the alarm?

Attachments

• IMG_1239[1].JPG
    IMG_1239[1].JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1241[1].JPG
    IMG_1241[1].JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 9
The harness I was referring to runs from dash back to the trunk & along the outside of drivers seat. That may the 1 end of it that you are showing in pic with splice's in it. In a rectange kind of plastic conduit if I remember correctly. I think the break/corrosion in mine was almost directly under the power seat switch. You could see the "green crusty's" & where the insulation of a few wire's wore againest each other as soon as I opened it up spread everything apart. My cars are canadian & this 1 saw salt for its first 6-8 years which would've accelerated things I'm sure.

I think the wire that was causing me issue's grounded the keyless module in trunk to the keyless pad on door. The module also used this ground to control the interior lights when it was activated by keypad. I've got a new Ford hinge that I've never installed & it has instructions & a short jumper wire to ground the door to the rest of body, as the updated hinge used bushings that acted as insulators. (Nylon on striker pin too) It always surprises how & where some things are grounded.( keyless module in trunk being grounded by drivers door)

I have a 87 Turbo Coupe that that wipers wouldn't go to parked postion under hood when shut off- just buzzed. Wiper switch on them is on colunm. The wiper motor needs ground from switch to engage park motor. Steering colunm ground wire from dash was pinched by clutch pedal. Took me a while to find that. Really glad I had o.e.m. manuals to find some of these things.

After looking in the EVTM, I think the door keypad is grounded at G300
which is a ground buss located on LH floor pan at base of A pillar. I think its actually
behind the LH kick panel, not on the floor itself. Light green/yellow wire.
Interior/courtesy light wire is black/light blue. That is for a 1990, not sure if colors
changed or not through out the years.

Back