93 SC (347 turbo) Engine damage and repair pics

The old coil might not look as snazzy, but if it's reliable...

I'm still running an old 8227 on my F150. I bought that coil in 1999.

MSD I have had no luck with there stuff either.

One build I been thinking about is BBF turbo but boy there would not be much room to work with. It takes alot of time to make that much stuff look that nice in that small of a space nice work.

So far no problems with the MSD distributor or Digital 6 plus ignition box, but this new style coil that is made in China has failed twice.

Doing something like a 351 based 392 small block wouldn't be bad and only slightly tighter fitting than the 302 based motor I'm using but would probably require an aftermarket hood for the additional deck height. Using a 460 based motor with a turbo would be a pretty tight fit, but if it was a track only build you could dump exhaust through the fender or the hood.

David

The old coil might not look as snazzy, but if it's reliable...

I'm still running an old 8227 on my F150. I bought that coil in 1999.

True...I don't go anywhere without the junky looking spare coil and a nut driver to change it. New design looks a lot cleaner, but I noticed it's now made in China and I'm guessing that probably has something to do with the poor quality.

David

coil

The new style coil looks a lot nicer. I wonder if the plastic coating that makes it look nice is causing it to overheat?

Got motivated and decided to finish putting the car back together and get it running Saturday. Chris Wise came over to help and after about 4 hours we had it back together and running. No runs, drips or errors that we can find but needs some work on the tune and the distributor may be out of sync with the MSD crank sensor, because it pops snaps and backfires if I try to give it any throttle input over 1500 rpm. The guy who does the Fast XFI tuning is supposed to come over sometime this week to sort out the sync issue and re-do the street tune, so I can start breaking in the new motor.

Here is a video I took right after the initial start up while idling. The smoke is from header wrap burning in and some oil burning off the turbo system hot side pipes.

[youtube]q3Adk4l3z6k[/youtube]

David

PS: Thanks Chris I really appreciate your help !!

Did some work on the 93 SC last night after getting some info from Dan Saitz. At initial start up on video above we couldn't it to rev over 1500 rpms without snapping and popping (aka breaking up). Problem was with the way I had the distributor set. With the Fast XFI and a disabled mechanical advance, the distributor is supposed to be installed with crank at 25 degrees BTDC with rotor pointing to #1 clyinder on compression stroke. I had it set at TDC zero and spark couldn't jump that far when computer would advance the timing. Now it starts easier, revs cleanly and just needs an exhaust leak at one of the v-bands fixed. Here is a video.

[youtube]hjySFMdaEBM[/youtube]

David

PS: This car has been sold to Miguel Lopez and he will probably be taking delivery of it within the next month.

That thing sounds deadly.

I'm curious, though.....why'd you sell it after putting in all that work?

That thing sounds deadly.

I'm curious, though.....why'd you sell it after putting in all that work?

Thanks....just thought it was time to get something else. I love this car, but maintaining and constantly improving two heavily modded SCs is really more than I felt like I wanted to continue doing. The timing of the sale was not what I anticipated, and I had originally planned to keep the car until reaching my 9 second goal. However an opportunity recently came along to sell it to a young and very capable club member, who I'm certain will get the car well into the 9s and enjoy it for many years.

I'm keeping my 91 SC and 14 Shelby GT500 so I still have plenty of Go Fast in the garage to keep me happy. I was thinking about getting a Hellcat Challenger to replace this car, but now I'm thinking an older Mopar might be a better choice.

David

Sorry to see you selling this car, but I completely understand that having 2 heavily modded SCs requires a lot of effort. If I were you though, after all the work you put into this thing, I would include in the sale a provision that the new owner has to let you run it down the track a few more times, just so you can get your 9sec pass! Plus, you don't want your last memory of driving the car to be the time you broke it!

Finally fixed a pesky PS fluid leak last night that kept dripping fluid from return hose connection on back of pump housing onto one of the exhaust pipes, causing a mess and lots of smoke. Now I just need to replace the DCC Mrk 8 fan control temp probe that I damaged when taking the car apart, then it's ready to come off the jackstands for some low boost road testing and data logging.

David

PS: MadMikeyL, Not really interested in racing this car before delivering to new owner. I had 2 or 3 years to go from 10.04 to 9.99 and didn't get it done, and it wasn't because the car didn't have enough power. I just wasn't really serious about the track numbers because it was built to be a fast street car not a track car. Now it's going to have more power and I suspect launching it without blowing off the rear tires may be even more difficult and might require using the fancy pants electronic boost controller I have disconnected or installing a co2 assisted real deal boost controller like the serious turbocharged racers use.

Last edited:
First time out of the garage under it's own power since breaking the motor in November 2013. Drove it for a couple miles around the neighborhood and everything seems fine. Throttle response feels real snappy and I had a hard time keeping it out of boost. Now I need to charge up the laptop and see if I can remember how to data log it to make sure tune is still good. Big thanks to Christopher Wise for all the help wrenching on her.

tbird%201%20020716_zpscmdhkg9a.jpg

tbird%202%20020716_zpsixd4fmvd.jpg

tbird%203%20020716_zpscizmwhge.jpg

tbird%204%20020716_zpsdilmrw4g.jpg

tbird%205%20020716_zpsh07rkubv.jpg

David

Exhaust leak is fixed and everything looks good to go for the 30 mile drive to Hyperformance on Saturday morning to check and adjust the tune for new cam.

[youtube]cBWV32vUnis[/youtube]

David

hold the phone here...

Exhaust leak is fixed and everything looks good to go for the 30 mile drive to Hyperformance on Saturday morning to check and adjust the tune for new cam.

[youtube]cBWV32vUnis[/youtube]

David

That can't be your car at your house.... there is not one BUD can to be seen anywhere... what gives with that??? The car does sound good I will say that, but no Bud????...Rich

That can't be your car at your house.... there is not one BUD can to be seen anywhere... what gives with that??? The car does sound good I will say that, but no Bud????...Rich

Rich,

Yeah...I hear ya I've been on a bit of a physical fitness thing since Jan 2015. I quit smoking cold turkey 15 months ago and then gained some more weight. Starting in Jan 2016 I've had a Fit Bit electronic tattle tale hooked to my pants. Been eating healthy and doing daily exercise and walking at least 2.5 miles a day. Part of the new diet is I try to only drink one or two beers a week and only on Friday, unless it's a special occasion. Since the 1st of the year I've lost all the weight I gained when I quit smoking, plus another 5 lbs and still on track for 1.5-2.0 lb. weight reduction a week. I feel much better and my lower back pain that made it super difficult to even wash my car, is now pretty much non existent.

David

glad to hear

Rich,

Yeah...I hear ya I've been on a bit of a physical fitness thing since Jan 2015. I quit smoking cold turkey 15 months ago and then gained some more weight. Starting in Jan 2016 I've had a Fit Bit electronic tattle tale hooked to my pants. Been eating healthy and doing daily exercise and walking at least 2.5 miles a day. Part of the new diet is I try to only drink one or two beers a week and only on Friday, unless it's a special occasion. Since the 1st of the year I've lost all the weight I gained when I quit smoking, plus another 5 lbs and still on track for 1.5-2.0 lb. weight reduction a week. I feel much better and my lower back pain that made it super difficult to even wash my car, is now pretty much non existent.

David

Glad that you stopped smoking and now are working on your weight. That is one thing that I need to do as well. I am way over weight and I too need to make a plan. I know I walk a lot at work and even with that I am still over where I should be... Good luck with that and hope I can drop some weight as well....Rich

Back